Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:21 AM

794 posts, read 1,324,994 times

Advertisements

Atlanta is approximately a 6 hour drive, depending on which area you stay in and if you hit the city in rush hour (which I would suggest planning around).

My first thought was Heck No, its just another big city! But they do have a pretty good Aquarium and the Coca Cola Museum would probably be fun for kids...especially when you get to the part about being allowed to taste the Coke products from all around the world. If it is warm out, the Centennial Olympic Park will have the fountain on (water shooting up from holes in the ground).

I faintly remember there was a museum there geared towards kids but can't remember the name of it. Perhaps do a quick google search.

Yep...here it is:
http://www.fernbankmuseum.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 08:25 AM

51 posts, read 101,710 times
Default reply

We are heading to Islamorada in the Keys. Looking forward to temps in the low to mid 80's.
We went to Williamsburg last year and my children had a blast. Busch Gardens was a ton of fun as was Great Wolf Lodge. Nice golf courses and good restaurants. It is an easy 3 hour drive from Raleigh.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Besides the aquarium I found Atlanta pretty boring for kids. It takes 6-7 hours to get there.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:10 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Besides the aquarium I found Atlanta pretty boring for kids. It takes 6-7 hours to get there.
Agree. Too far for what it offers. Would rather go to D.C. - the toddler can get out and roam the National Mall if needed

Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwhm View Post
For the past two years, we have been going to the great wolf lodge in july.....when I find the beach too hot to go to.... thanks. I am thinking of atlanta.....just to visit...maybe two nights....is it a fun place for young kids? how is the drive?
There is a Legoland Discovery Center in Atlanta. That looks like a lot of fun. And the World of Coke is a blast. We've been wanting to do a long weekend there, too. I think that's a great choice!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM

494 posts, read 815,864 times
For those staying in the area, downtown Raleigh has the Science Museum that is free. The NC Art Museum is also free and there is also the art outside just off the trails. The Sarah Duke Gardens would also be nice this time of year. Frankie's is pretty popular for a day adventure.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:20 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,142,535 times
working on building my never ending projects of raised garden beds =)

Howevr, for my birthday I have 10 days planned in the triangle area.( memorial weekend /first week of june)

Old 03-28-2013, 05:48 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,086 times
Atlanta was on our short list, as was Myrtle Beach, Wilmington and Williamsburg. We decided to stick around and do a few local things . Southern Season is on our list for this weekend, as well as shopping and a movie at Streets of Southpoint. We also have bowling, Science Museum in Raleigh and Pullen Park on our list of things to do next week.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 AM

65 posts, read 139,686 times
Great ideas- especially since I'm still new to the area. Back home in TX it's already 80 degrees so if we were still there, we'd make our usual beach trip, but with it still being so cold here, the beach is probably out. Keep the ideas coming!

Old 03-29-2013, 06:08 PM

100 posts, read 290,285 times
We just got back from two nights in the outer banks and it was cold! We spent about 20 minutes on the beach and my six year old did play in the waves (fully clothed). My 18 month old was miserable and did not want to be on the beach. We spent one morning at the aquarium and checked out the kite festival at Jockey's Ridge--both were a lot of fun. Overall it was nice to get away and eat a few meals out but I think we'll go later in the spring next time. I would suggest going somewhere else or stick around the triangle and partake in all the fun things we have to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary