Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 AM

1 posts, read 8,558 times

Advertisements

Arrived home yesterday to find water flowing out of my garage AND front door. All this water came from the second floor, mind you, through two light fixtures in the ceilings. Seems my installers of our new washing machine, absent mindedly left off the drain hose. (taped to the back) It's interesting, I do remember on of the installers ask the older fellow about hooking it up and the older fellow replyed, "we can do that last, after we push it back." WRONG DECISION. It's still taped to the back of the washer! They are sending a "representatve" out today... We'll see what happens there. What they might not know is I'm a general contractor and happen to know that they are facing over $10,000 in repairs. Anybody else had a claim in NC with Lowes? Maybe a little heads-up would be nice! Thanks, Alan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 09:20 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,120,247 times
My parents had something similar happen though with a different store. Their homeowner's insurance took care of fighting the store for the repair money.

Old 04-08-2013, 10:45 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,507,081 times
Agree with Eva, Alan - sometimes (usually) it is easier to let your insurance company pay you and then subrogate against the company.

Good luck, sorry this happened.

Old 04-08-2013, 02:36 PM

21 posts, read 71,984 times
I was in the same boat (or needed a boat) with a dishwasher install done incorrectly by Sears. Sears "referred" me to their third party insurance company to duke it out with the insurance company of the installer that they had sub-contracted with !!!!!!! Make it easy on yourself and go through your insurance company. We did and the installer did finally pay our insurance company and we have no "black mark" against us.

Old 04-08-2013, 05:42 PM

250 posts, read 689,323 times
Heard recently of someone with a situation VERY similar to yours. Lowe's told her that they are self-insured. She has settled for MUCH less than I think the damage calls for. I suspect her actual damage is in the same dollar range as yours.

I think she probably didn't know how to best handle the situation and based on my understanding (which may not be accurate, but I believe it is) I think Lowe's took advantage of her.

Would be interesting to know if the Lowe's contractor who caused your problem is the same one who caused this woman problem; that is, does Lowe's keep using contractors who cause this much damage? If so, would that strengthen a home owner's case against them?

Old 04-08-2013, 09:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 76,500,303 times
[Mod cut: deleted post removed]

It may be smart to try hard to avoid involving my insurance company for a water claim, if one could.
I think I would catch the store manager and explain the "Facts Of Life," and let him do the leg work. They will.
I wouldn't want a water claim, or even an inquiry, on my CLUE Report, particularly if someone else was to blame.

Last edited by RedZin; 04-09-2013 at 08:23 AM..

Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,174,404 times
As a former insurance agent, I agree I would not want a water damage claim on the CLU report. We had a water line to our washing machine spring a pin hole leak back in January. Fortunately, it was on the first floor, but still caused nearly $1k in damage to the flooring. My carpet cleaner sucked up nearly 4 gallons of water from the carpet in the closet adjoining the laundry room. I can only imagine the amount of damage for an upstairs laundry that caused water to flow from 2 exterior doors.

In our old house, we had Lowes install carpet (not the same situation, I know) and their installers did a terrible job. Used liquid nails to secure carpet at the top of the stairs, didn't use a carpet stretcher, left staples and chunks of the old padding under the new stuff, terrible job with the padding on the stairs, stapled the carpet down around the perimeter of rooms instead of stretching and using the tack strips like one would expect. They came out, saw the terrible job and refunded us the entire cost of the carpet...over $14,000. So see what happens when you interact with them before getting insurance involved.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:54 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,174,404 times
"CLUE" report. Typing too fast and left off the "E"

Old 04-09-2013, 08:19 AM

43,011 posts, read 76,500,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
"CLUE" report. Typing too fast and left off the "E"
LOL
I thought you were correcting MY spelling.

What IS a "CLUE Report," anyway?

Old 04-09-2013, 10:56 AM

9,121 posts, read 14,660,572 times
If Lowes uses their insurance will it still hit the CLUE report? I thought it was by address, but it's all so secretive who knows.

This is a crappy situation and $10k might be on the low side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary