Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:44 PM

10 posts, read 26,578 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just relocated to the Creedmoor area in North Carolina and we are trying to get adjusted to the area. We are originally from Philly. I am getting out of the Navy in Nov and I really need a good hairdresser, Church, and somewhere better to shop than Food Lion, if anyone has any good info I will be ever grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 07:56 PM

120 posts, read 206,182 times
Default May I be the first to defend Food Lion!

They have their pros and cons like any other grocery chain.

We went to Lowes Food the other day and purchased the exact items we usually purchase from Food Lion. Typical vegetable cans cost $.20 more at Lowes. Lowes charges too much for sodas, frozen foods, etc.

Food Lion= At or below middle income families
Lowes Food= Upper middle to High income families
Harris Teeter= Very Expensive
Piggly Wiggly= Hanging around just for the heck of it
IGA= Very Affordable
Compare Foods= Kind of nasty

Old 10-29-2007, 09:21 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
I would never buy meat or produce from food lion.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:51 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Wow...Philly to Creedmoor. You must be having culture shock!

Take Creedmoor Road into North Raleigh and find all the grocery stores you can imagine!

Its a gorgeous ride this time of year, with the leaves changing colors!

Vicki

Old 09-11-2008, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 4,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellie212 View Post
My husband and I just relocated to the Creedmoor area in North Carolina and we are trying to get adjusted to the area. We are originally from Philly. I am getting out of the Navy in Nov and I really need a good hairdresser, Church, and somewhere better to shop than Food Lion, if anyone has any good info I will be ever grateful.
I'm retired army and we use the Commisary in Goldsboro sometimes, its OK but we like Walmart for grocery shopping, Creedmoor is a smaller town and may mot have as many convient shopping areas. Are you retiring?

Old 09-11-2008, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 4,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
The one I shop at in Clayton has been very good with the meat and veggie freshness.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:54 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellie212 View Post
Hello and welcome to civilian life! My husband and I recently became part of the civilian world ourselves (hubby was in the Navy for 9 years, stationed in Virginia Beach/Norfolk, VA). We are heading to NC soon ourselves, so I can't offer much to you in the way of grocery store suggestions (although I did recently figure out that Lowe's is a grocery store and not a home improvement store). I just wanted to say good luck with your move and transition.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:57 AM

528 posts, read 1,462,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
I think (in my experience) it depends on which Food Lion you're at. They were very clean when we lived & shopped there in Virginia Beach. Years ago they had a bad reputation for their meat (featured on 20/20 for their repulsive meat handling methods). My understanding is that they've really up'd their game when it comes to meat. Produce to me, is always dependent on the manager/location of the store.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:00 AM

55 posts, read 177,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell1 View Post
I'm retired army and we use the Commisary in Goldsboro sometimes, its OK but we like Walmart for grocery shopping, Creedmoor is a smaller town and may mot have as many convient shopping areas. Are you retiring?
Oh how I miss the Commisary!! I got spoiled.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:49 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes4birds View Post
I think (in my experience) it depends on which Food Lion you're at. They were very clean when we lived & shopped there in Virginia Beach. Years ago they had a bad reputation for their meat (featured on 20/20 for their repulsive meat handling methods). My understanding is that they've really up'd their game when it comes to meat. Produce to me, is always dependent on the manager/location of the store.
My daughter worked for them at that time. It was true. Meat managers were pressured not to mark meat down too soon and not to scrap it when it first began to spoil.

Food lion is no bargain any more and their produce prices are worse than Harris-Teeter. At least HT's produce is good quality and well presented.

Walmart is hit or miss. Some Super Wallys are OK, but some are plain awful. The one on New Hope Church Rd in Raleigh is so bad managers are quickly ground into the dirt and spit out.

The Wake Forest Super wally's pretty good but crowded.

Harris-Teeter does have good sales and great service, but some items are way too high.

Lowe's is iffy based on the store. no great bargains there.

Super Target has poor selection but decent prices and is clean.

Kroger is a total loss in my area of North Raleigh. Can't see a reason to shop there. Many prices higher than Harris-Teeter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary