Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 06:43 AM

18 posts, read 38,125 times

Advertisements

How many weeks of PTO do employees in Raleigh area generally get?

I am in Md and my co. offers 4 weeks of PTO (no sick leave) when an employee joins.

Is it ok to negotiate vacation once a job has been offered?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 06:51 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
It really varies. There are some companies like yours that offer a single, PTO plan to cover vacation, sick leave, personal and religious holidays, etc. Others still offer separate plans for each type of leave. I don't know if one can point to something and say it's typical. And of course there are variations between types of industries/jobs - e.g., labor/factory positions vs. office/professional positions.

I can't imagine many companies negotiating PTO - they are generally adminstered as company-wide plans applicable equally to all employees. The only thing I've ever negotiated when hiring someone is covering pre-planned PTO that a candidate had already scheduled - so I've sometimes offered a little extra time for the first year of employment.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:07 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbeginning125 View Post
How many weeks of PTO do employees in Raleigh area generally get?
It varies by company and by industry.

Quote:
Is it ok to negotiate vacation once a job has been offered?
I have negotiated a one-time week of vacation as part of a job offer, but never a recurring extra vacation time each year. This is usually based on years of service.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:13 AM

18 posts, read 38,125 times
I am in Accounting and my husband in IT.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:22 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
I am in Accounting and my husband in IT.
It really does vary by company AND by industry. I never heard of anyone negotiating PTO except for in a new hire/first year package. Not recurring.

I doubt a person's coworkers would feel good about someone who is at their same pay grade getting a week or two of extra PTO and being newer to the company than they are.

Salary is a different animal. Nobody has to know how much another person makes. People do tend to notice it when you take several long holiday trips per year, though.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:58 AM

195 posts, read 286,117 times
It is VERY common to negotiate PTO, especially when coming from a company where you already earned a number of weeks. And especially in IT. Many companies offer increasing PTO with your years with the company but this can totally be negotiated. PTO is part of your package and everything can be negotiated. Other IT negotiations include paid cell phone (if you're in admin), ability to work from home (Citrix access, VPN, etc.), new development machine or laptop, or even an office (if you're a programmer that requires silence although difficult to pull off).

Old 04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
You can negotiate anything, PTO is pretty easy to negotiate in companies, as long as you aren't asking for something crazy.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:46 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
I agree with others. Vacation time is not something that varies by geography (in the US). It varies by your industry and specific employer within that industry.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
Totally varies, not location specific. Negotiate it, but know it can change - my company merged with another, took away a week or more from everyone, and there was a mass exodus. We lost the best manager I've ever had because she had taken a cut in pay to negotiate more PTO, and then it was all taken from her.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:10 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,229,909 times
Im in legal. 4 weeks here upon hire. plus 3 floating days and 2 days of community service hours should you decide to use them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary