Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 09:58 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,087 times

Advertisements

Here are some pics
Decking Help Needed - Aggregate or Salt Finish? - Pools & Spas Forum - GardenWeb

Also this site has alot of pics of concrete in the pools forum where this link is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 10:15 AM

27 posts, read 196,081 times
Okay, thanks ducter. Appreciate the help.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:04 PM

7 posts, read 19,654 times
Just some FYI. Usually when the minimum order for concrete is a cubic meter/yard, therfore your cost is most likely based on this. In other words your cost/sq foot goes down as you approach this minimum. You can probably pour as much as you want for the same cost.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:56 AM

27 posts, read 196,081 times
Gocubs85 - thanks for the info. I'm not real sure exactly what that means, but then I don't know how much I'd need for about 300 sf.

Old 11-25-2009, 07:09 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to resurface an existing driveway with some cracks but no buckling yet, but the driveway is otherwise in good shape. I was also told by two contractors that this is is NOT the way to go.

So as ugly as it is they recommended grinding out the cracks, filling back with concrete and scoring the rest of the pad every 10 feet to prevent future cracks. Said short of ripping it all out that is the best we could do.

I know there are epoxy finishes for concrete but that is more for garage floors and porches and stuff.........and the outside concrete is a rougher finish than that. Not rough like swept but not smooth like in the garage.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:51 AM

346 posts, read 613,142 times
I'm just catching this thread today......My suggestion is that any new areas to be poured concrete...allow the ground to settle and be well packed...lots of times ground broken for concrete pours is not given sufficient time to allow it to settle thus once the concrete is poured the subsequent ground settling will create big issues...cracks, and even sinking or un-leveling in the concrete. Case in point ,a few yrs back we had an inground pool put in...2 weeks later the coping had been poured (concrete) no one told us to allow the ground to settle for 1 year before pouring concrete...consequently the entire coping and earth underneath it continued to settle ruining the even nature of the coping...It all slanted down and away from the pool and wasn't level to walk on...HTH

Old 11-25-2009, 11:12 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
As noted above two keys to good concrete -
1.) A firm base because concrete is strong in compression but relatively weak in tensile strength.
2.) Adequately spaced control joints because concrete gains strength by hydrating and when all that water has left the slab it will shrink and crack. Control joints act to "encourage " the concrete to crack along the bottom of the joint where you won't see it.

How old is the existing driveway?

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary