Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2007, 12:25 PM

354 posts, read 1,217,952 times

Advertisements

I am going to be in the Triangle area for a few days looking at potentially moving to the triangle and I will be visiting Maida Vale in SW Durham, Governor's Club in Chapel Hill and Renaissance at Regency and GreyHawk Landing in Cary.

Which areas around these communities should I visit to get a good feel of what it is going to be like living there? Looking for only positive experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 05:43 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,370 times
Well, Maida Vale isn't really an example of what it's like to live in the Triangle, BUT, if I didn't already have my home, I'd SERIOUSLY consider Maida Vale - those homes are so fabulous they bring tears to my eyes. (Be sure to look at models by several builders...they aren't all the same 'quality'.)

Also check out Colvard Farms. It's a different style from Maida Vale, but very, very nice, if you like nature trails, and a setting that is 'apart' from busy life. Again, be careful which builder you choose. IMO, Lloyd Builders is the best at Colvard Farms.

Between the two, I'd prefer to live at Colvard Farms, but in a Maida Vale home

If you like an older community with FABULOUS houses, check out Hope Valley (original Hope Valley - not the 'off shoots'). It's probably my favorite neighborhood of all.

Have fun visiting!

Old 10-28-2007, 06:10 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
ch123, if you're going to be speaking to sales people at these communities, I suggest you ask the sales staff. They will be able to tell you where the closest shopping areas are to each community. If you visit those, you'll get a good idea of the day-to-day lifestyle for each community.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurl View Post
Well, Maida Vale isn't really an example of what it's like to live in the Triangle, BUT, if I didn't already have my home, I'd SERIOUSLY consider Maida Vale - those homes are so fabulous they bring tears to my eyes. (Be sure to look at models by several builders...they aren't all the same 'quality'.)

Have fun visiting!
So which builder(s) you thought had the best quality home?

Old 10-28-2007, 08:35 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
So which builder(s) you thought had the best quality home?
I don't recall the actual names in Maida Vale, but if you ask the agent to show you homes by each of the builders, the 'issues' will be very apparent to you. Nothing big like sloping floors (that I noticed), but too many smaller issues like poor paint, unfinished portions of built-ins (that they thought would go unnoticed), uneven sun affected flooring, etc...

It's obvious in Colvard Farms, too. You can walk me into just about any home over there, and I can tell you if it is a Lloyd home, or not. I don't know the names of the other builders there because they are all equally 'substandard' compared to Lloyd.

There's been a lot of talk builders cutting MAJOR corners in some of these more expensive homes. A PERFECT example of this was the $3million+ home in the Hills of Rosemont home that was on the Parade of Homes. Talk about, "yuck." Visible carpet seams, puckering carpet, unmatched/coordinated hardware in the bathrooms, and the list goes on... I was mad for the guy who bought the home.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:25 AM

85 posts, read 255,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch123 View Post
I am going to be in the Triangle area for a few days looking at potentially moving to the triangle and I will be visiting Maida Vale in SW Durham, Governor's Club in Chapel Hill and Renaissance at Regency and GreyHawk Landing in Cary.

Which areas around these communities should I visit to get a good feel of what it is going to be like living there? Looking for only positive experiences.
I like the Governers Club alot, personally for me it is a little out of the way.
I looked at lots there but felt the best were taken long ago and would only consider a resale.But it is defiantly a great place. In my mind I think you should check Franklin St down town CH and Carrboro.The Restaurants are great.

To me Cary is great, it reminds me of Long Island 20 years ago (g. I know some feel it to be sterile), but I find it clean, convenient and full of interesting people.

I love the fact that there are not signs all over the place and all though it makes finding things a bit harder at first there is every thing one could possibly need including pizza that is every bit as good as what can be found in NY. I'd suggest just driving around Cary and of course you would have to check out Raleigh.

Good Luck!

Old 10-29-2007, 10:09 PM

I definitely have Franklin Street on my list as all the grocery stores are there. Plus I wanted to check the Southern Village area too.

Need some ideas about Cary as I have absolutely no idea what is there and where.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary