Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:29 AM

22 posts, read 36,460 times

Advertisements

There's a garden tour on Mother's Day weekend in Wake Forest. There are several great home veggie & herb gardens on the tour, one with goats and chickens. They are still open to accepting new garden hosts for 2013. If you garden in Wake Forest and want to share your garden, check out www.sywfg.org. Also - master gardeners are at the Wake Forest farmers market on the weekends to answer your questions and provide guidance on growing in our zone 7b.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 02:07 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
Another easy way to supply the calcium is to just push a calcium pill into the ground next to each tomato plant. Thanks for the reminder.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Busted butt yesterday afternoon to get some peppers, squash, and snapdragons planted before the rain started. Good thing too since it looks like they're get a nice long soak today!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:32 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Busted butt yesterday afternoon to get some peppers, squash, and snapdragons planted before the rain started. Good thing too since it looks like they're get a nice long soak today!
Yeah I also popped in a couple more transplants before the rain. The things I started form seeds are really small because I don't have any grow lights so I bought a few tomato and pepper plants to get some earlier veggies. Next year I am buying a fluorescent light and rigging up something in the garage to get the seedlings going early. I have heard you can use an electric blanket instead of a heat mat to regulate temperature. Those heat mats are SO expensive for a little tiny one.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:22 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,774 times
I did it the bargain basement way. Bought one of those four-tier greenhouses from Lowe's for about forty bucks, made some reflectors out of mylar insulation, stuck them over some fluorescent lights and hung 'em beneath the racks. I put a seeded tray of Jiffy peat pellets under each one and turn on the lights. So far it's worked like a charm, without any heat mats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary