Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 AM

24 posts, read 37,270 times

Advertisements

I witnessed an argument between 2 friends and was wondering what the real answer was. Was 540 always planned as a toll road, for the part running through west Wake County? Like before they even started initial construction, this was always the plan? Or did DOT run out of money mid-way through the project and then toll use was decided on. I'm tried to search for documents or news stories dating back several years to when construction began.

People down here still love to talk about 540 and tolls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
It was not planned as a toll road.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Nor did they "run out of money" mid-way through the project. Tolling was adopted as a means of accelerating funding.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:27 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
I think funding was pushed back from when they originally believed funding of the next phases would come though. I could be completely wrong.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:59 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
CHTransplant and T|K are correct.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
T|K and CHTransplant are right on. I-540 (which was also going to be renumbered I-640 once the loop was completely finished) was not planned from the jump as a toll road in Western Wake. Tolling was implemented to accelerate funding as those areas grew and demand increased for the highway. Without the tolls the Western Wake segment would not have been finished until 2022 and I believe Southern Wake wouldn't have been done until 2030. The mayors of communities in the area begged for something to be done to step up the timeline and thus - tolls.

Turnpike Authority To Study Tolls On I-540 :: WRAL.com

Future Rides on Toll Roads

Quote:
"This toll-road option was not our first choice here," U.S. Rep. David Price of Chapel Hill told about 150 people at Wednesday's ceremony.
Local leaders concluded, Price said, that "we're not going to wait another 15 years to build this road -- that this is our best option, and we need to make it work."

Old 05-01-2013, 10:10 AM

4,262 posts, read 4,714,230 times
I agree with what has been posted above. And as part of the plan to accelerate construction of western 540, your General Assembly adopted legislation that specifically made the already-built portion of 540 between 54 and 55 subject to tolls.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:45 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Take a look at "Five on Your Side" on the WRAL site.

The no-goods at the Turnpike Authority are terribly mistreating customers who protest unjust bills.

These bums give less service than given to people protesting parking violations.

Give small minded idiots a bit of power and they become Napoleons.

If folks boycott toll roads, this lunacy may end.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:33 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

The no-goods at the Turnpike Authority are terribly mistreating customers who protest unjust bills.

These bums give less service than given to people protesting parking violations.

Boycott to your little heart's content. I, for one, am going to take the toll road whenever it makes sense to do so. I'll take it over sitting in traffic any day of the week! I also have no sympathy for anybody who claims they got on "by mistake." Would they like that orange "TOLL" warning to scream at them as well?

Oh hey - it's a sign saying a toll road begins in half a mile! And there's an exit right before it begins!

I mean seriously. What more do they want? It should also be noted that the idiots complaining about being slapped with excess charges could avoid this completely if they had gotten a Quickpass. Even before I ever took the TriEx I got one out of an abundance of caution in case I ever needed to take it! Common sense isn't so common, I guess.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

So are you going to pay for that road that exists? It's not just going to suddenly become free, nor are projects that are backlogged going to get built any sooner. If you want roads now, tolling is a necessary evil unfortunately.

Also that "Five on Your Side" article has some humorous quotes in it like this gem:
Quote:
A wrong veer, and you're on it. Delay paying the bill when it arrives in the mail, and you're in for major late fees.
It's not that hard to avoid the road, as there are signs everywhere. Also pay your bill on time and for the right amount and you won't get processing fees. People like to point blame for their own misfortune.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary