Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 11:50 AM

75 posts, read 116,390 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend might be getting a job in Research Triangle Park. We are looking to move somewhere that has somewhat of a Jewish community. It doesn't have to necessarily be a town with a lot of Jews, I would just like to know that I am not the only Jew in the area. If we are renting, we will need somewhere that allows 4 dogs. If buying, I'd like to live somewhere with at least an acre of land. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 AM

101 posts, read 245,823 times
Jews? What are those?

Just kidding, but only kind of. Your best bets are probably North Raleigh or Cary since those areas seem to have to highest concentration of relo'ed Northeasterners. Even so, the chosen people are very few and far between down here, it seems.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:04 PM

Any rental homes that will allow 4 dogs? That is my biggest struggle.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:40 PM

19,383 posts, read 27,635,389 times
Not likely going to find a rental nearby RTP that allows four dogs and has 1 acre of land. Have you visited this area yet? It's the suburbs - consequently, small lot sizes.

You might find something farther out, maybe Garner or Clayton? Longer commute time for sure.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:43 PM

22,633 posts, read 36,582,375 times
A rental, 4 dogs, 1 acre AND near where there are a lot of Jews? Not gonna happen here. I see you're looking in other parts of the country as well. I'm from NY - not sure this area is for you.

Old 04-01-2013, 12:59 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,241,417 times
There are plenty of Jewish people down here. I don't know what those folks are talking about! There aren't very many ultra orthodox Jews, but plenty of reform, conservative and orthodox synagogues. I have several friends with kids in Lerner Jewish Day School as well. I know plenty of Jewish people who live on large lots with dogs (and goats even) in the area. Finding Jews is not a problem!! The rental house that allows 4 dogs might be more of an issue, but could probably be done. Good luck. Maybe there are more Jewish folk in Chapel Hill and Durham. It seems like in every other family we're friends with at least one of the couple is Jewish. Most of them are reform or not particular observant, but we've got lots of menorah-owning friends!

Synagogues | JHFNC

Old 04-01-2013, 01:12 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,901,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There are plenty of Jewish people down here. I don't know what those folks are talking about! There aren't very many ultra orthodox Jews, but plenty of reform, conservative and orthodox synagogues. I have several friends with kids in Lerner Jewish Day School as well. I know plenty of Jewish people who live on large lots with dogs (and goats even) in the area. Finding Jews is not a problem!! The rental house that allows 4 dogs might be more of an issue, but could probably be done. Good luck. Maybe there are more Jewish folk in Chapel Hill and Durham. It seems like in every other family we're friends with at least one of the couple is Jewish. Most of them are reform or not particular observant, but we've got lots of menorah-owning friends!

Synagogues | JHFNC
I was going to say the same thing. We have a large Jewish community in my neighborhood; Beth El Synagogue is in our neighborhood so that may be a factor. We're also close to the JCC and other facilities on Cornwallis Rd. near Duke.

I think the four dogs in a rental house may be the larger challenge, but could be doable.

Old 04-01-2013, 04:51 PM

Thanks everyone! I meant if I was going to buy a house I'd want a Jewish neighborhood, but a rental would be different. If I rent, the main focus is my 4 dogs, not the religion or the size of the property. Thanks again!

Old 04-01-2013, 05:07 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,679,378 times
Here's what I did: I stalked the website of the place of worship I wanted to join. Joined the list-serv. Eventually I sent an advertisement to be posted that I was looking for a rental (which I took down myself when I finally got settled). I also drew a circle around the location so I could look for a home w/in walking distance and have like-minded neighbors. That worked well for me, I really love my neighborhood.

I can also recommend Meetup as a way to connect with like minded people (there have to be some Jewish groups on there)

I'm pretty sure if you took the same approach you could start to zero in on a location that would work for you.

Yep, 4 dogs is going to be a big challenge.

Old 04-01-2013, 05:58 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,241,417 times
There are a lot of Jewish folks in the area, but they are mixed into the neighborhoods just like all the other religions. We don't really have Catholic neighborhoods, or Muslim neighborhoods, or Baptist neighborhoods or Presbyterian neighborhoods, or atheist neighborhoods, either. We're pretty integrated as far as religion here. I think the suggestion of looking near a synagogue sounds reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary