Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 07:47 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
They are going to throw the book at ya. You will have a criminal record so every hiring manager will see that box checked and never hire you for a good job. Good luck.
Please cite your sources. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 11:32 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,504,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
They are going to throw the book at ya. You will have a criminal record so every hiring manager will see that box checked and never hire you for a good job. Good luck.
WELL.....if time was taken to read the posters original post, one would have noticed that said original poster was under 18 at te time of the incident. As such, any criminal record could be exponged and would not show on a criminal background check.

I give you the same advise I gave the OP.....slow down.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:51 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggJoe4181 View Post
Arrested for speeding? Wow.

As other have said, be polite in court. Listen to your lawyer. Slow down.
Technically, not arrested for speeding but for reckless driving if I remember - anything 15 over or over 70 is reckless according to the law.

First ticket, with a lawyer, you might be able to get reduced to 9 over, but if you're under 18, aren't you already a probationary driver in NC? Judge might see fit to hold onto your license until you're 18.

One thing i would not do it take a prayer for judgement in your case - a suspended sentence with three years probation has a way of coming back to haunt new drivers.

If you hired a lawyer, let them handle it. I don't think you actually have to even appear in court, although it might win you some favor if you are respectful about it.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,584,994 times
Did you get cited a misdemeanor for Reckless Driving? I would expect the lawyer to get it reduced to a really strict moving violation, points, suspended license. I would recommend you pretake a driving course prior to your court date and bring the certificate with you to help establish you are trying to take some corrective action on your own.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,916 times
Yeah- if you got charged with careless and reckless they aren't going to plea it down unless you take a driving class. You'll have a few court dates to get that done though.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 4,613 times
Hey guys, I just wanted to come back and say what ended up happening. Lawyer got it down to 14mph over ticket (79 in a 65 rather than 92) so no reckless driving charge, and I didn't get another license suspension. I took an 8 hour defensive driving course before the court date so that (and the lawyer) probably helped.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:58 AM
NG2

62 posts, read 147,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRaleigh View Post
Hey guys, I just wanted to come back and say what ended up happening. Lawyer got it down to 14mph over ticket (79 in a 65 rather than 92) so no reckless driving charge, and I didn't get another license suspension. I took an 8 hour defensive driving course before the court date so that (and the lawyer) probably helped.
How much did it end up costing your parents?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:49 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRaleigh View Post
Congratulations - much more reasonable. 65 zones should be 80 in most cases anyway so the punishment "fits" the crime. Good luck, get a detector to protect yourself from the revenue generation machine and drive safely!

Old 03-29-2013, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 4,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NG2 View Post
How much did it end up costing your parents?
The lawyer was about $300 if I remember correctly? I'm not sure how much more it will be when you add court fees and any car insurance rate increases on to that. I'm try to get a job to pay as much of it as I can back to them but being a student who's going off to college in a few months makes that a little difficult.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:06 AM

206 posts, read 310,552 times
I don't understand why he was arrested for spending, makes no sense. But yeah, be polite. I got a couple spending tickets when I was 16, paid the fine and kept going. No suspensions ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary