Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 11:51 AM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ohzrd View Post
I never had deep dish pizza in my life until I went there or Lou Malnati's.
Just the mention of Lou's warms my heart. Damn fine pie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 01:53 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times
Hands down, it's Randy's. I've not eaten at the one on MLK in Durham (got takeout once, which was good, but takeout is not the same...), but if it's actually slices that you want, then go to Randy's on Miami Blvd in RTP between 1130 and 130 on a weekday, brave the crowds and get (what IMO) is the best slice I've found so far.

I know this is blasphamy, but I liked it almost as much as John's on Bleeker, and a little better than DiFarro in Brooklyn (although Old-Man DiFarro gets extra credit for his hands of steel, thereby causing me to want to go back...)

Old 04-28-2013, 03:05 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
Good pizza if they used less cheese. I had one from there and there was too much cheese for a thin crust pizza.
Yep...they do go a little heavy on the cheese. I even thought of asking "light on the cheese" Maybe that would get it just right.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:55 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
My favorite New York style pizza is at Gino's (formerly Schiano's) in Raleigh. It's off of Glenwood in the shopping center with Bed Bath and Beyond. We moved to Garner last summer but still go there once a month (as opposed to once a week... probably a good thing we moved ). Price is great, too. We get the daily special of 2 slices and a drink each for a total of $10.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:48 PM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I wonder why folks don't jump up for Bella Mia in the Weston shopping center since they use a coal-fired oven. That's got to be as close as you're going to get.

I know it's said the water in NY makes the dough different, which I'm sure is true....

I think that a lot of the great pizza joints use Blodgetts. This fancy oven stuff is just more yuppie silliness.

A real good pizza maker in Rochester told me that there was a guy in Florida who has Rochester water shipped down to him for his shop.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:02 PM

71 posts, read 180,560 times
Im a NC native-so take it as you like, but eat slices at least once a week. More often that not you will find me at Cozzolinos in Cary. Great group of guys there and I enjoy the pizza-price is great too. If I cant get to Cozzos, then I will hit up Randy's, Dominics, or Brooklyn Boys.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:38 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Okay, we just came from Rosati's in Morrisville. Rosati's is very big in Arizona, which is where we lived until June, 2012, so we are familiar with the brand.

It was good. Not great, but good. Had double sausage, onion and mushroom. The onion tasted like Vidalia onions and the mushrooms were fresh, not canned. That was the very good part. The sausage was just okay, as was the crust. The service, however, was friendly and excellent. Nice little reasonably priced wine list, too.

We are still looking for that perfect thin crust pizza with REAL italian sausage, preferably in lumps and chunks, not bits and pieces. We live in Brier Creek. Prefer to eat at the restaurant, even at the bar. Tried Brix, Randy's and a few other places - but we're still looking. . .

Old 04-28-2013, 08:13 PM

294 posts, read 829,049 times
The pizza in NC is fine. Think of it as an adventure to find pizza that fits your needs.

My adventure has made me rave about places like Cozzolinos, NY Pizza, and Camos Brothers which I think are all equal to the stuff I used to get in American's original pizza capital of Boston (NY just copied the Bean like with most things).....:-)

Good luck!

Old 04-29-2013, 05:57 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Hands down, it's Randy's. I've not eaten at the one on MLK in Durham (got takeout once, which was good, but takeout is not the same...), but if it's actually slices that you want, then go to Randy's on Miami Blvd in RTP between 1130 and 130 on a weekday, brave the crowds and get (what IMO) is the best slice I've found so far.

I know this is blasphamy, but I liked it almost as much as John's on Bleeker, and a little better than DiFarro in Brooklyn (although Old-Man DiFarro gets extra credit for his hands of steel, thereby causing me to want to go back...)
Please tell me your either kidding or purposely being a Triangle fan boy.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:54 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Dominic's by Triangle Town Center - owner from Brooklyn
NY Pizza on Falls next to Chick-Fil-A - Great Sicilian
Sergio's in Wake Forest

I lived in Manhattan in the 70's and 80's.

I think that rather than dozens of pizza threads here, we need one thread with ratings by users so we can start to get an informed opinion of where the better places are.

For example, I give Dominic's a solid 6 on a scale of 1 to 10. Not the best I've had, about average overall.

The best NY style for me would actually be a Brooklyn style with a well-cooked crust (more crispy).

Last edited by Sayantsi; 04-29-2013 at 08:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary