Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2007, 05:04 PM

709 posts, read 928,100 times

Advertisements

Yep, for 60 days july and august and early september while we were in some of the hottest weather in years with little rain, homeowners were using 70 million gallons of water a day. Watering during the heat of the day when it was 100 degrees, watering lawns every day doing wasteful stupid things to try and keep the grass green. That is a total of 1.8 Billion gallons wasted.

That is a major reason we are in the situation we are in with falls lake. even with that big rain it rose only 1 foot!!! There are major water issues that the politicians are unable to address thru lack of knowledge, Time to stop the building until a more reliable source of water is found or developed. I have seen today in areas of raleigh where people are still watering lawns!!! People are pretty dumb!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 08:32 PM

120 posts, read 205,202 times
Default Temporarily suspend all outside watering until normal water levels are acheived?

This may mean no watering for atleast six months or a year?

I have been involved in several projects that involve gathering water table data for consecutive years on sites across the state. We are not in a '07 drought. We are in a ten year drought!

The surficial water table has been depleted for atleast 5 years that I can personally testify. In Apex alone, I saw the water table drop 15' and it never rebounded.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryingtofigureitout View Post
This may mean no watering for atleast six months or a year?

I have been involved in several projects that involve gathering water table data for consecutive years on sites across the state. We are not in a '07 drought. We are in a ten year drought!

The surficial water table has been depleted for atleast 5 years that I can personally testify. In Apex alone, I saw the water table drop 15' and it never rebounded.
But you have guys like realtors that think water is everyplace.

These guys have no idea what is happening.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-30-2007 at 01:40 AM.. Reason: uncalled for

Old 10-29-2007, 10:24 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,942,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Yep, for 60 days july and august and early september while we were in some of the hottest weather in years with little rain, homeowners were using 70 million gallons of water a day. Watering during the heat of the day when it was 100 degrees, watering lawns every day doing wasteful stupid things to try and keep the grass green. That is a total of 1.8 Billion gallons wasted.

That is a major reason we are in the situation we are in with falls lake. even with that big rain it rose only 1 foot!!! There are major water issues that the politicians are unable to address thru lack of knowledge, Time to stop the building until a more reliable source of water is found or developed. I have seen today in areas of raleigh where people are still watering lawns!!! People are pretty dumb!
So I take it that the outdoor usage accounts for 30 million/day out of 70 million total? 40%?

Old 10-30-2007, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
So I take it that the outdoor usage accounts for 30 million/day out of 70 million total? 40%?
It just might!! Heck I ran at 4am today and FOOLS are watering their lawns out here in southern wake county! I counted 9 homes with sprinklers going this morning! Not one lawn needs or should be watered today, we had 6+ inches of rain thru Saturday morning!!!!!! Stupid people!

Old 10-30-2007, 07:55 AM

282 posts, read 833,233 times
..and I assume, you picked up the phone and DID something about the fools, right?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:14 AM

842 posts, read 3,221,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post

The entire state is strapped for water. Should the entire state stop building? Pretty much the entire southeast US is strapped for water. Maybe the entire southeast should stop building? It seems to me like Raleigh is better positioned than many other parts of the state and country. Given the *huge* waste of water, Raleigh still has plenty of water (you're not eating off paper plates yet, right?). Raleigh doesn't even have mandatory year-round restrictions. So it seems to me that the water supply is perfectly adequate, and that all we need to do is reduce the waste (like implementing year-round watering restrictions like Cary, which is highly likely to happen anyway).

Also, I wouldn't exactly say that the 1.8 billion gallons were entirely wasted. Much of that water soaked into the ground and recharged the aquafers, which made the streams flow more consistently, which flowed right back into the rivers and reservoirs.
Same goes for water that splashes on roads and goes down sewer drains. That water doesn't just disappear. It goes to the water treatement plant, and then back into the river. When that occurs, the only thing really wasted is the labor that it took to turn the water potable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary