Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 06:19 AM

22,617 posts, read 36,535,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
How does she have an IEP is she is homeschooled? I thought IEPs are only for kids in public education (this from a special ed teacher/mom of special child)
I was curious about that too but felt dumb asking. Maybe she HAD one? Doesn't it have to be renewed annually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 06:32 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,200,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I was curious about that too but felt dumb asking. Maybe she HAD one? Doesn't it have to be renewed annually?
Yes, they have to be re-done annually. For a child with only ADD, there is no guarantee of an IEP either, unless it can be proven that the disability adversely impacts the child's learning.
I serve kids w/ ADHD that also have a learning disability and one that the parents really wanted their son in special ed-and at my school the laws seem lax in admitting kids to the program, so this kid gets pulled from class into a group of kids who are MUCH lower academically than him and working at a slower pace. That is NOT going to help him stay focused or improve his grades.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:11 AM

273 posts, read 908,984 times
Perhaps this will help.

An IEP is managed by the Individuals with Disabilities Educational Ac and is a federal document not a state document which governs the implementation of academic and other services to ensure the federal standards for a Free *Public* education are implemented by Public Schools for a child. Each state does their own evaluation so one document is not transportable throughout the US.

There are multiple milestones such as eligibility, student academic and psycho-educational assessment, implementation of remediations or accommodations, evaluation of the remediations or accommodations, and reviews that must occur annually and again every three years.

After the child ages out of the federal IEP process and procedures, the American's with Disabilities Act standards can apply for the college and employment years.

Home-schooled and Private school students are eligible for selected services paid for by the public school district in which they live. Families can register and petition the local base school for the initial evaluation and annual and triennial reviews and receive services such as physical and speech therapy and more depending on the severity of the gap. Not all private schools are obligated to implement mandated remediations or accommodations but those that accept federal funds are mandated (which is why the public schools have a mandate). But parents can obtain services regardless of where the children are enrolled. Of course it's more complicated than this quick note but everyone should know that services are available.

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:11 PM

22,617 posts, read 36,535,927 times
Thank you for this info. I think the question that GBS and I have is what sort of an IEP does a homeschooled kid with ADHD have? Highly doubtful they are getting services with just that diagnosis. Maybe there is more we just weren't told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4alark View Post
Perhaps this will help.

An IEP is managed by the Individuals with Disabilities Educational Ac and is a federal document not a state document which governs the implementation of academic and other services to ensure the federal standards for a Free *Public* education are implemented by Public Schools for a child. Each state does their own evaluation so one document is not transportable throughout the US.

There are multiple milestones such as eligibility, student academic and psycho-educational assessment, implementation of remediations or accommodations, evaluation of the remediations or accommodations, and reviews that must occur annually and again every three years.

After the child ages out of the federal IEP process and procedures, the American's with Disabilities Act standards can apply for the college and employment years.

Home-schooled and Private school students are eligible for selected services paid for by the public school district in which they live. Families can register and petition the local base school for the initial evaluation and annual and triennial reviews and receive services such as physical and speech therapy and more depending on the severity of the gap. Not all private schools are obligated to implement mandated remediations or accommodations but those that accept federal funds are mandated (which is why the public schools have a mandate). But parents can obtain services regardless of where the children are enrolled. Of course it's more complicated than this quick note but everyone should know that services are available.

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:34 PM

12,798 posts, read 16,219,449 times
She may have just been homeschooled for the past year. That's not uncommon with kids who have IEPs, especially if their needs aren't getting met in their current school system. The parents pull them out and homeschool them for a time. She may have been in public school in Florida with an IEP, they weren't satisfied with the schools, pulled her out and homeschooled, and are now moving and want to try high school in a new location.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:37 PM

273 posts, read 908,984 times
I see. It's possible that some students with ADHD (in the absence of other identified learning challenges) have extended time for homework, classwork and/or tests; preferential seating (near teacher or away from doors or windows); testing alone or small groups to limit distractions; shortened assignments and/or longer breaks; acceptance of 'out of seat' events; teacher write in agenda; agenda verification and signature by teacher; encouragement; frequent and faster praise; behavior or sticker reward charts; etc.

It's likely that as parent you are already doing these accommodations and remediations. It's important to note what you are doing so that if the child ever transitions to a public or private setting, the adjustments can be documented and added to an IEP.

It is possible for a student to have a diagnosis made by a medical professional team of just ADHD, but more often than not, the diagnosis is accompanied by other learning or behavioral diagnoses and those challenges. For example a student with ADHD and learning challenges in reading or math (by hurrying through the material) may have calculator access or write in book as other adjustments. One with social or behavioral challenges might have buddy system, quiet time out or limit overstimulation or monitored transition times.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,200,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4alark View Post
I see. It's possible that some students with ADHD (in the absence of other identified learning challenges) have extended time for homework, classwork and/or tests; preferential seating (near teacher or away from doors or windows); testing alone or small groups to limit distractions; shortened assignments and/or longer breaks; acceptance of 'out of seat' events; teacher write in agenda; agenda verification and signature by teacher; encouragement; frequent and faster praise; behavior or sticker reward charts; etc.

It's likely that as parent you are already doing these accommodations and remediations. It's important to note what you are doing so that if the child ever transitions to a public or private setting, the adjustments can be documented and added to an IEP.

It is possible for a student to have a diagnosis made by a medical professional team of just ADHD, but more often than not, the diagnosis is accompanied by other learning or behavioral diagnoses and those challenges. For example a student with ADHD and learning challenges in reading or math (by hurrying through the material) may have calculator access or write in book as other adjustments. One with social or behavioral challenges might have buddy system, quiet time out or limit overstimulation or monitored transition times.
Oh if only you knew! Only a medical professional can diagnose ADHD, BUT, I have MANY students w/ ADHD diagnosis who are getting services and sit in the resource room for hours (missing grade-level academics while I work with kids with serious learning challenges.) Parents push for "special ed", schools write an IEP, and EVERY kid I serve with an IEP for ADHD gets pulled from the class-even if they do not qualify academically. VERY different from the way it worked where I taught before. Yes, I have some with a SLD AND ADHD, but many have no Learning disability.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,800,527 times
My .02-
Green Hope and Panther Creek are both high schools where I would not want to be a "slightly socially awkward" kid. Feel free to interpret that any way you wish.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,075,122 times
MY step child has an IEP and is at Panther Creek and I think they have done an amazing job of working her schedule to suit her perfectly. She has been really successful these two years there and the principal and staff seem to genuinely care about her academic and social success. She's had some tough life events and the school, while far from perfect, is going to help her get where she needs to be. There does seem to be a fair amount of fighting (she talks of race war more than gang stuff) but I have no reports about it other than the stories she tells! She is in a class of many hundreds; i graduated with 39 other kids. So all high schools overwhelm.

There is some economic stratification at GHHS and though we are looking to downsize for many reasons (lower house payment, more money for college/trips/LIFE adventures), I worry about doing so in the GHHS district in case my kids were looked down upon even though we could "afford" much more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary