Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 07:58 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Thank God
Well, in all fairness, that was in response to someone from Seattle who was looking for culture, diversity, liberalism, and coffee shops.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:52 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
Welcome!
Which part of Riverwood are you looking at?
The original area or the new side that doesn't look like it was originally meant to be a part of Riverwood and has a separate street entrance? We're in the original section, not far from the Lake. We've only been here a year-still not convinced this is the place for us, but many people love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 04:31 AM

35 posts, read 65,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Welcome!
Which part of Riverwood are you looking at?
The original area or the new side that doesn't look like it was originally meant to be a part of Riverwood and has a separate street entrance? We're in the original section, not far from the Lake. We've only been here a year-still not convinced this is the place for us, but many people love it.
We'll be in the new section -- Alpine Valley. Sounds like you have reservations about the neighborhood? Can I ask what you do and don't like about Riverwood?

Old 07-02-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonDixonDweller View Post
We'll be in the new section -- Alpine Valley. Sounds like you have reservations about the neighborhood? Can I ask what you do and don't like about Riverwood?
I went over and looked at some of those houses to see how they compare. Seemed "less expensive" as far as quality, but more space for the money. Our house has no hall closets, no linen closets, no storage,so our garage is full of things with nowhere to go and I have to go digging through bins to locate things.
My reasons are trivial to some, but I was hoping our move would find us in our last house ever. My kids spent the last 9 years in one house and we really wanted to finish their childhood in one place but... I am not happy with the house-it's in the custom home part and there are a ton of things wrong, the yard is a slanted mess so useless and is a pond when it rains, which is a lot, there are a ton of mosquitoes and ticks-our yard is full of trees, and we have been here a year and have yet to meet neighbors. My kids spent all summer in the yars at the old place up north, but hate coming outside here because our yard is such a bug magnet. I was told you cant even cut down trees without permission from the neighborhood! Everyone where we are keeps to themselves. I am used to being in a large city within minutes of everything, and here we can't even make a "quick" run to target or anything. There closest shopping mall is at least 20 minutes away, and the neighborhood promoted "shops at Riverwood" but there is a dog groomer, a spa and an over-priced ice cream shop-oh, and a new beer-making supply store. There are no sidewalks in the neighborhood,and the streets are narrow over here-I've seen scary driving with kids walking along the sides of the roads! There's not a lot to do, and Food Lion is so far from what I am accustomed to in shopping!
But, many people love it here-just a drastic change for me.
We ended up here because I wanted neighborhood schools, but please don't ask my opinion of these schools. If Wake Co. could have given us neighborhood schools, we'd be there. As a teacher, I'm very critical of what is taught and how, so I have high expectations.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:56 PM

58 posts, read 89,975 times
mason.. we have been to riverwood many times as we were thinking of buying in there.. its so nice and everyone that we've encountered was super friendly... not sure of your kids ages but the child center was wonderful... we have decided to buy elsewhere just cause we got more house for our money outside of riverwood... but riverwood was def top on my list... but we didnt buy in a development that has a pool so that we could join fred smiths amenities... lol

Old 07-03-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I am used to being in a large city within minutes of everything, and here we can't even make a "quick" run to target or anything.
But, many people love it here-just a drastic change for me.
Goodbyesnow, thanks so much for the feedback! We live in a VERY, VERY sociable neighborhood in Maryland (DC suburb) right now and weren't willing to give that up. We recently met a soon-to-be neighbor in Riverwood, on the Alpine Valley side, and he told us how sociable all the neighbors on Swann Trail were and how they regularly organize pizza and ice cream socials. Not sure where you are but perhaps you could start the organizing on your street??

When we first moved to our "young" neighborhood 8 years ago, folks socialize but not a ton. Some of the moms made it a priority to get the kids and adults out of the house to socialize. I know it feels strange in American culture but we just kept buggin' neighbors about showing up to informal social events and eventually almost everyone "came around" and now we're like one big, diverse yet happy family.

Anyway, that's a bummer about your yard and lack of storage space. That can really make a home less functional. Hope we can possible meet when we finally move down later this summer/early fall.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:32 AM

BTW, doesn't Riverwood have a social committee or something like that to organize neighborhood events?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:45 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I haven't had any clients buy in Riverwood but I have had lots buy in Flowers and the surrounding area. Most of my clients tell me that the newer neighborhoods seem to have more folks that WANT to meet others since many of them don't have friends in the community.

Summerset Place isn't brand new but my clients that live there tell me it is a very social neighborhood.

A good way to get the "dirt" on the neighborhood is to do some driving or walking around. Talk to the neighbors. Most are happy to speak with you and happy to tell you what they like and don't like about the neighborhood. I've had clients walk their dogs around the neighborhoods they are considering. You have to stop and speak when your dogs want to socialize with each other!!!

Vicki

Old 07-03-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I haven't had any clients buy in Riverwood but I have had lots buy in Flowers and the surrounding area. Most of my clients tell me that the newer neighborhoods seem to have more folks that WANT to meet others since many of them don't have friends in the community.

Summerset Place isn't brand new but my clients that live there tell me it is a very social neighborhood.

A good way to get the "dirt" on the neighborhood is to do some driving or walking around. Talk to the neighbors. Most are happy to speak with you and happy to tell you what they like and don't like about the neighborhood. I've had clients walk their dogs around the neighborhoods they are considering. You have to stop and speak when your dogs want to socialize with each other!!!

Vicki
My daughter's friend's family just left Riverwood for Flowers 3 months ago. They already are socializing with neighbors, know everyone on the block and the kids are outside playing-everything I wanted. If I wouldnt have to switch my kids' schools, I'd be there in a minute since we still havent committed to buying our home that we're "renting with option to buy".

Old 07-03-2013, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonDixonDweller View Post
BTW, doesn't Riverwood have a social committee or something like that to organize neighborhood events?
Supposedly. I have twice signed up just to get emails of events, but they don't email. Tomorrow on the sign entering the neighborhood says "4th of July parade". No info, no place, time, etc. I googled it and now know the time, but dont know if its a community parade or one to watch? hard to get updated info. They had a Christmas block walk and when I tried to look up info on the neighborhood website, it hadnt been updated in TWO years!
I tried calling the neighborhood number twice this week and just got voicemail.
Our little street has only 4 houses, so it's really hard to get together with people. We've been here a year and the lady next door has never even said "hello". Her husband says hello in passing. We've crossed paths and have kids the same age, but they prefer to keep to themselves. The next house over-same thing. I'm not one to go knocking on doors to meet people-I took Xmas cookies over-no one answered. I left them at the door, but they never even acknowledged getting them-and I told the husband when I saw him out that I'd be dropping them off later. Maybe we look scary! maybe we offended them because he is a pastor and invited us to his church and we didnt go?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary