Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 12:59 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
IMO, this is the way to go. I'd rather do the red-eye and "hope" to be able to sleep. If you can't sleep, you at least get to waste the next day in the comfort of your own home. If you took a daytime flight, you waste that day on a flight.
It depends on your preference. I did the red-eye out of SoCal (LAX/ONT/SAN) a lot when I was living out there but still working for a company here in RTP. I was always completely wrecked by the time I got to RDU, even when I was on the LAX-RDU nonstop. The overnights from ONT and SAN required a stop at ATL, so at least that forced me to wake up! Also, for whatever reason (cost, I'm guessing), there were always an ungodly number of young children on those red-eyes, and a lot of them spent the entire flight shrieking loudly. Fortunately, I traveled enough back then to occasionally snag a FC upgrade, and that cabin was usually a little quieter.

I'm looking forward to trying out the new AA nonstop back to RDU when I head out west this fall. Leaving LAX at 8:20 AM and landing at RDU at 4:25 that afternoon sounds pretty good to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 08:49 PM

120 posts, read 248,647 times
Quote:
IMO, this is the way to go. I'd rather do the red-eye and "hope" to be able to sleep. If you can't sleep, you at least get to waste the next day in the comfort of your own home. If you took a daytime flight, you waste that day on a flight.

2 beers and a sleeping pill before the flight, and you wake up at RDU at 6AM, feeling like a spring chicken! (Last time I did the Delta flight, I ended up going to a wedding and a long reception the next day. Would have missed all that if I flew in the daytime. Not sure which would've been better. ) ;-)
I did this about a month ago (first Delta NS of the year) and then went to work. Let's just say it wasn't my most productive day.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:34 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lb27608 View Post
Also, for whatever reason (cost, I'm guessing), there were always an ungodly number of young children on those red-eyes, and a lot of them spent the entire flight shrieking loudly!
I am continually amazed by parents who don't have a clue about how to calm or entertain their young children on plane trips. The kids get squirmy, they'e uncomfortable, their ears hurt, etc. and they start screaming. After a few shushes and maybe a baggie of goldfish crackers, the parent(s) ignore the kid and the glares from weary fellow passengers.

If you have to switch planes a couple times, at least you get a new selection of screamers. On a non-stop, you're stuck the whole way.

I wish the airlines would put an end to the kids under 2 fly free policy. I know it's a boon for the parents, but it's a nightmare for the rest of us.

With flights as full as they are, there often are no extra seats so the kids are in laps with no seat belts which is not safe, and since the seats are so close together, not comfortable for anyone.

I suspect that if every baby and toddler required a plane ticket, there would be a lot fewer traveling.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:29 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I am continually amazed by parents who don't have a clue about how to calm or entertain their young children on plane trips. The kids get squirmy, they'e uncomfortable, their ears hurt, etc. and they start screaming. After a few shushes and maybe a baggie of goldfish crackers, the parent(s) ignore the kid and the glares from weary fellow passengers.
I took a nonstop from Dubai to JFK on one of the new Airbus 380 (double-deckers) in coach. Was scared to death as family after family loaded their multiple kids. It was one of the most pleasant flights I've ever had (15 hours in the air!!!!). All the kids were really well behaved.

Then JFK to RDU, I had a family with one kid behind me, the little bugger screamed, whined, and kicked the back of my seat the ENTIRE trip. Parents didn't do a thing, other than try to appease him, which clearly just egged him on for even more attention and spoiling.

Sorry for that rant, I'm not sure why I posted it, other than your post reminded me of a terrible experience. I was ready to KILL, but it really wasn't the kid's fault, it was the parent's, so I bit my tongue.

My point about the red-eye was only that the next day is going to suck anyway. So I'd rather fly at night, and have the next day suck at my house. This only works if you are not tempted to go into work the next day though. My philosophy is that I'd be flying if I didn't take the red-eye, so I'll sit at home and do some emails or maybe some calls, but I'm not taking the red-eye, and then going into the office the next day. My sacrifice, so my reward.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
To each his or her own. My children are adults now, but I don't mind children of any age on a plane. Nor do I expect children to behave like adults. I fly every week.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:07 AM

86 posts, read 146,943 times
Quote:
Then JFK to RDU, I had a family with one kid behind me, the little bugger screamed, whined, and kicked the back of my seat the ENTIRE trip. Parents didn't do a thing, other than try to appease him, which clearly just egged him on for even more attention and spoiling.
I would have asked the parents to stop the kid, and if that didn't work, spoken to the flight attendant.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan1 View Post
I would have asked the parents to stop the kid, and if that didn't work, spoken to the flight attendant.
I would encourage speaking to the flight attendant first.

There have been so many unfortunate incidences with people trying to deal directly with oblivious parents.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:08 AM

The sad fact is that so many kids spend most of their waking hours in daycare that in the few hours a week they spend at home their parents endure their behavior rather than attempt to manage it.

It's a lot of trouble to teach children to behave. You have to pay attention. Follow through. Make sure their needs are met. Keep them engaged. Distract them if necessary.

I would be so humiliated if I couldn't keep my kids from kicking the back of the seat or screaming on a flight. They could cut loose at home, but my kids knew there would be hell to pay if they didn't behave in public. When they were little we traveled all over with them. We brought food, toys, books.. and kept them engaged. I think one baby cried on a flight because her ears hurt, so I nursed her. Problem solved.

Recently read where the new excuse for misbehavior on airplane flights is explaining that the child is autistic. Apparently, that means that anything goes as the kid has trouble handling all the new stimuli.

It's an on-going conversation, but I would encourage asking the flight attendant for help. Sometimes they can move you.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
To each his or her own. My children are adults now, but I don't mind children of any age on a plane. Nor do I expect children to behave like adults. I fly every week.
The screaming and kicking the back of your seat doesn't bother you? Can you just tune it out?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:19 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,713,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The screaming and kicking the back of your seat doesn't bother you? Can you just tune it out?
Yep. It's an acquirable skill. After 30 years of flying somewhere almost every week on average, I'd be bonkers otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary