Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Are you seriously comparing the actions and ramifications of this guy to someone who killed someone, even accidentally? LOL. Talk about lack of common sense!

Involuntary manslaughter comes to mind as a fitting charge.
The argument you gave didn't say anything about outcome, just about intent, and "knowingly or not".

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
He didn't knowingly do it

The two are very different in intent
I know you are not suggesting that it's the same, and neither am I. I guess I'm just pointing out how it's not just one side that likes to make blanket statements, one-size fits all solutions, and gross generalizations.

But no, I am not seriously saying they are the same. Just making the point that the Johnson County kid, while a good kid, made a very serious mistake, that could have turned out a lot worse, and he and his family ought to be thankful that common sense did in fact prevail. Them whining about "he didn't get to walk with his friends" seems kinda trivial. He committed a felony, and (rightfully) got out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 08:29 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
The argument you gave didn't say anything about outcome, just about intent, and "knowingly or not".
It's pretty clear from past precedence the school board considers intent in this situation. The arugment was the school boards, not mine.

All this does is reinforce to kids that asking for forgiveness is easier than asking for permission, which is probably a great life lesson. You would think there would be some form of self disclosure procedure in place for things like this. Hopefully there will be in the future.

We have that in my industry, unless you are negligent you are given a sort of immunity to violations, as long as you self disclose.

Last edited by wheelsup; 05-03-2013 at 08:40 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 AM

379 posts, read 959,294 times
When my son was in 7th grade @ East Cary MS, he was suspended for 3 days for, get this:
Creating a "weapon" (their term NOT the school's Resource Officer's term) from a pink eraser, in which he unfurled a large paper clip, slipped it through the middle & bent each side down to create arms, then drew eyes, nose & mouth.

The school RO was actually shaking his head, & on his own took a photo of this, so called 'Weapon", to have in case ANY question came up.

I get ZERO-TOLERENCE, however this was, IMO just ridiculous!

Old 05-03-2013, 09:55 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
He seems like the perfect poster boy to make the dummies in charge reevaluate this zero-tolerance nonsense. Give more power back to the Principal, or at least the superintendent. Let them decide what punishment should fit the crime.

Old 05-03-2013, 10:28 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,445,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
It didn't prevent those two from bringing one to school, but millions of others did not bring a gun to school. no rule or policy prevents all instances of anything fro occurring. Are you suggesting having no laws or policies?
Laws don't prevent 'bad people' from doing anything, they keep honest people honest.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:21 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,362 times
Well the unthinking robots in the Johnston County school system won:

Suspension upheld for Princeton teen who brought guns to school :: WRAL.com

If the administration doesn't have critical thinking skills do you think they help the students develop any?

Old 05-14-2013, 03:31 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times
“Although we may not agree with the North Carolina school laws regarding this situation and the corresponding policies of the Johnston County School system, after careful review, we do believe they have been followed in this case,” the attorney said in the statement.

In the statement, the attorney said Withrow and his family harbor no bad feelings toward the school system and ask their supporters to feel the same.

“Cole is a Christian and an Eagle Scout and does not endorse or support any of the negative comments and requests that it please end now,” the attorney said.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscomac View Post
“Although we may not agree with the North Carolina school laws regarding this situation and the corresponding policies of the Johnston County School system, after careful review, we do believe they have been followed in this case,” the attorney said in the statement.

In the statement, the attorney said Withrow and his family harbor no bad feelings toward the school system and ask their supporters to feel the same.

“Cole is a Christian and an Eagle Scout and does not endorse or support any of the negative comments and requests that it please end now,” the attorney said.
He's clearly a better person than so many of the people defending him without knowing the particulars of this court decision.

I'm sure he'll go on to do just fine.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:48 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,165,745 times
He's gotten scholarship offers, from his honest mistake.

Good for him. And next time, maybe he'll keep his mistakes to himself!

Old 05-16-2013, 02:06 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,245 times
"I was not truthful...I did in fact know that the two shotguns were in my truck on school property. I did not mean to hurt anyone by my actions," he said in the statement.

http://www.wral.com/teen-who-brough-...ilty/12453823/

The school officials have a few apologies due...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary