Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2013, 12:43 PM

14 posts, read 22,257 times

Advertisements

I've been reading the triangle city-data forum for a year now, as part of the process to prepare for my move from NYC back to NC. We have settled on Durham (we were already very familiar with the area), chosen an urban, walkable neighborhood, and visited a local school for our elementary-aged child. We are now READY to make the is move, and had hopes of doing so around summer time (best transition time for school). I am a social worker... I began sending applications for jobs that were posted in mid-march and have been applying since then. I would say that so far I have applied to 8-10 positions at Duke, Durham and Orange County Social Services and UNC Healthcare. My concern is that thus far I have not received one call back for an interview. I have a good 10 years of social work experience in NYC, mostly working with children and families. I didn't assume that I'd get offered a position right away, but some of these positions seem right up my alley and I am surprised that I have not yet gotten an interview

I have seen posts on this board regarding the possibility that HR sometimes doesn't want to bother with out of state applicants. My brother lives in Durham. I am wondering if it may be advisable to begin using his address?? If not, do any of you wise folks have advice for me. I'm not wanting to open my search to the Raleigh area, simply because part of our motivation to move is to make our lives simpler than they are the present time... I am focusing on Durham and Orange counties in order to have a short commute time.

Thanks for any guidance you may have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:51 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
I'm sure your out of state address is affecting your job search. You can't possibly be the only qualified candidate applying at those (I'm sure very popular) places. So if there are 5 great resumes and one has to come from NYC (which means waiting for the prospect to relocate) and the others have to come from 15 minutes away, who is going to get interviewed?

I am not going to tell you not to use your brother's address. Others might; if you do be prepared for things that might happen if you lived locally (can you come in tomorrow? can you come in tomorrow and then next week? Can you start next Tuesday?) and how you will handle it. Technically this could be considered a lie on your resume. You'd also need a local phone number.

My sister applied for teaching jobs for a year before she moved; within 3 weeks of moving here she had a job. No doubt the lack physical address here affected her job search.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:08 PM

This is what I suspected. I am ready and willing to fly down for interviews, and I am assuming that I would be able to tell an employer that I can start approx. 1 month from being offered the position (social workers typically are required to provide one months notice when resigning, so I would assume most SW employers wouldn't look down on that). I would plan to come down on weekends to secure the apartment, and have done TONS of research in that regard.

I'm really not comfortable using my brother's address... how would I explain that I'm still working in NY...

It's tough - can't move without a job but being out of state is proving to be a big barrier here!

Old 04-29-2013, 01:21 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
I can't speak to public sector jobs, but most private employers will assume that THEY will have to pay the cost of flying you in for an interview. So, in addition to what Twingles stated, factor that in to your lack of response as well. If there are local candidates that can be seen for free, why pay to interview someone from out of state? You might trying volunteering that you will be in the area between dates X and Y, and offer to meet with them during that time.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:39 PM

843 posts, read 2,100,638 times
I know someone who was laid off. First job she applied for was at Durham County Social Service. She got the job....5 months later. Slow HR dept!? She applied for alot of jobs in that 5 months.. ended up being that first application....

I'd say use a brothers address. But what about the new york phone #? You could say you are living between the two places until you find a job.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:11 PM

40 posts, read 64,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I can't speak to public sector jobs, but most private employers will assume that THEY will have to pay the cost of flying you in for an interview. So, in addition to what Twingles stated, factor that in to your lack of response as well. If there are local candidates that can be seen for free, why pay to interview someone from out of state? You might trying volunteering that you will be in the area between dates X and Y, and offer to meet with them during that time.
Agree. One of my colleagues had success arranging interviews by picking a random week to visit and then letting companies he'd applied to know that he was going to be in town during X week and that he would love the opportunity to meet with him if possible. He was able to arrange 2 or 3 interviews with companies that he hadn't heard from since he'd submitted a cover letter and application months before.

When newly applying, you could mention in your cover letter that you're going to be in town during X week or that you are willing to travel at your own expense for interviews. I also would mention your family ties to the area. Whether it is true or not, employers often see ties to the area as an indication that a particular candidate will stay in the area (and with the company) longer than someone with no ties.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:00 PM

Thanks for your replies! I suppose I'll emphasize my willingness to cover all travel expenses, and I'll consider providing some dates that I'll be in town.

I'm also hoping that I will in fact hear from some of the employers... as ncmickey mentioned, I'm hoping the slow, bureaucratic process is partly why I may not have had a response in some cases??

Thanks again!

Old 11-17-2013, 07:03 PM

132 posts, read 191,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I'm sure your out of state address is affecting your job search. ...

...this could be considered a lie on your resume. You'd also need a local phone number.
I have been trying the long-distance job search as well. It really bites when you finally get a call only because the caller didn't realize where your phone area code placed you... and then you get the apology because they really wanted somebody to be in for an interview in two days time and "thanks anyway" comes out before you can explain your plan to relocate as soon as you get an offer!

I never put my address on my resume' anyway. Just name, phone, and email at the top. Thing is, if they are actually paying attention, my current job listing should give it away anyway...

I got a TN phone number just so I could job search while living in NY and the first ap I put in got a phone call within just four days! Of course, I could not make the interview in two days because I'm working on a project in Albany this week... So, I'm just saving my pennies to be able to go down there as unemployed!!! That is a big leap and frankly sucks, but nothing else really works unless your company can transfer you. If anybody else knows a better way, please let us know quickly. I've almost got the house sold, but that would not hold me back anyway... wifey can close that up if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary