Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 19,454 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Me and my wife are expecting a baby girl (sarah) who is also a precious one (coming after three misscariages).we just moved to Raleigh (near Glenwood Avenue ) ,having no insurance and applied to Medicaid .Any advice regarding the cosr- benifit (quality of care and cost of normal vaginal delivery)between wakeMed and Rex Hospitals ?

Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 12:10 PM

168 posts, read 1,211,960 times
No idea but I love the name Sarah

Old 10-28-2007, 12:50 PM

75 posts, read 237,946 times
Congratulations! Contact each hospital and see what their rates are, then go with the cheapest one. I doubt one will provide exceptionally better service over the other one. Bring your own diapers and wipes, deny anything that they give you (they bill you for everything, even if it seems free), and breastfeed. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2007, 01:16 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
Do you have an ob? Maybe they would be able to help as well, I know they are billed separately at the hospital. I also know, that without insurance, you are given a lower price for everything. I know I had to check whether my insurance covered an epidural, (which it did) and the cost was around 850 dollars. I agree that they will charge you for everything!

Definitely talk to your doc, if you have one.

Leigh

Old 10-28-2007, 01:50 PM

709 posts, read 934,611 times
No insurance I think you can make a deal with one of the hospitals up front. Try to get the discount they give insurance companies since you will be paying cash.

Good luck and congrats.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:17 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
WakeMed should work with you if you get Medicaid. The cost should be covered by the program.

My co-worker's daughter got hers paid in full thru Medicaid when she was having a rough time.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 19,454 times
Default Baby Srah on board

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Thank you, guys, for your kind support .This is a wonderful forum and the people in Raleigh are very nice and helpful. Well, guess what! Baby Sarah (Daddy’s little princess) was finally born normally i.e., without c- section, and using epidural; done at Wakemed Hospital as per your kind advise. There we had a nurse, Sister Judi (Not sure about the spelling) who had most of the delivery job done, along of course with the OBGYN, and we were really blessed having her around. All in all, people there are humble, helpful and easy going.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Now, with the cute and funny Baby Sarah on board, we are awaiting the approval of Medicaid, to cover the cost of delivery (It would come around 5000$ inclusive everything and after 60%discount) that what we would pay provided paying it promptly and if otherwise not approved by Medicaid.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]The question is, does any one know some body that might help us gets it approved by Medicaid, just as a precaution.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]It seems that while Mammy is dealing with the sweetest and most emotional aspects of raising a kid, Daddy’s mind would always be preoccupied whit how to get away without paying extra money .But isn’t sweet to be a new Dad?( would I change my mind after 4 kids ?May be, who knows!).[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Thanx, every body .[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 11-03-2007, 12:37 PM

120 posts, read 206,236 times
Default What's all the worry, you could easily have the child at home!

Seriously. We have grown very spoiled here in the States. We spend millions every year on birthing centers. You could easily have a specialized person come to your home and help deliver the child. It is much safer and sanitary.

No outside germs! No strangers handling your baby.

I believe someone in here might know the "title" of the person that helps with at-home births.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:40 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,665,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtofigureitout View Post
Seriously. We have grown very spoiled here in the States. We spend millions every year on birthing centers. You could easily have a specialized person come to your home and help deliver the child. It is much safer and sanitary.

No outside germs! No strangers handling your baby.

I believe someone in here might know the "title" of the person that helps with at-home births.
It's normally a midwife who does that. This is not an option for everyone though. Amazing that you don't know this, since you say it's a safer option....which implies you've done research on it.

Personally, I'd no sooner perform surgury on my child myself just to save a few dollars then give birth without medical support should I need it, but others have other feelings.

Home birth is not 'much safer' or 'more sanitary'....it can be both....but your bias is clearly showing.

Old 11-03-2007, 02:32 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
Congratulations on the new baby! You may want to take her to Wake Health Services for her pediatric care. They have social workers on staff who can probably help with the Medicaid, and they have a sliding scale for payment. They are close to Wake Med. Wake Health Services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary