Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 AM

41 posts, read 71,819 times

Advertisements

My parents just bought a house outside of the city limits in Durham County. As it turns out, the propane tank that fuels the heat, gas stove, etc. is almost empty and the company that supplies the area says it will take a week for them to make an appointment and then up to an additional three weeks before they make a delivery. Do we have any other options? We will be without heat going into December.

We came from an incorporated area previously so we didn't think to ask the builders about propane levels, as we have always been on city gas. It just doesn't feel right to spend $650,000 on a house and have no access to propane for a month. What options do we have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Portable tanks? (If you spent $650k, what's another $100-$200 to get a 100# tank to tide you over?)

Call another company (there are many that supply it, and for a house that size, the sale will be big. Someobody wants your money).

Be persistent, I'm sure you can be up and running in days, not weeks. Probably before teh weekend...

Old 11-21-2013, 11:12 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Does your current supplier have another price if you want faster service? Are they trying to get you to pay extra? I'd also suggest getting a portable tank to tide you over.

Old 11-21-2013, 11:59 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njraised95 View Post
My parents just bought a house outside of the city limits in Durham County. As it turns out, the propane tank that fuels the heat, gas stove, etc. is almost empty and the company that supplies the area says it will take a week for them to make an appointment and then up to an additional three weeks before they make a delivery. Do we have any other options? We will be without heat going into December.

We came from an incorporated area previously so we didn't think to ask the builders about propane levels, as we have always been on city gas. It just doesn't feel right to spend $650,000 on a house and have no access to propane for a month. What options do we have?
Maybe I'm reading too much into what you wrote, but "the company that supplies the area" should be companies. You typically have a choice of LPG providers. In a rush situation you may buy some time by going with the existing provider. Or maybe not. I would guess that anyone heating a large home with propane would be a welcome customer by most providers. So call around ...
We use propane for our gas logs and outdoor grill so we use about 150 gallons a year. Price and service definitely varies among providers. Just me, but I'd never heat a home with propane due to cost.

Frank

Old 11-21-2013, 06:41 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,110 times
The company who owns the tank is the only company that can legally fill it. Sorry, but that's the way the propane world works. Purchase the tank from the company and you can choose which company fills it. You will have to fill out a credit app and show proof of tank ownership before another company will fill it.

And I hate it for you if the tank is owned by McCracken. (The sticker on the tank is who owns it.)

Old 11-22-2013, 07:32 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
The company who owns the tank is the only company that can legally fill it. Sorry, but that's the way the propane world works. Purchase the tank from the company and you can choose which company fills it. You will have to fill out a credit app and show proof of tank ownership before another company will fill it.

And I hate it for you if the tank is owned by McCracken. (The sticker on the tank is who owns it.)
That is true - the company owns it.

However, the gas companies work it out amongst themselves so you aren't absolutely tied to whoever the former homeowner had.

if you want to change, then you will arrange rental of the tank from the new company. They figure out if they are going to replace the tank or assume ownership of the tank sitting there. Usually, they will inspect it and see if it is in tradeable shape. Either way, it is not your problem, it is their problem. What you want to know are all the costs associated with tank rental, starting a contract, etc so you aren't hit with surprises.

So call around different companies - We used Little River propane when we lived in North Raleigh and they were always great to us.

they do/will run credit checks and that may take some time to put through. plus, it is thanksgiving holiday so their folks may not be working as much next week which could lead to a bit of delay. Hop on the phone today and call around for options.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:50 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
Our tank was supposedly owned by McCracken, though there was no sticker on it at all. As part of closing, we asked McCracken to provide proof of ownership, something--anything--that showed a purchase or lease agreement. They could not provide anything showing their ownership.

Though there was no sticker on it, they were the "official" propane provider of our neighborhood. Since they could not provide ownership, we sent them a letter, stating that we were declaring ownership and no longer requested their services. Then we called Ferrelgas and they came out that day, inspected it, and filled it for us.

Now, while you're verifying ownership or non-ownership, find out if there's a sticker on the tank, call them, and ask for a fillup and that you're a new customer, and if they'll accommodate a quick fill, and that would go a long way to assure that you'll stay their customer. All while trying to secure ownership proof, and finding the least-expensive, reliable provider.

Last edited by adams_aj; 11-22-2013 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: typo fix

Old 11-22-2013, 08:52 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
Buy your own tank then any company can fill it.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:34 PM

3 posts, read 10,660 times
I know they negotiate. One company allowed me to present them with a competitor quote an they matched it. I did have to sign for one year (not auto fill). My propane bill is CRAZY high. Someone (they are on natural gas) mentioned my fitting is scewed /not working right and uses too much gas. for a 3100sq house I use about 300 gal/month (furnace /stove/hot water heater/2 adult/2 teens) in the winter.

They say that I should get a plumbing company to check the gas company work. Does that make sense to anyone on propane gas ?

Old 12-01-2013, 02:31 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njraised95 View Post

You bought a brand new home and the builders didn't have the propane tank filled or inform you of who owns the tank? Doesn't sound like the norm to me.

However, if that is the case, I'd call my Realtor first and then my builder.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary