Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2013, 06:21 AM

30 posts, read 118,809 times

Advertisements

Took a drive to the area and figured out I've I bought in one of the communities right off the highway my commute would be quicker than living in Holly Springs or Fuquay. They have some pretty nice new homes out there. What can you guys tell me about the area? I noticed signs for future shopping but who knows if it was put up years ago and soon means in 5 or more years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2013, 07:00 AM

924 posts, read 2,103,410 times
Paging RaleighLass, RaleighLass please pick up the beige courtesy phone...

Anyhow, yes, Knightdale is a good place to live, and if it's convenient to work and other specifically located activities for you, it could be an excellent choice. Knightdale is a very nice town, a place that up until recently was a tiny rural hamlet along the railroad, but has boomed over the past couple decades, and is now mostly suburban, with most of both the attendant positive and negative associations that go with that. Being suburban, it's very family- and kid-oriented, with lots of young families, but I've met quite a few single people of various ages in Knightdale, too. The schools are good, albeit not generally quite as highly rated as some of the public schools in the western half of Wake County. Historically, the eastern half of Wake County has been a lot less developed than the western half, largely because it's much further from Durham and Chapel Hill, the RTP, and the airport. But the eastern half has grown a lot, too, and now has a good range of all the modern suburban amenities, if still not quite as much as the western half. (The signs you saw implying "future shopping" realistically may well have been a combination of projects actually under development, and ones that were planned back before the real estate market collapsed and are now stalled indefinitely, since there tend to be a lot of both in that area.) And the flipside of all that is that, as you've observed, housing and land prices there tend to be somewhat lower, so you can get more house for your money. And Knightdale is also excellent for access to the Downtown Raleigh, to the coast and the beaches, and to Interstate 95. So Knightdale is definitely worth looking at for someone in your situation. Personally, I think I'd actually prefer to live in Knightdale than in Holly Springs or Fuquay-Varina, but there's nothing wrong with those places, either, and any could be a good option.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:08 AM

206 posts, read 310,529 times
Knightdale is nice but has grown so big! My aunt lived there in the early 70's when it was considered the sticks where all the hicks lived lol I doubt people think of Knightdale that way now.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
TomPope, LOL!!! Sorry, had my ear buds in, didn't hear the phone ringing!

Tom pretty much summed it up for you. I like living in Knightdale because it is quiet, safe, and traffic is light since they built the 64 bypass and highway 540. Prices are very good. But this is the time to buy here. Many developers have their eyes on K'dale and I expect to see things really take off once the amphitheater is built in K'dale, along with the new park, YMCA and the 900 home subdivision off 64 business. i love the location because I can be most places in 20 minutes - downtown, North Hills and Cary Mall. The closest shopping to us is in Kdale, Midway Plantation where the Best Buy/TJMaxx is. Then there is Triangle Town Ctr Mall 10 minutes from Best Buy/TJMaxx. I can be in Wilmington in 1hr 50 mins; Durham 40 -45 mins (35 mins. weekends and non rush hour).

The town has 12,00 residents, so it's still small. And we have an awesome, young mayor who is also an attorney. He does a fabulous job for us. He grew up here so really cares about the community. Our Chamber of Commerce also does a fine job for us. We are strong community of many young families, as well as singles, with people of all races and nationalities.

It doesn't sounds you need info on schools but if you do, here is what I can tell you. Historically our schools have not been as well supported by the school board as those in Raleigh or Cary. However, it is changing, and Knightdale HS is STEM school, and one of our three elementary schools recently ranked above the average of all our county's schools. I hope I quoted this correctly? And, a well-known area Charter school company is exploring putting a school here. My daughter attended our local middle school in Wendell (as well as a Wake Forest school) and is in honors classes at a Raleigh magnet school. We have many bright kids and excellent teachers here.

Feel free to DM me or post here if you have other questions.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
Rolesville and Knightdale are going to see a lot of continued growth imo with a complete (and toll free) 540 offering good access to the west side of Raleigh. The areas have already been growing for a while or established and I don't think that is going to change any time soon.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:15 PM

600 posts, read 1,220,850 times
I love Knightdale, though I am glad we got into a magnet school as I was not happy with our base school.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:13 AM

4 posts, read 13,472 times
Default RaleighLass 900 homes off 64

Where are they building the 900 homes? We are going to be selling our home in search of a new one in the next week or so.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:42 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJac View Post
Where are they building the 900 homes? We are going to be selling our home in search of a new one in the next week or so.
Near Lowe's Home Improvements so that they will back up to the area where the new YMCA, park, and amphitheater will be. I understand they will be built by the developers who built Preston in Cary.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 AM

Awesome! I hope they start breaking ground soon!!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:47 AM

I was able to find the link to the Knightdale station project map. Knightdale Station
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary