U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2013, 06:18 AM

12 posts, read 31,713 times

Advertisements

Can you give me feedback on Woods Charter school please? I know that the test scores are very high and that it is supposed to be a great school, but I need the low down please. How is the middle and high school? Is having such a small graduating class (only 48 kids) good or bad? What about the lack of extra curricular activities? Would you drive 15 miles each way to take your child to Woods Charter if you got in?

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 06:37 AM

12,371 posts, read 14,002,547 times
I think the small size is great for people who like small sizes . I don't have a child there, but I know several people who do have kids there, and we've done some summer camps there. Sometimes the kids at Woods are ready for a bigger environment by high school, but it is a good school. One of my friend's has a son who has moved on from Woods to NC School of Science and Math in Durham (which is the merit-based boarding school, if you're not familiar) so academically Woods prepared him well. I have other friends whose kids have stayed all the way through and others who left for regular public high school.

It was not really a big draw for me because we're in Chapel Hill and very satisfied with the schools' academic performance here. As an alternative to public schools Woods is still pretty schooly and structured, I think. We've done some alternative private schools early on for the greater flexibility and small size (have one child with anxiety) and Woods is more structured than the school we chose. I think Woods would be a great choice for someone who wants better academic performance than their home district can give them, and a smaller environment, while still a traditionally structured atmosphere.

Does that help?

Old 04-14-2013, 10:36 AM

1,942 posts, read 3,210,906 times
Extremely difficult to get in due to lottery competition, right? Probably especially at grades after K?

Old 04-14-2013, 10:41 AM

We got selected in the lottery and my child was offered a spot for the 5th grade for this fall...so that is why we are trying to decide if she will go there or not.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:35 PM

12,371 posts, read 14,002,547 times
Yes, K and 5th are the best times to get in. I think middle school for Woods starts at 5th so those beginning years are when people switch out of Woods to try something new. There might be a few openings at the beginning of high school too.

It is a very popular charter so there are lots and lots of applicants.

MominCary, are you very unhappy with your current school choices? Do you feel like your child would be much better off in a smaller environment? Socially, it could be difficult coming from Cary just because if your child wants to get together outside of school with another child who goes to Woods you could be looking at an even longer commute to a playdate. The folks I know who go there are mostly in Chatham Co (Pittsboro area), but some are as far west as Snow Camp and Eli Whitney (near Alamance Co). Those are the things I would weigh when considering it. I think it's a great school choice for some folks, but it didn't feel like the right fit for my kids and we're much closer than Cary. It takes me a little less than 20 min to drive there from my house in the middle of Chapel Hill.

Will they let your child try it out for a day? Have you taken a tour?

Old 04-15-2013, 04:13 AM

I am not unhappy with my current school at all...my daughter is very bright, straight A student, has lots of friends at school and in the neighborhood...It would be a good 20 min drive (15 miles) each way to take her there. We do have an orientation on the 30th of this month where she will get to go and meet all the other rising 5th graders, and I think we will decide from there what we will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary