Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 08:49 AM

35 posts, read 39,744 times

Advertisements

Hello,
Right now I'm in South Carolina and my friend is in DC. We haven't seen each other in a while so we decided to meet at the halfway point which happens to be Chapel Hill/Raleigh NC. We'll be here for the weekend of May 3rd. I've done a little research on some things to do but would like some input from people who live here.

More info...

We're women in our mid-20's.

We're laid back and prefer bars to clubs. Good drinks in a laid back atmosphere and with people around our age.

Restaurants Restaurants Restaurants! I have a few barbecue places in mind to go. Any other recommendations?

We would also like to explore campus a bit. Is there a central place on campus to walk around?

I heard to go down Franklin Street and explore. Are there any other streets/areas that are a go-to spot?

Lastly, are there any places that are a must go before leaving?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 08:58 AM

35 posts, read 39,744 times
Also, we're definitely open to suggestions in Cary and Durham. Not just Chapel Hill and Raleigh.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:34 PM

413 posts, read 1,254,959 times
If you meet for dinner and drinks at Spanky's you can get valet service free (just get the card stamped). Convenient way to arrange parking. It's on Franklin, and from there you can hit any number of places, plus wander down to McCorkle Place (edge of UNC Campus where it abuts Franklin...history there too!). Old Well is just at the other end, as Davie Poplar (the landmark of where to site the first state university) is in the middle. If Silent Sam shoots his gun, then we'll know...
If you don't want to eat at Spanky's (old Chapel Hill restaurant), you can go for Top of the Hill, which is a brewery-restaurant, but food is so-so. Another good place to eat is 411, which is named for its Franklin Street address. Crooks Corner is another famous restaurant (if you go by Southern Living magazine). There are so many good eateries in Chapel Hill and Durham, it's hard to pick! I'll let someone tried and true from the Tobacco Rd tell you about hot spots there.
Have fun!

Old 04-21-2013, 05:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
My favorite spot for a drink on Franklin Street is the Lantern Bar, at the back of the Lantern Restaurant. You can get to it through the restaurant, or enter in the back through the alley. If you're looking for a dive bar, try He's Not Here, famous for large blue Solo cups. For a comfortable spot to enjoy a glass of wine, check out the West End Wine Bar.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:37 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,328,304 times
There are so very many choices. I think I'd just aim for Franklin Street and walk around and see what looks good. West Franklin has a lot of really nice choices. East Franklin is pretty college-y these days, but since you're mid 20s that might suit you fine, too. There are several places on East Franklin that are good to grab a quick bite. You can just park there or on a deck on Rosemary St and walk Franklin St and campus both. I think Top of the Hill ($$) might be a good choice. You can sit out on the deck overlooking Franklin St and have a beer or try some of their new vodka distilled in house. I've never heard bad things about their food. I'm not a huge Spanky's ($$) fan, myself, but it's very popular with alums and the college crowd. Other restaurants to consider are Lantern as previously mentioned (James Beard award-winning chef) ($$$), Elaine's ($$$), Vimala's Curryblossom Cafe in the Courtyard on West Franklin (Indian, pay what you can $$), Carolina Brewery ($$), Mellow Mushroom ($$), Acme on Main St in Carrboro ($$$), Crooks Corner ($$$, you can get BBQ here, too), Mama Dip's (southern/soul food also has BBQ $$), and way more than I could possibly mention here or that you could get to in one weekend. Have fun!!

Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,251 times
If you decide to come to Raleigh at all, you guys would probably like Glenwood South and downtown Raleigh.

Glenwood South has is where the 20's crowd hangs out - there are lots of bars and a few clubs. The dining choices are not as varied or as good as downtown but is a fun little strip to hang out after dinner. There are a couple of cute bars that seem laid-back called Cornerstone Tavern and Brooklyn Heights Bar that are next to each other on Glenwood Ave in renovated homes. A few blocks down are nightclubs like Noir and Solas (3 different levels including restaurant and dance club). There is a speakeasy type of place called C. Grace on Glenwood South as well.

Nice dining options in Glenwood South are Tasca Brava (Spanish cuisine, a little pricey but small, intimate and personal - the chef is very involved with your meal), 518 West (Italian), 42nd St. Oyster Bar (seafood) as well as some more casual options. Zely & Ritz is a local farm to table type of place.

Downtown Raleigh has some great restaurants too - almost too many to mention. Clyde Cooper's is downtown for great BBQ (note: hole in the wall type decor and they close at 6 but great BBQ!). The Pit is more upscale BBQ and has quite a few fans (I'm not one - I'm a Cooper's gal or else Allen & Sons in Chapel Hill/Pittsboro). The Pit is in the depot area, which has Jibarra (upscale modern Mexican), an Italian place, Tasty Beverage (craft beer store with a bar in the back).

You might also like the Chuck's (burgers)/Beasley's (chicken)/Fox Liquor Bar (speakeasy style lounge/bar -note, this and C. Grace have a "membership fee" of like $1 to get in) complex over by Moore Square. There is also a good and new Laotian place called Bida Manda in the same area. Buku and Capital City 16 are also some fun place to eat downtown. Lots out there to explore. Durham also has many many terrific restaurants if you guys have the time or stomach space....I'm not as up on the nightlife around there though.

Raleigh also has a free bus, the R-Line, that makes stops throughout downtown Raleigh and Glenwood South.
Get Around :: R-LINE Stop Locations :: Downtown Raleigh

Old 04-22-2013, 12:25 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,152,532 times
If you feel like some coffee, or wine, or both! check out Caffe Driade: Caffe Driade
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary