Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:57 PM

59 posts, read 95,568 times

Advertisements

We have been deciding if we would like Durham or Raleigh. I am thinking Durham. The plan is for me (paralegal) to stay here in Denver for the first part of the summer while husband goes and rents a cheap place in Durham and looks for work nearby. He can do almost anything, I would have to search for a paralegal job.

Question is- anyone know of any jobs (besides Craigslist?) Husband has experience as a general manager of a restaurant, lots of customer service, tire technician jobs, telephone, etc. Problem is...an old criminal record haunting him. And too many speeding tickets for a good driving job.

He's the hardest worker I know and a great person, just wondering if anyone knows any places who are forgiving in that sense or any random jobs you know about so I can submit his resume. Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 09:00 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Good luck. Seriously. The job market is tight here. Criminal record and motor vehicle violations are going to hinder his search.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:03 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Just an aside (because I actually like Durham, but have no real interest in moving there):

You posted asking if the area was classy or trashy and you chose what is typically the least desirable city/town (for its size) in the Triangle area. I say this not out of dislike for Durham. I think it gets a bad rap.

It's just interesting.

You should visit the area before making such a major decision.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:32 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Just an aside (because I actually like Durham, but have no real interest in moving there):

You posted asking if the area was classy or trashy and you chose what is typically the least desirable city/town (for its size) in the Triangle area. I say this not out of dislike for Durham. I think it gets a bad rap.

It's just interesting.

You should visit the area before making such a major decision.
i agree. my recommendation would also be that you find your job before you settle in, especially since it's possible your may be the more "stable" of the two jobs & you may find that a commute to downtown raleigh or elsewhere for your job may be less desireable over time. this area is very spread out & some people don't realize until they come visit.

bottomline - unless there is a stable job already bringing you here, it would be my recommendation that you both come out here to see the area, find jobs, then move. that's a pretty big move to make without some stability, especially to an area that you don't know.

Old 04-27-2013, 02:44 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,891 times
Decided in Durham, I thought you haven't even been to the Triangle yet?

It all depends on the severity of the past charges, if they are bad enough to give him issues in Denver, he will have issues here as well.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:26 PM

We are both looking for jobs. We will visit before we actually move. However, it is hard to get an employer to be interested when you are thousands of miles away. We would likely visit when we can both line up job interviews.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Then how can you say where you'll live? What if he finds employment in Zebulon? It makes no sense to limit yourself to a certain geographical area when you're already behing the 8 ball.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:38 PM

Husband has a job here. We are looking for work in Raleigh and Durham for our change.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:51 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
Understand that he has a job THERE, but how do you know you want to live in Durham IF you do not know what city you'll be working in? It can be quite the drive from Durham to Raleigh, or other places where you/he might get work.

Old 04-28-2013, 05:58 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,988 times
This is one option. I know a couple guys that got permanent employment from the company they were sent out to. I used to drop guys from a '1/2 way house'. The pay isnt great, but they do pay!
Labor Finders Of North Carolina - Home

Check to see if the Durham County Criminal Resource Center can help your husband. Dont know if you have to be 'in the system' here in NC or what....
Durham County : Criminal Justice Resource Center

Alot of times its the TYPE of charge that will hold you back, not just that you have a charge.
Used to send guys from 1/2 way house to McDonalds for a job. They would lie on their application about criminal background. They would get hired and fired in 3 weeks. It was a drug charge or stealing charge that would get them fired. But they would have 3 weeks pay in their pocket. I would tell them to keep looking everyday while they were working. MOST times they would find better employment before McD's caught up and fired them. Nothing like stinking like McD's a few days in a row to motivate someone to find a better job! lol That was 10 years ago, so that may not work anymore! LOL

Good luck....and dont listen to all the negative Nellies. I think if your husband came ahead of you to set up house, he would have alot of opportunity's that he wont get trying from afar.

I moved here (Durham) with no job. Had a job in one day
I moved to Macon Ga, had a job in 2 days
I moved to New Orleans, had a job in one day
I moved to Nashville, had a job in a week.(dead winter)
I moved to Albuquerque, NM and had a job in 2 days

Course, I am in the construction field. Alot of jobs available usually. I took whatever I could get. I show up on time. I dont drink or drug and have a DL? thats pretty much the golden ticket to a construction job.... lol

Last edited by ncmickey; 04-28-2013 at 06:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary