U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 12:59 PM

4 posts, read 5,924 times

Advertisements

So I'm thinking a day trip to the beach this weekend (motorcycle). I'm thinking something on the water, oysters, beer, music. Any suggestions? (Not Wilmington, don't want to get caught up in the azalea fest crowd)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 01:23 PM

171 posts, read 302,014 times
Morehead Cit/Beaufort/Atlantic Beach area is easy to get to and you'll find all you need there

Old 04-12-2013, 01:30 PM

2,569 posts, read 8,591,450 times
Topsail Island takes no longer to get to than Wrightsville and you'll spend a lot less time and money on parking.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:37 PM

4 posts, read 5,924 times
Actually I was thinking Atlantic Beach area. I'm familier with area but don't know of a specific bar/restaurant that fits the bill. Any suggestions?

Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 PM

51 posts, read 96,548 times
Default Reply

Sammy's on the waterfront in Morehead City is great and a cool atmosphere. Everything is fresh and locally caught. Was just written up in the latest Our State magazine. Afterwards, walk across the street to Jack's for cold beer and a great view.
If you decide to stay, The Atlantis Lodge in PKS is an almost 60 year old institution. The Seahawk is clean waterfront and reasonable. Have fun.

www.sammysseafoodhouse.com
site.jackswaterfrontbar.com
www.atlantislodge.com
www.seahawkinn-villas.com

Last edited by Sir Walter; 04-12-2013 at 02:13 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 02:17 PM

10,608 posts, read 21,206,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Walter View Post
Sammy's on the waterfront in Morehead City is great and a cool atmosphere. Everything is fresh and locally caught. Was just written up in the latest Our State magazine. Afterwards, walk across the street to Jack's for cold beer and a great view.
If you decide to stay, The Atlantis Lodge in PKS is an almost 60 year old institution. The Seahawk is clean waterfront and reasonable. Have fun.

Sammys Seafood House and Oyster Bar | Morehead City Restaurant
site.jackswaterfrontbar.com
Atlantis Lodge
Seahawk Inn & Villas. Atlantic Beach NC
Both the Seahawk and The Atlantis are VERY old and "show it". I love seeing them because I grew up going to Atlantic Beach and remember them from my childhood (never stayed there, but keep saying I will just because), but I think most people would want something a little more 'modern'. There is the Clam Digger a little farther down the island (used to be a Ramada Inn) that's a high-rise with oceanfront rooms and balconies. It is not "new" either, but more like a standard hotel while reasonably-priced.

I can't speak for Sammy's, but explore the Morehead City waterfront, which has lots of restaurants, and Frank and Clara's at Indian Beach (near the Clam Digger) is very nice, too, if they're open at this time of year. Head over to Swansboro which, like Beaufort, is an old "fishing village" with a neat (small) downtown. Ther are a couple of good restaurants there, too, though I can't recall the names.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:32 PM

51 posts, read 96,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Both the Seahawk and The Atlantis are VERY old and "show it". I love seeing them because I grew up going to Atlantic Beach and remember them from my childhood (never stayed there, but keep saying I will just because), but I think most people would want something a little more 'modern'. There is the Clam Digger a little farther down the island (used to be a Ramada Inn) that's a high-rise with oceanfront rooms and balconies. It is not "new" either, but more like a standard hotel while reasonably-priced.

I can't speak for Sammy's, but explore the Morehead City waterfront, which has lots of restaurants, and Frank and Clara's at Indian Beach (near the Clam Digger) is very nice, too, if they're open at this time of year. Head over to Swansboro which, like Beaufort, is an old "fishing village" with a neat (small) downtown. Ther are a couple of good restaurants there, too, though I can't recall the names.
We stayed at the Atlantis a total of 10 nights when our condo was being renovated after smoke damage last year. It is a nice place that is not run down whatsoever. Check out the reviews that it gets and all the loyal return business that it gets.It was the subject of a lengthy article in Our State last year as well. The Seahawk is showing age but I was trying to give him cost effective places. I too have been going to Bogue Banks since the late 1960's as my parents bought one of the first houses in PKS.

Last edited by Sir Walter; 04-12-2013 at 02:49 PM..

Old 04-12-2013, 03:18 PM

12,391 posts, read 14,092,889 times
I have friends that love the Atlantis, too. I've never been, but I wouldn't hesitate to book there if I was looking for a hotel. We usually get a house, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary