Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:12 AM

51,580 posts, read 25,547,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
No HOA restrictions other than some old fogies who resent childhood laughter.
So it was not the safety issues, but rather the noise of your boys that bothered the neighbors. No need to describe it as "childhood laughter." I've heard little boys play.

But as there are no HOA rules prohibiting you from allowing your boys to scream and shout to their heart's content, it appears you are perfectly fine with telling your neighbors to shove it. No need to get along with the neighbors, you're moving anyway, right?

Looks like such a peaceful neighborhood. I can see where it would appeal to old fogies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 06:56 AM

9,764 posts, read 15,711,289 times
Heck, I'd be playing in the street, too with all of that shade!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:14 AM

3 posts, read 6,961 times
Here is my problem about kids playing in the streets of our neighborhood, they aren't just innocently playing basketball in the street and moving out of the way when cars approach. These kids drag a basketball goal out to the edge of their driveway and then use the entire road to play. When cars approach, they stand in the way and stare at you like "what are you going to do, make me move"? The parents are nowhere to be found. There are no fewer than 20 kids that hang out on the street in front of our house. Since they started doing this, we find trash tossed in our yards from their snack bags of chips and soda cans, apple cores and even had a banana peel thrown on our car. I come home from work to find their bicycles abandoned right in our driveway so I can't even pull in. We routinely hear their basketball hit our car and when we look out the door all we see are kids running away; I have one dent in my car so far from this.

One day we heard something hit our house and when we went out, the kids were running away and there was smashed egg on the front of our house. We have teenagers too, but they have never been allowed to play out in the street. We've always taken them to parks, or involved them in sports teams, etc. I wouldn't have an issue with the kids playing in the street IF they were supervised and NOT allowed to be destructive to their neighbors' property, but I find that most parents here DON'T supervise their kids and refuse to take responsibility for their actions.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:40 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,098,155 times
There's this house in Copperleaf where the owners have permanently erected a "Slow Kids" standee out by the end of their driveway.

I laugh every time I see it. What happened to parents minding their kids?

It sorta makes me wish I drove a V-8, just so I could rev my engine out by their driveway.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:00 AM

5,730 posts, read 17,545,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
It sorta makes me wish I drove a V-8, just so I could rev my engine out by their driveway.
You could still rev your motor. . . . although the sound of a Dust Buster wouldn't scare too many kids off

Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
You could still rev your motor. . . . although the sound of a Dust Buster wouldn't scare too many kids off
HA! Exactly.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:41 PM

51,580 posts, read 25,547,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
What happened to parents minding their kids?
Or parents teaching their kids to mind?

Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 PM

64 posts, read 142,270 times
Meh_whatever.....What point are you trying to make by reving your motor?.... There are A LOT of construction trucks going in and out of Copperleaf -trucks that aren't always thinking things like 'maybe a kid might run out and get a runaway ball in the street.' Kids are playing in their yards and driveways and riding bikes along the street and neighborhood trails. The sign you are referring to is a visual reminder to everyone to drive carefully (in case playing "spills over" into the street via bike riding to a friends house or to get a runaway ball). It's not a matter of letting kids play in the street unsupervised.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linnysol View Post
Meh_whatever.....What point are you trying to make by reving your motor?.... There are A LOT of construction trucks going in and out of Copperleaf -trucks that aren't always thinking things like 'maybe a kid might run out and get a runaway ball in the street.' Kids are playing in their yards and driveways and riding bikes along the street and neighborhood trails. The sign you are referring to is a visual reminder to everyone to drive carefully (in case playing "spills over" into the street via bike riding to a friends house or to get a runaway ball). It's not a matter of letting kids play in the street unsupervised.
Kids play in the street over there all the time. Unsupervised. One threw a rock at my car a couple of months ago. No kidding.

I was totally joking about the motor.

I see why they put that sign out. Their lot is in a lousy location.

Ummm. Unless that's your house? If so, let me clarify. I would not prefer to back up to a community pool. But, that's me.

I also didn't like that house. Odd layout. We looked at it while house shopping.

The sign was down today.

I had to go out there to check on someone, so I thought of that sign. It was gone!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:56 AM

64 posts, read 142,270 times
I was only commenting on the sign and its purpose...but thanks for adding your opinion on the house and lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary