Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 04:36 AM

27 posts, read 196,251 times

Advertisements

I live around the SE Raleigh area and I have a 12x16 patio (late 70's). I'd like to refurbish and slightly enlarge to an oval 16x20 or so. It has some surface spalling due to repeated cleaning and pressure washer use and is showing the aggregate in some places, but it's not loose and in pretty good shape. I've been reading about the ability to save these older slabs and even add on to them, as well as resurfacing with stamped patterns and overly systems.

I've been looking at pics of different types of concrete work on the web and have been forming some ideas. I'm not really in a hurry about this and want to get a good job with the right people. Should I get a local concrete guy who has experience is this type work or a "decorative" concrete contractor (which sounds a whole lot more expensive). Do you know of a few quality concrete contractors in the area who are good, reasonable and have been doing this work for 3+ years with references?

Also, what would a patio my size (approx 320 ft2) cost to pour some additional around the existing patio and do the overlay...ballpark figure? I don't know what the costs in the Raleigh area are compared to other sections of the country, ie, $6.50/sqft, $10/sqft?? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 04:52 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,677,545 times
see these two threads
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...d-stamped.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...atio-cost.html

Old 11-01-2007, 04:58 AM

Thanks Sunny...I'll do that.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:02 AM

Also, are there any good concrete patio guys in the Garner area? It's not a big thing but just curious. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:09 PM

2,188 posts, read 8,035,468 times
You will be told that extending an exhisting patio and doing an overlay is the wrong way to go. I am in agreement with that. Most likely you will have to pour and entire new pation and in the end you will be wise to do it and happier. When we did our landscaping we were advised to go that direction and we took the advice. All good. On the other hand we have had some issues with the original sidewalk our builder poured and they keep trying to overlay to match the stamp and we have to call them back out about every fourth month as it doesn't last. save yourself the hassle and do it correctly from the get go.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:49 PM

4,004 posts, read 10,869,883 times
new concrete over existing concrete....doesnt work well at all. I agree 100% with CAKD

Old 11-01-2007, 09:33 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,672,717 times
How about Daich Coatings - RollerRock

Old 11-02-2007, 04:31 AM

Okay, y'all are probably right. But I'm wondering why all the promotion and hype about overlays if it doesn't work and it's not cheaper than a complete tear-out job? I thought that was the reason for overlays.

Old 11-02-2007, 05:35 AM

Also, how about costs? I was told it's a significant difference in overlay to tear-out in this area. Is htis true? Thanks.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:05 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,473,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtnc View Post
Okay, y'all are probably right. But I'm wondering why all the promotion and hype about overlays if it doesn't work and it's not cheaper than a complete tear-out job? I thought that was the reason for overlays.
An overlay works great if the concrete you're overlaying is structurally sound and relatively new. The problems occur when the substrate is in bad shape.

In your case, the other issue you'll run into will be the transition from the existing slab to the new. There will always be a joint there, and you've got two choices- show the joint (which may look pretty crappy since you're talking about turning a rectangular pad into an oval, and the joint will look odd), or try and hide the joint (which will lead to cracking eventually as the two slabs move relative to one another, and will look worse than the first option).

IMO, the best way to do this would be to tear out the old patio and start fresh. You'll likely find a demo cost of around $2/SF, and a cost for the new concrete and stamping/patterning/coloring of anywhere from $8-12/SF depending on the pattern/color you choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary