Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 07:57 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times

Advertisements

I lived in Apex for 2.5 years when I first moved to the area - it is a nice suburban town. I wound up moving to Cary though because I wanted more trees, parks, greenways, etc. Since the construction is a lot newer in Apex, it's hard to find a development that wasn't clear cut (at least in my price range). For me, that was the biggest downside to Apex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 09:35 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
what do you mean clear cut? you mean subdivisions that still had trees? a lot of subdivisions in Apex along HW 55 (Walden Creek, Haddon Hall) and all along Olive Chapel Hill Road have lots of trees in the subdivisions. Probably because these subdivisions are about 10+ years old now and the trees have grown.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:48 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniegal View Post
We are relocating this summer to this area from the Northeast and visited the week before last. We drove through Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, spending time in the downtown and residential areas. Nothing felt quite "right" until we drove into Apex. We immediately felt relieved and excited to see a community that seems to have everything we are looking for. The downtown area is sweet, there is lots of green space, a nice mix of new development and well kept older neighborhoods and best of all, we met a lovely realtor who was willing to give us the grand tour and explanation of how the town operates. I thought I was going to meet with a realtor who frequents this forum, as he lead to to believe he would do so, but when it came down to it he completely blew me off. Thankfully, not all real estate agents do business in this way! We are quite excited now about our transition from the Northeast and look forward to becoming part of the Apex community.
I'm not sure who the agent is, but I thought I would chime in about this. Currently most agents in the area are being bombarded by out of town customers thinking of relocating to the area. Most are only considering the area, and it's not a definite thing. This means they are expecting agents to be tour guides of the areas and drive them around showing different cities, neighborhoods, and homes.

If that person does not buy, we could be potentially wasting 1-3 full days of time. I wont give tours of the area, but I will put together a tour for the out of town clients. I will do the phone interview and determine their current situation. I will get their price range, where they will be working, and their interests. I put together a list of neighborhoods, points of interests, and other things that allow them to see the entire area. When they get into town I meet with them for about 1-2 hours for a buyers consultation, and send them off to explore. It's been working very well so far, and it helps people experience what Raleigh has to offer. If they decide Raleigh is not for them, I only spend a few hours rather than days, and the client is still happy.

However it's no excuse for an agent to blow you off. That could have been handled better for sure.

Last edited by Bpobill; 05-03-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 10:54 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpobill View Post
I'm not sure who the agent is, but I thought I would chime in about this. Currently most agents in the area are being bombarded by out of town customers thinking of relocating to the area. Most of these people are only considering the area, and it's not a definite thing. This means they are expecting agents to be tour guides of the areas and drive them around showing different cities, neighborhoods, and homes.

If that person does not buy, we could be potentially wasting 1-3 full days of time. I wont give tours of the area, but I will put together a tour for the out of town clients. I will do the phone interview and determine their current situation. I will get their price range, where they will be working, and their interests. I put together a list of neighborhoods, points of interests, and other things that allow them to see the entire area. When they get into town I meet with them for about 1-2 hours for a buyers consultation, and send them off to explore. It's been working very well so far, and it helps people experience what Raleigh has to offer. If they decide Raleigh is not for them, I only spend a few hours rather than days, and the client is still happy.

However it's no excuse for an agent to blow you off. That could have been handled better for sure.
Didn't you just move here from Michigan? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Old 05-03-2013, 11:48 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
what do you mean clear cut? you mean subdivisions that still had trees? a lot of subdivisions in Apex along HW 55 (Walden Creek, Haddon Hall) and all along Olive Chapel Hill Road have lots of trees in the subdivisions. Probably because these subdivisions are about 10+ years old now and the trees have grown.
Yeah, in another 15-20 years those trees will be more my size. :-)

I lived in Hollands Crossing. I don't know how many trees were there before the land was cleared, but it was way too barren for my tastes. It's not just an Apex issue, of course, as pretty much all newer construction involves clear cutting. My current house was built in 1987 and has HUGE trees all around it.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:15 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Maybe he is a SECRET Agent?!!

Ok...Here it is...MY OPINION...Wake Forest and Apex are very similar in many ways!

Just the way they FEEL, including the small town feel you get from each. They both do lots of Fourth of July parades, quaint downtown, etc.

Prices are similar, too.

Vicki

Old 05-03-2013, 02:35 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,339,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Ok...Here it is...MY OPINION...Wake Forest and Apex are very similar in many ways!
I would agree except that I feel WF is a bit further out from everything like RTP, Durham, Chapel Hill, Downtown Raleigh than Apex is. But maybe I'm biased.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:01 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
That's me.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:07 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I would agree except that I feel WF is a bit further out from everything like RTP, Durham, Chapel Hill, Downtown Raleigh than Apex is. But maybe I'm biased.
I was referring to the town, itself, moreso than the distance to other areas.

However, From Main St. Wake Forest to Downtown Raleigh isn't more than 15 to 20 minutes, going straight down Capital Blvd.

Wake Forest to Durham...straight down Hwy. 98/Durham Hwy. 20 to 30 minutes.

I think it would depend which side of Apex you are on, as well as which side of Wake Forest you are on.

Vicki

Old 05-05-2013, 09:22 AM

30 posts, read 46,840 times
Bpobill:
I can certainly understand why a RE agent would not want to spend much time with someone who us considering a move to the area. However, in our case it is not a potential move, it is a job transfer for my husband and will definitely be happening this summer. The agent who blew us off knew our situation and originally seemed willing to help us out. He even sent his MLS link for us to peruse; very helpful for seeing if a property is active, pending, etc. We made the trip specifically to determine which town in the area appealed to us the most. I tried to contact him via email several times, as we were supposed to meet with him and he didn't respond back to us! We are very grateful that a certain agent at Salem Street Realty took the time to respond to our housing needs, give us a tour and even show us a few homes in our price range, even those they will be long gone by our summer move. It feels good to know that someone is looking out for us and will immediately contact us when a property that fits our needs becomes available. Moving to a new area is stressful on its own. Having this person helping us out reduces at least some if that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary