U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 PM

10 posts, read 18,246 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hello. Our son is accepted at Hunter Elementary(neighborhood busing available) as well CASA Montessori’s charter school. Wondering, if anyone can guide us which school will be more suitable for 5yr old Magnet or Charter. We live in Wakefield so Wakefield elementary is our base school. Magnet school will be close to 25miles where as Casa will be 8miles.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Thanks in advance for your input.[/SIZE]
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 02:18 PM

9,397 posts, read 14,248,003 times
Knowing absolutely nothing about any of those schools, I just want to say I cannot imagine commuting 25 miles 4 times per day to drop off and pick up your child at school, unless it was a VERY SPECIAL school that is meeting the needs of your child that cannot be met elsewhere. It doesn't sound like that is the case. So unless you are moving closer to the school anytime soon, I personally wouldn't even consider it.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:14 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,482,876 times
No contest! go with Casa. At the Magnet school he'll have no chance of being in school with kids from his own neighborhood. How will you manage playdates? Afterschool activities? That would be a huge pain.

I've heard nothing but good things about Casa.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:23 PM

8,269 posts, read 23,755,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
No contest! go with Casa. At the Magnet school he'll have no chance of being in school with kids from his own neighborhood. How will you manage playdates? Afterschool activities? That would be a huge pain.

I've heard nothing but good things about Casa.
Not necessarily true. Lots of times multiple kids from one neighborhood are accepted together as part of the busing patterns, but it really depends on whether or not other kids from your neighborhood applied. For example, almost all of the children on my street that got into magnets, all go to the same magnets. Same for the kids in the next neighborhood over. The way they have everything weighted with priority levels of high versus low performing nodes and alleviating school crowding ends up with multiple kids from certain sides of town. I would think there would be LESS chance of going to school with neighborhood kids at the charter since it's open to anyone in the whole state (our experience) than the magnet.
Most kids at magnets manage playdates just fine. My neighbor's kid goes to a magnet 20 miles away and she has friends over from school all the time. They meet plenty of other kids who live on the same side of town, plus elementary school kids don't have much in the way of after school activities anyway.
All that said, I know nothing specific about either school but have heard good things about both!
Good Luck with your decision!

Last edited by lamishra; 04-16-2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 10:28 PM

600 posts, read 1,147,962 times
I know nothing about Casa but my son goes to Hunter and we love it! It has been a really fantastic school for us. Cannot say enough good.

As far as play dates, we don't have any issues. Friday is an early release day and my son has a playdate scheduled with his good friend. My mom will pick them both up at the school and then his friend's mom will stop by and get him from our house on her way home from work.

That being said, we were recently looking at houses and I would not consider very deep into wake forest just because I didn't want my son to be on a bus so long. As it is, we're only 10 minutes away from his school and he doesn't get dropped off until about 4:30 which makes it hard to have time for homework, dinner, bath, and some fun, not impossible but definitely harder. I wish the school started and ended earlier in the day. I would not consider any house where we had to leave Hunter.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 AM

10 posts, read 18,246 times
Michgc – For magnet(25mile) elementary neighborhood buses is available. But you are absolutely correct, spending that much time even in school bus will affect his extra activities and I do NOT have plans to move near to school any time soon.

LibrarySue – I am hoping you know more about Casa. I may request you more info about this school.

Lamishra g – Thanks for your comments. I would love to send him Hunter which is magnet but I am turning down another charter school(East Wake) due to distance.

Shellsd – Thanks for information regarding Hunter. I will definitely keep in mind.

Thank you again all for your inputs/advice. Greatly appreciated.

More inputs about curriculum/teaching style between these two (Montessori Vs Magnet) will be appreciated.

Last edited by neelsan; 04-17-2013 at 07:46 AM..

Old 04-17-2013, 08:44 AM

167 posts, read 285,077 times
I would look in to the type of learning you want from your school. I know Montessori is a great way but very drifferent from the normal way of teaching Please take that and look in to what you want for your son. It is a life style

Old 04-18-2013, 12:39 PM

109 posts, read 185,450 times
My daughter goes to Hunter as well (this has been our first year) and I cannot say enough good things about it and the Magnet program. The elective choices keep her very excited and engaged and let her dabble in all kinds of interesting areas. This year she has taken piano, intro to ballet, gymnastics, pottery, jump rope, Holidays Around the World, creative writing, and several others. I cannot speak specifically to the program at Casa but I am fairly certain that it is a Spanish immersion program so it is kind of like comparing apples and oranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary