Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 04:00 PM

4,252 posts, read 3,170,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Plugging directly into the generator does not require a transfer switch. This is nonsense.

Off course you can plug an appliance directly into a generator. That is NOT what I was referring to! Many people wire the generator into the electric panel-without a transfer switch that is a big safety issue! By the way it is not always convenient to plug things into a generator as some things (like well pumps) are typically hard wired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 05:53 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,581,431 times
I was a victim of the tornado in HS a few years ago. I was without power for a few days. I used a Honda 4k generator that I borrowed from the inlaws and a few extension cords for my fridge and a light or two at night. I did look at a whole house NG system a bit afterwords, but I really don't see the value, it's a lot of money, to get a system that can take load from the AC etc and they require maintenance.

But if I did end up getting something it would be a 4-5k inverter generator and a patch panel so I could run just about everything but the AC.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:55 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,237 times
I have the same generator and unfortunately it is pretty loud.

I identified which circuits I would like to keep power to which include my gas logs (fan), Kitchen outlets and fridge. My office, Living room outlets and my bedroom outlets.

I then got a permit and wired in a 6 channel transfer switch. Now my generator connects to it with a single Nema 3 phase plug, I start the generator then switch over one channel at a time. This is a complete separate unit from my breaker box. I got load indicators and was surprised that with everything running my generator has no problem.
I also purchased a portable AC unit that can provide AC or Heat to our bedroom if needed.

If I was to do it again I would go Propane power full house one or convert my Storm Series to Propane and put an auto start, auto transfer switch on.

You will find that now that you have a generator you will probably never loose power! It is kind of fun to have all you lights on, at your house when the neighborhood is completely dark :-P

Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 AM

5,874 posts, read 6,940,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
Now my generator connects to it with a single Nema 3 phase plug, I start the generator then switch over one channel at a time.
I assume you mean "3-prong NEMA plug" ? While 100-amp, 3-phase service is available for houses in Mexico, very few US homes have 3-phase service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary