Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 09:47 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Don't be put off if some donated items are not offered for resale. Many Goodwill area groups do a large amount of commercial recycling. There's a fair amount of money in bulk textile recycling, e-waste and recycling of plastics and such. The funds earned are put back into programs to assist their job training programs and other work the organization is known for. (Disclaimer: I don't work for Goodwill, but have done some volunteer media work on their behalf. That's how I learned about their recycling initiative)

It's really a pretty good deal, keeps a lot of stuff out of landfills and enables additional program funding that the retail effort would not support.
Then they should be upfront with people who donate where their items are going to end up (in a store or be recycled or somewhere in SE Asia) so that people can decide where they want to send their donations.
It seems like a shady business that I no longer support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 10:09 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
Then they should be upfront with people who donate where their items are going to end up (in a store or be recycled or somewhere in SE Asia) so that people can decide where they want to send their donations.
I have worked for Goodwill (as well as The Salvation Army) in an executive capacity. When considering Goodwill's charitable worthiness, do remember that EACH Goodwill region is a essentially a separate company. Not really even a division of the National. They operate and are legally separate entities. So, Goodwill of Eastern NC has no connection with Goodwill of NW NC. The article talking about the questionable financial practices is solely a reflection of GW of EASTERN NC (which includes Raleigh, Durham, etc.)

That said, I have avoided donating to ANY Goodwill since 1998, following my (overpaid) tenure of employment with them. My donated goods and cash go to my prior employer, The Salvation Army.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:13 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlyBrown View Post
Where we moved from, Goodwill has been trashing the toys (and books!) for a few years, because of the law mentioned above. When I went to the Goodwill in Apex recently I was pleasantly surprised to see that they sell books.

I wish they'd post signs letting people know about this. I imagine they receives scads of toys as donations, and the donors have no idea that their items are being trashed. If people knew that, I bet most would choose to donate the toys elsewhere.
Yes, if they would let people know, rather than accepting them and tossing-what a waste! The employee took the stack from the donator without saying anything about not accepting them.
I know they don't take carseats due to liability, but many people, (including me) didnt know they dont take toys and am disappointed, not only as a shopper, but as someone who has donated.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 AM

7,824 posts, read 4,567,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I don't know that they are being deceptive about how the goods are being used. Have you seen ever seen a sign stating specifically where the items go? No, what you are told is the truth. Items are used to support the organizations goals of job training, etc. It's your own conjecture that it will be resold, and again, if your interest in donating is to support the organizational goals, what difference is it to you that the funds are generated by retail or recycling efforts?

Rather than listen to me, or worse, some competing organization with their own agenda, pick up the phone, get on their website or better yet, visit their offices and find out for yourself how Goodwill uses your donations. It's been my experience they are more than happy to walk you through the whole chain of what happens to your donation as well as explain how it benefits their clients. Granted, it's more work than just popping off on the internet, but these folks do a remarkable job and help an awful lot of people who need a hand getting their life in order.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Interesting I've always wondered about toys at Goodwill. The one in Cary just seems to have junk all the time which doesn't make much sense considering it's in Cary. Makes you wonder if they're selling the good toys on Ebay to make more money or something. I really hope they're not just trashing them!
I actually buy a lot of books on ebay and many come from Goodwills all over the country. Many of the stores must list the more valuable things on ebay rather than sell them on the sales floor.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:23 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,901,228 times
Another consideration is that older dolls and toys are very collectible and quite valuable in some cases - it is frustrating to think of such treasures being trashed by clueless, ill-informed employees in an effort to comply with a well-intentioned law which goes considerably too far and has results which were unintended by its authors.

If only employees had someone they could consult who had expertize in these areas, then these antique and vintage playthings could be sold for what they are, not toys for contemporary children, but valuable and often artistic pieces of childhood history offered for purchase by adult collectors.

Meanwhile, anyone with toys or dolls dating to the early 1960s or before should be urged to inquire if and how they will be offered for sale before donating them to charities. Otherwise, check with your local vintage toy or antique dealer!

Old 04-10-2013, 11:20 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
I don't know that they are being deceptive about how the goods are being used. Have you seen ever seen a sign stating specifically where the items go? No, what you are told is the truth. Items are used to support the organizations goals of job training, etc. It's your own conjecture that it will be resold, and again, if your interest in donating is to support the organizational goals, what difference is it to you that the funds are generated by retail or recycling efforts?

Rather than listen to me, or worse, some competing organization with their own agenda, pick up the phone, get on their website or better yet, visit their offices and find out for yourself how Goodwill uses your donations. It's been my experience they are more than happy to walk you through the whole chain of what happens to your donation as well as explain how it benefits their clients. Granted, it's more work than just popping off on the internet, but these folks do a remarkable job and help an awful lot of people who need a hand getting their life in order.
Already done that, which is why I no longer support GW of Eastern NC. There are plenty of other great ones out there that are much more transparent about how they handle donations and the money goes to support causes more in line with my ideaology.

BTW, their website says specifically that donations are sold in stores and never on the internet. No mention of trashing, recycling, selling to other countries or on Ebay. Why not just be upfront and honest about it if it's all supporting their cause? Their website says it's all sold in their stores and if it's not, then they are being misleading.

GCF Donation Centers & Stores®
Donating
The GCF Community Foundation, Inc.® operates 36 GCF Donation Centers & Stores® serving an area from Chapel Hill to the East coast. Donations to the Foundation are value priced and made available for sale at the stores which are operated by Goodwill Industries of Eastern North Carolina, Inc.

None of the donations are sold on the Internet. They are only available to customers in the GCF Donation Centers & Stores®.

From clothing to collectibles, GCF Donation Centers & Stores® stock a wide assortment of items with fresh merchandise arriving daily. The GCF Community Foundation® welcomes donations of useable clothing, small appliances, household items and furniture.

We regret we cannot accept items like televisions, computers, monitors, washing machines, refrigerators or bedding.

Last edited by lamishra; 04-10-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 11:42 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Goodwill also pushes collection box legislation:

https://www.baycitizen.org/news/law/...onation-boxes/

Old 04-10-2013, 11:53 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Well to be fair I remember about ten years ago one of the local news stations did an expose on those collection bins and found that most of them were run by BS organizations that were just turning around and selling the donated goods for high dollar in countries like Japan where used clothes from the US are sold as chic goods, then using the money to fund their own salaries rather than whatever charity cause they were claiming.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Well to be fair I remember about ten years ago one of the local news stations did an expose on those collection bins and found that most of them were run by BS organizations that were just turning around and selling the donated goods for high dollar in countries like Japan where used clothes from the US are sold as chic goods, then using the money to fund their own salaries rather than whatever charity cause they were claiming.

No way!!??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary