Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 11:19 AM

725 posts, read 1,500,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Not trying to deter your enthusiasm for NC...I mean everyone has their own personal tastes. I consider myself to be a hip and happening 30something...and I just dont think Raleigh would cut it your you, based on your criteria. My friend who moved from Raleigh to Denver thinks Denver is the best thing since sliced bread...I kid you not....I mean she raves madly about it...She tells me she's never moving back east.
When the area runs out of water there might not be any other options. Denver's accelerating popularity has not helped the situation.
//www.city-data.com/forum/color...out-water.html

OP, I am curious if this water is discussed in social situations in CO or is it mainly people on internet forums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 11:25 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I have to echo this. I have friends who live in my neighborhood. They really seem to miss Denver, but because of their financial situation they can't move back.

You will be coming to a small town compared to Denver. It will be a shock. You say you don't like cold weather, but do you go skiing? Here in Raleigh you'll be 2 hours from the beach, 2 hours from skiing, possibly 3 hours with traffic. It's relatively flat here and not bike friendly.

Before everyone jumps on me, yes, there are a lot of nice things here. You can have a very nice life, exploring the small towns around the area, checking out a few wineries, going to Asheville, etc. But it's not anything like Denver.
Not bike friendly? Anyone mind letting all the cyclists on the Raleigh greenways, the American Tobacco Trail in Durham, and around Chapel Hill know that so that runners have more room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Right, like don't we have more PhD's per capita than anywhere else in the country? Or some statistic like that? I know the number is pretty high (even if it's not the highest in the country) with all the universities. So it can't be ALL thugs and rednecks.
Indeed. I wonder if there are ulterior motives at play. For that matter, where do I fall on her thug/redneck split?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:29 PM

6,824 posts, read 9,059,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Not bike friendly? Anyone mind letting all the cyclists on the Raleigh greenways, the American Tobacco Trail in Durham, and around Chapel Hill know that so that runners have more room?
When is the last time you tried riding your bike on a road here with cars and trucks, while following all regulations. Was it a good experience? Not everyone has access to the greenway or Tobacco trail. Can you use those to get to the supermarket without riding on roads with cars and trucks?

Old 04-26-2013, 01:37 PM

59 posts, read 95,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmember10000 View Post
When the area runs out of water there might not be any other options. Denver's accelerating popularity has not helped the situation.
//www.city-data.com/forum/color...out-water.html

OP, I am curious if this water is discussed in social situations in CO or is it mainly people on internet forums?
Regarding water, we have water restrictions every year. Every summer the news warns us about the drought. We have bad fire situations that get worse every year. Despite 74 crazy inches of snow THIS APRIL we will still be in a drought. I wonder if this is what your talking about?

People talk about it, but most aren't overly concerned. I find that most people can't see past next week. My husband and I are old souls though, so I feel like we are a bit more aware.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:18 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Hate to break it to you. But Raleigh have nothing like Belmar. Not even remotely close. They have outlet shopping that is driving distance from Raleigh.... but if you are looking for specfically something like Belmar...Its not here. Regarding class of people. you have your rednecks, baggypants-wearing thugs, the stepford wives, and some educated fools.
Have you ever said anything nice about North Carolina on C-D? Seriously, I really want to know.

Old 04-26-2013, 02:38 PM

725 posts, read 1,500,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
When is the last time you tried riding your bike on a road here with cars and trucks, while following all regulations. Was it a good experience? Not everyone has access to the greenway or Tobacco trail. Can you use those to get to the supermarket without riding on roads with cars and trucks?
Yep!

Edited to add - where could you live in the U.S and get anywhere by bike without riding on roads with cars? I'm in Holly Springs and can ride anywhere in town on my bike without issues - the market, Womble, to the greenways. The bypass is about the only thing I would avoid but my friend crosses it by bike daily.

Last edited by boardmember10000; 04-26-2013 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: additions

Old 04-26-2013, 03:37 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Have you ever said anything nice about North Carolina on C-D? Seriously, I really want to know.
Going through her history...nope!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:10 PM

90 posts, read 118,986 times
Durham would probably remind you more of a small Denver. Raleigh would be more akin to Colorado Springs in that it seems very suburban. Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Hillsborough would in aggregate be similar to a Boulder.

Denver and the Triangle are very different. Denver has more of the western, relaxed vibe, whereas Raleigh has the more suburban, IT professional vibe. I've enjoyed both, but for different reasons.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:16 PM

90 posts, read 118,986 times
Salaries and housing costs are both slightly higher in Denver. Housing costs in the Triangle aren't as low as many would lead you to believe.

One huge surprise was that my water bill in Orange County was 3x my water bill in CO.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If she has, I've never read it.

We're all a bunch of culture-free rubes, apparently.

I'll be returning both my degrees, selling my home, and buying a pig tomorrow.

Yee-haw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary