Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 12:48 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times

Advertisements

I have a Kitchen Aid electric glass top range. This is it exactly: KitchenAid KERA807PBL 30" Freestanding Electric Range with 4 Radiant Elements & True Convection Oven: Black that was put in our house by the builder about 7 years ago.

We have decided to change to a dual fuel gas/electric range. Also, there is a pretty common issue with these vintage Kitchen Aid ranges where the membrane switch board fails and the off button does not work. To turn it off, we set the timer for the stop time in one minute and it turns itself off. I actually replaced the control board once when it died 3 years ago, but it died again ( this is the exact part Whirlpool 9756595BL - SWTCH-MEMB - Black | PartSelect ) There is some minor paint wear at the front edge of the cooktop frame, but it's not that noticeable and you could replace that part and it would look pretty much brand new Whirlpool 4453840BL - PANL-CNTRL | PartSelect

I would rather not throw this thing in a landfill, but Habitat ReStore, even though they say they take items and "improve" them on their website will not take it. TROSA will not take it, Goodwill will not take it. They all want times they can dust off and sell right away and I understand that. Any used appliance place could probably fix this thing up and sell it and make a decent profit. Problem is I can't find anyone that even does this any more. I imagine the type of guy I need to find does not have a huge web presence.

Anyone know of a place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 02:51 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Maybe the Durham Appliance Thrift store? Home

Alternately the recycling center at the landfill on Eubanks Rd in Chapel Hill has a "salvage shed" where you can leave useable items (not clothes, I think). There are ALWAYS people waiting there to pounce on things that get dropped off. I don't know if Durham or Wake has one of those or not, but might be worth looking into. I have also gotten rid of things that don't work quite right, but aren't really broken on Freecycle.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:21 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,407,080 times
We just completed a kitchen remodel and donated our used but good condition fridge/freezer, range, dishwasher and microwave to Head Start. They picked the items up at our home, and they will be put to good use. Easy peasy...

http://headstartnc.org/

Old 04-30-2013, 06:37 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,766 times
If you do not care if it is rehabbed or scrapped and want it picked up for you, I got rid of appliances that weren't working by posting on Craigslist. I was bombarded with emails. Our old house had a washing machine in the basement when we moved in because they redid the wood door trim and it no longer fit out of the doorway-a guy spent 2 hours disassembling it to get it out-I'm assuming for scrap, but hey, we didnt have to deal with it. We gave away a refrigerator on CL too.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:45 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,764,276 times
FYI, the place I ended up buying the new Range from THE APPLIANCE CENTER of Durham, Chapel Hill and Raleigh has a guy that actually does what I am talking about and he comes by once a week or so and picks up old appliances and rehabs and sells what he can.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:55 PM

2,618 posts, read 3,148,515 times
Durham has a couple other places too, I can't think of the names. 1 store used to be out East Club Blvd and moved close to I85. I have seen a place across from Northgate and a place somewhere around Alston Ave or Angier Ave.

Call Triangle Trader on WPTF, Sundays 12-3. 860-9783. Announce it as a free pickup and someone will be calling.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:44 AM

2,618 posts, read 3,148,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Durham has a couple other places too, I can't think of the names. 1 store used to be out East Club Blvd and moved close to I85. I have seen a place across from Northgate and a place somewhere around Alston Ave or Angier Ave.

Call Triangle Trader on WPTF, Sundays 12-3. 860-9783. Announce it as a free pickup and someone will be calling.
The East Club store is now at either Redwood & Geer or Red Mill & Geer. I can't recall. I've taken lots of things there over the years. He will take anything but dishwashers, last I know. Fixes what he can, strips parts, etc. and takes what is left to the scrapyard. Also sells stuff really cheap. Best way I know to reuse stuff.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:53 PM

164 posts, read 143,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I would rather not throw this thing in a landfill, but Habitat ReStore, even though they say they take items and "improve" them on their website will not take it. TROSA will not take it, Goodwill will not take it. They all want times they can dust off and sell right away and I understand that. Any used appliance place could probably fix this thing up and sell it and make a decent profit. Problem is I can't find anyone that even does this any more. I imagine the type of guy I need to find does not have a huge web presence.
Anyone know of a place?
Were any of the places you tried located on southbound Capitol Blvd, north of downtown Raleigh? I can't remember who it was, but I took an old CRT TV there and I think that they would take whatever you could bring to them.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:08 AM

520 posts, read 1,016,547 times
You might want to try listing it on FreeCycle.
https://groups.freecycle.org/group/F...amNC/posts/all

Another option might be to mention it on NextDoor or Craigs List to see if someone will take it off your hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary