Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2013, 06:58 PM

1 posts, read 845 times

Advertisements

I am a single professional in my late 30s, working as a speech pathologist. I'm moving from Albuquerque, NM back to the RDU-area Memorial Day weekend. I attended college in the area, in the late 90s at UNC. I'm looking at moving to Durham. From what I understand, Durham has changed quite a bit, for the better, since the 90s. What are the safe areas of Durham to live in now? (It used to be pretty rough back in the day.) I'm looking for a rental townhome or apartment between $1,100 and $1,500/month. Are there any safe, hip/trendy/interesting areas, where I would be living amongst other single professionals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 07:18 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,110 times
I was a grad student in Chapel Hill in the early/mid-90's, and Durham has come a long way since then. I moved into Durham in 2008 after four years on the West Coast, having lived in Raleigh and Wake Forest before moving out there.

Check out the areas around downtown Durham. Many, many single (and married) professionals in your age range have moved into the area in the past several years. You can easily find an apartment in your price range downtown, too. West Village and The Apartments at American Tobacco are both in converted tobacco warehouses and are popular destinations. Those would put you within walking distance of everything in and close to downtown, including the Foster/Geer district that's home to Motorco Music Hall and Fullsteam Brewery, and the Brightleaf area, where you'll find many good restaurants and bars as well as The Casbah for music.

Just a bit to the west of downtown near the 9th Street area of Old West Durham, you'll find Station 9 Apartments and a large new development called Circle 9 that's under construction right now. There are also some newer apartment buildings out on Erwin Rd. near Duke. I'm sure others will have good suggestions for you, too.

Welcome back to the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary