Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2013, 07:03 AM

4,590 posts, read 6,422,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Charlotte real estate developer Crescent Communities expects to break ground in mid-June on another major apartment community in central Durham, a $25 million project called Crescent Main Street.
Crescent has been negotiating to buy a 4-acre lot owned by Durham businessman Terry Sanford Jr. bound by West Main Street, 15th Street and Rutherford Street, and it has selected Raleigh construction firm Clancy & Theys to build the four-story project, according to construction documents from the Carolinas AGC.
Durham?s Main Street getting $25M apartment project - Triangle Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,484 times
That's down past 9th st. end. Its West Durham not Central Durham but is close to Duke central campus. This will be just down from Erwin Sq., at Anderson and Main. Really close to the Hospital

Old 04-18-2013, 07:29 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
The amount of apartment construction we have taking place in the urban core is stunning. Recall that at the turn of the century there was West Village, the units on LaSalle St./Morreene Rd. by Duke, and in-neighborhood complexes in Trinity Park and the West End.

It took ten years to get Station Nine, Golden Belt, American Tobacco, Erwin Terrace, and the Lofts at Lakeview in place. Trinity Commons followed, opening last year.

Now we have, simultaneously under construction or breaking ground:
  • The complex named here
  • A sister complex to it just to the east by the new Harris Teeter
  • A few hundred new upscale units on LaSalle
  • A new infill complex at the Durham Freeway/Swift Ave interchange
  • West Village expansion of about 200 units
  • 300 upscale units at W. Chapel Hill St./Gregson -- earth movers are on site working
  • Complex at Willard/Jackson (crews from the site planners were out this morning surveying)

Add to this the proposal for 26 stories of apartments, plus other projects like Starwood's Aloft Hotel going in next to the East Deck at ATC by the ballpark, and it's an astounding amount of growth and change in the center of Durham. Even by my optimistic standards.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:15 PM

Yep, can you image how different center city Durham will be at the turn of the decade?

Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 PM

15 posts, read 27,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
The amount of apartment construction we have taking place in the urban core is stunning. Recall that at the turn of the century there was West Village, the units on LaSalle St./Morreene Rd. by Duke, and in-neighborhood complexes in Trinity Park and the West End.

It took ten years to get Station Nine, Golden Belt, American Tobacco, Erwin Terrace, and the Lofts at Lakeview in place. Trinity Commons followed, opening last year.

Now we have, simultaneously under construction or breaking ground:
  • The complex named here
  • A sister complex to it just to the east by the new Harris Teeter
  • A few hundred new upscale units on LaSalle
  • A new infill complex at the Durham Freeway/Swift Ave interchange
  • West Village expansion of about 200 units
  • 300 upscale units at W. Chapel Hill St./Gregson -- earth movers are on site working
  • Complex at Willard/Jackson (crews from the site planners were out this morning surveying)

Add to this the proposal for 26 stories of apartments, plus other projects like Starwood's Aloft Hotel going in next to the East Deck at ATC by the ballpark, and it's an astounding amount of growth and change in the center of Durham. Even by my optimistic standards.
BCR - I came here to look for apartment advice, but I have to admit, this post sent me on quite an internet exploration for the last 2-3 hours! I worked/interned for downtown Durham development companies off and on from 2002-2007, but had sort of given up following everything after the horribly-timed economic collapse - I thought it would set things back at least a decade. Fascinating stuff going on, thanks for the list.

Curious though, have you heard any updated about Scientific Property's proposed "Van Alen" development east of the DBAP? I can't find anything about it after 2009.

Lastly, I didn't see anything on this - Josh Parker is apparently giving the Chesterfield building project another go, with an option to purchase through June.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:56 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMNC View Post
BCR - I came here to look for apartment advice, but I have to admit, this post sent me on quite an internet exploration for the last 2-3 hours! I worked/interned for downtown Durham development companies off and on from 2002-2007, but had sort of given up following everything after the horribly-timed economic collapse - I thought it would set things back at least a decade. Fascinating stuff going on, thanks for the list.

Curious though, have you heard any updated about Scientific Property's proposed "Van Alen" development east of the DBAP? I can't find anything about it after 2009.

Lastly, I didn't see anything on this - Josh Parker is apparently giving the Chesterfield building project another go, with an option to purchase through June.
Van Alen has been very quiet from some time. Haven't talked to folks from Scientific in some time.

I can say that the 21c museum-hotel going into the SunTrust Bldg. (Hill Bldg.) downtown was originally proposed for the Van Alen site as part of their tower complex.

Yes, Josh is back under contract with Chesterfield. Josh is a good guy whom I've gotten to know pretty well over the years. He's been doing work with Wexford on their St. Louis project with WUSTL as well, and they're very interested in university-area urban research parks. Bill Kalkhof mentioned at the Trinity Park annual meeting this weekend that part of the parking plan may be to turn part of Chesterfield's interior into parking spaces in some way.

Good times for downtown!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:38 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,484 times
Is there still a hotel going in at the old Watts nursing school (I think thats what it was, most recently NC ear nose and throat hospital) on Main? I saw they put up some new screening. Its really a blight on that block....

Exciting stuff. When I moved here 20 years ago, I was amazed in how abandoned downtown was. You could shoot a cannon down Main St at 8pm on a Saturday....and nobody would be around to even hear it, let alone hit...lol

Drove through at 8 pm last Saturday. All kinds of people around. Great feel to Durham.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:25 PM

15 posts, read 27,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Van Alen has been very quiet from some time. Haven't talked to folks from Scientific in some time.

I can say that the 21c museum-hotel going into the SunTrust Bldg. (Hill Bldg.) downtown was originally proposed for the Van Alen site as part of their tower complex.

Yes, Josh is back under contract with Chesterfield. Josh is a good guy whom I've gotten to know pretty well over the years. He's been doing work with Wexford on their St. Louis project with WUSTL as well, and they're very interested in university-area urban research parks. Bill Kalkhof mentioned at the Trinity Park annual meeting this weekend that part of the parking plan may be to turn part of Chesterfield's interior into parking spaces in some way.

Good times for downtown!
That would be very interesting if possible. If I'm not mistaken, Parker's plan when he was bidding last fall was based on converting it to lab space, but turning that interior space into parking would be ideal in a lot of ways. He does seem like an interesting guy - hard to believe how young he is.

That said, I'll believe something's happening with that building when I see a construction crew!

Old 04-20-2013, 08:24 AM

I would like to see some renderings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary