Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:06 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times

Advertisements

Our daughter gave us a book for Christmas one year right after we retired called "Back Roads of North Carolina" by Kevin Adams. I have lived in North Carolina for most of my 67 years and this book introduced me to things that I did not know were in this state.

We have found Indian mounds, a covered bridge, a place to search for fossils in Aurora, and strange named towns following the small trip routes. You can probably find it at your local library along with many other books along this line.

Also the state puts out a booklet of special events that happen throughout the state and the dates they happen. Back to the library or a welcome center to find this booklet.

She also gives us "Our State" magazine every year. I recommend any new resident would benefit from reading this magazine. Most libraries in the state subscribe to it.

Maps of the state which can be found at the welcome centers and some libraries also have a list of popular happenings in the state.

Last edited by NCN; 04-05-2013 at 07:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 PM

121 posts, read 177,732 times
You could probably spend a lot of time just traveling around and going to all of the festivals. I *think* I found this link on city-data, but I've had it saved in my bookmarks for a while.

North Carolina Festivals

Old 04-07-2013, 07:33 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,059 times
I second those that mentioned Smithfield and Wilson - less than an hour away from Raleigh. Also, even closer, park and walk downtown Clayton on a warm Saturday morning. It's only 15 miles from downtown Raleigh, but you will think you are in Mayberry...............

Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 PM

51 posts, read 101,710 times
Default reply

Cashiers,Little Washington, Highlands, Boone, Swansboro, West Jefferson, Morehead City/Beaufort, Dillsboro, Edenton, Chocowinity, the Down East area of Carteret County including Harker's Island,and Blowing Rock are places we really enjoy visiting.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM

Default reply

I just noticed you requested towns within two hours away. Most of the one I mentioned do not fit the the bill.
Elon College is a nice quaint town. New Bern is a great town to visit. Warrenton for antiques. Southern Pines and of course Pinehurst are great. Good luck.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
Chocowinity? There is NOTHING there! It's like 2 sq miles.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:08 PM

Default reply

[quote=lamishra;29024321]Chocowinity? There is NOTHING there! It's like 2 sq miles.

You are so right. I was thinking about Hertford.Don't know why I typed Chocowinity. Hertford is a great town to visit right on the Perquimans River in NE NC.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Did anybody say Seagrove? Huge pottery heritage and well worth exploring and w/in 2 hrs of Raleigh.

A little further afield, up in the high country, there are tons of great little towns to explore, but we especially like Valle Crucis.

And if you haven't made it over to Chapel Hill and Carrboro yet, please do. I definitely think we've got some charming towns, esp the downtown areas.

Last edited by poppydog; 04-07-2013 at 09:50 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 08:32 AM

108 posts, read 151,797 times
Tarboro for sure - I lived there for 2 years. Sometime after I left, two chefs who had previously worked at the World Trade Center opened a restaurant: On the Square | Great Food, Fine Wine | Tarboro, North Carolina

Old 04-10-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewstopia View Post
Tarboro for sure - I lived there for 2 years. Sometime after I left, two chefs who had previously worked at the World Trade Center opened a restaurant: On the Square | Great Food, Fine Wine | Tarboro, North Carolina
Fantastic restaurant. Folks drove hours to eat there. Abram's has good country cooking and Cue as well. Always buy a gallon on their sauce. Some of the best ENC barbecue sauce around IMO. You can order online as well. Abrams Catering and Amusements - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary