Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 04:28 PM

445 posts, read 1,983,952 times

Advertisements

I currently live in NJ and we are looking to move somewhere cheaper. One of the places is north Carolina. Can anyone tell me about the orthodox jewish community in this area of nc. Are there any kosher places to eat in the area? how about day schools? Hows the job market? Which zip codes/areas should i be looking for houses in that would be walking distance to a synagogue? any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 05:34 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,145,316 times
I researched similar questions a while ago for some Jewish relatives considering moving to the area. Beth Meyer Synagogue has a great FAQ here: Beth Meyer Synagogue, Raleigh, NC - FAQ (broken link)

I believe the only Orthodox Synagogue is Sha'arei Israel / Lubavitch in North Raleigh. The zip code is 27615, but that is a large zip code so you'd need to use Mapquest to find truly walkable homes.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:34 PM

460 posts, read 2,421,504 times
This is what I found. Synagogues in the Triangle Religion on Citysearch (http://triangle.citysearch.com/yellowpages/directory/The_Triangle_Raleigh_Durham_Area_NC/210/394/page1.html - broken link)

Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
I researched similar questions a while ago for some Jewish relatives considering moving to the area. Beth Meyer Synagogue has a great FAQ here: Beth Meyer Synagogue, Raleigh, NC - FAQ (broken link)

I believe the only Orthodox Synagogue is Sha'arei Israel / Lubavitch in North Raleigh. The zip code is 27615, but that is a large zip code so you'd need to use Mapquest to find truly walkable homes.
Very accurate information. You are right. You can also try the Raleigh-Cary Jewish Federation. Raleigh-Cary Jewish Federation - Home. There isn't anything Kosher in Raleigh. The closest will be Sabra Kosher and Israeli Store in Durham. Sabra Kosher Durham NC Israeli Food Store and Market (http://www.sabrakosher.com - broken link). The supermarkets in the area do have small Kosher sections but it is very limited.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:43 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
North Ridge Subdivision off of Falls of Neuse Rd. has many Orthodox Jewish households because of its proximity to Sha'arei Israel / Lubavitch. This is particularly true for the North half of the subdivision because it's closer. This part of North Ridge has many homes that vary from more modest mid $200,000's (early 1970's homes) upward to millions $$ depending on their adjacency to the golf course and age. Many older homes on large lots are being torn down and replaced with more luxurious homes.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:46 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,571,881 times
Default Another consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
Very accurate information. You are right. You can also try the Raleigh-Cary Jewish Federation. Raleigh-Cary Jewish Federation - Home. There isn't anything Kosher in Raleigh. The closest will be Sabra Kosher and Israeli Store in Durham. Sabra Kosher Durham NC Israeli Food Store and Market (http://www.sabrakosher.com - broken link). The supermarkets in the area do have small Kosher sections but it is very limited.
My wife insists that the Kroegers nearest Sha'arei Israel (intersection of Strickland and Falls of Neuse Road) has ample offerings of kosher food stuff. She believes it's consistent with some of the places she shopped back on Long Island.

There's also a rumor that a true kosher deli is opening somewhere in North Raleigh in the near future.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:06 AM

445 posts, read 1,983,952 times
Its nice to have a kosher place to eat at if you dont feel like cooking dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary