Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 PM

206 posts, read 310,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I have to be honest here - and I've really been enjoying your "native Raleigh posts" - but did you just get out of jail or something? You have never been to Durham, Chapel Hill, and you don't know about wcpss problems - I'm being serious here, what's up???

Honestly, I know nothing about the school system since I graduated in 1976. I never had any kids. My brother's son went to school in Benson where they live. My best friend and his wife have a dog they call their kid.

Why would I go to Durham or Chapel Hill for no reason? I have had zero reason to leave this area. My family lives in Raleigh and Garner, except my brother in Benson and my best friend in Clayton.

I have lived close to and almost in Garner most of my adult life and everything I need is in Garner, Clayton or on Capitol Blvd. I have never had the desire to go anyplace else in the state. I went to the mall in Cary once about 10 years ago but it's so far from Garner and I don't like going out that far. Crabtree Mall is what I grew up with and I only go out there a couple times a year. I'm a local guy and always will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM

206 posts, read 310,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Oh my lord - it's not 1975 anymore!!! Do you yell at the kids to get off your lawn too?

I know, and things have changed mostly for the worse with so many new rules and regualtions and people coming and going and never stopping to smell the air. How many people even still sit on their porch, or in their yard in the evenings talking to their family or neighbors while drinking lemonade or tea? It's rare to see anymore.

People can walk on my grass all the want, but be careful of the dog do do.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:22 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
One thing that people can do is carpool neighborhood kids . If you are dropping off your own child its not hard to carry a few extra kids. Then they are sleeping later & safer..
Funny - it doesn't seem that long ago that a thread on why so many parents drive their kids to school brought out a number of comments complaining about parents who coddle their kids, why can't kids ride a bus, etc. ...

Old 03-26-2013, 07:34 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
There have been several studies that show later start times are beneficial for teens in particular because of the hormonal changes their bodies are going thru in adolescence.

Should A School Change Start Time For Sleep? Later School Start Times Improve Student Performance: Study
Teen Car Accidents Linked to Early School Start Time : Discovery News : Discovery News
Education Week: Experts Make a Case for Later School Start Times
Late-starting schools try letting teens sleep in - Health - Children's health | NBC News
Schools Waking Up to Teens' Unique Sleep Needs

I'm glad CHCCS has been thoughtful about this. I don't think early start times are good for kids in any number of ways and especially teens.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:37 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
I really think the young kids should start early and the older kids should start later in the mornings. The older kids need their sleep, the only big issue is the traffic later in the day. Everyone letting out all at once (including teenage drivers) could be a hot mess.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Very sad news story. Who is it that figured out schools should be delayed two hours because of some isolated risk of ice on a sidestreet or secondary road? Well, they should have figured out that school buses don't need to be running around in the dark while kids are walking to or standing around at bus stops. It sounds like in this case you can probably point a finger at human error...but maybe...just maybe daylight could have prevented this horrible accident.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:44 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
I really think the young kids should start early and the older kids should start later in the mornings. The older kids need their sleep, the only big issue is the traffic later in the day. Everyone letting out all at once (including teenage drivers) could be a hot mess.
They proposed this in WCPSS a few years ago and both students and parents threw a fit. A lot said they need their older students home first to watch younger ones, others said it would interefere with afterschool sports and others said they needed the time afterschool to work.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post

Why would I go to Durham or Chapel Hill for no reason? I have had zero reason to leave this area. My family lives in Raleigh and Garner, except my brother in Benson and my best friend in Clayton.

I have lived close to and almost in Garner most of my adult life and everything I need is in Garner, Clayton or on Capitol Blvd. I have never had the desire to go anyplace else in the state. I went to the mall in Cary once about 10 years ago but it's so far from Garner and I don't like going out that far. Crabtree Mall is what I grew up with and I only go out there a couple times a year. I'm a local guy and always will be.
Bless it, I want to take you to see Franklin Street myself

Old 03-26-2013, 08:33 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
There has to be a way to separate the signal that stops traffic from the signal that
alerts the kids to cross & board.

Maybe I don't understand the process, and please help me understand, but if the bus is approaching
a stop and signals with its lights and cross bar for traffic to stop isn't that the same signal that the kids watch for to know when to cross & board??

It may not be a factor in this case if she crossed before the bus signaled but there has got to be a better way.

Does anyone know if she was crossing at the bus stop and the bus wasn't there yet ??

Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There have been several studies that show later start times are beneficial for teens in particular because of the hormonal changes their bodies are going thru in adolescence.

Should A School Change Start Time For Sleep? Later School Start Times Improve Student Performance: Study
Teen Car Accidents Linked to Early School Start Time : Discovery News : Discovery News
Education Week: Experts Make a Case for Later School Start Times
Late-starting schools try letting teens sleep in - Health - Children's health | NBC News
Schools Waking Up to Teens' Unique Sleep Needs

I'm glad CHCCS has been thoughtful about this. I don't think early start times are good for kids in any number of ways and especially teens.
I went to Enloe high from 82-86 and we started at 7:40ish. It's not a new thing for Wake.

That said, I support later start times. My 15yo gets up at 5:30 to take the 6:16 bus to Green Hope High.

We are NOT morning people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary