Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

Refuse any home where the seller has liens other than a mortgage attached.

Learned that one the hard way.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:31 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

That makes good sense, particularly if the seller is under water, but may be a little broad.

Smart repair guys may slap a lien on their work to make sure they get paid at closing.
Recording can get hung up on a $300 HVAC repair, until the seller signs off to have payment made from proceeds. I had that happen. $250. .1% of the sale price. Seller was at work and inaccessible, so we closed the next business day after scheduled.
PSNC once had a $1500 lien on a home for installation of a gas pack. We got it signed off and closed on time.

But, bigger stuff happens, for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,936,310 times
When I relocated here in the latter part of the 1990s (on a corporate relo), we had one weekend to find a home. We bought a house that was under construction. With our offer accepted by the builder, I stayed in Raleigh an extra couple of days (while the wife flew back home) to meet with the builder and make final selections on things that had not yet been set (e.g., carpet, appliances and light fixtures). We closed and moved in a little over a month later.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 AM

342 posts, read 751,835 times
Research, plan, read, do all you can prior to going out. Know your needs, line up properties to view. We gave our realtor a list and he put a plan together, and we went house to house. We did all this from NJ, then came down looked at about 12 homes, and made a decision, offer.

Did all we could remotely, toured homes April 2,3, signed a contract on April 4th, closed on April 27th, moved 80% of our stuff (including my wife) down May 7th (2 years yesterday I went back to NJ, and got a job offer, gave 2 weeks notice, grabbed the rest of our stuff and left May 19th. Started my job May 23rd. Whew! It all paid off.

Also pre-approval helped us too, even though our own bank Wells Fargo put us through the grinder, even though we have excellent credit. Incompetence, that's all I'll say.

Good luck! You can do it!

Old 05-08-2013, 07:34 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,466 times
Lots of great advice here. Rep points to Mike J.

If you have not done so already, get your financial affairs in order and go as for as possible towards having a mortgage commitment in place. A "prequalification letter" is worth no more than the paper it is printed on.

With inventory the way it is right now you need to be able to pounce without hesitation. Eliminate any obstacles to that before you look at anything. A casual looker will get shut out in this market or end up with the wrong property.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:25 AM

15 posts, read 48,181 times
Quote:

Do you mean other liens like a home equity loan or line of credit?

Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechLabRat View Post
Do you mean other liens like a home equity loan or line of credit?
No. Like a federal AND a state tax lien well into the six figures. That's what you hafta watch for.

If they have equity and a little mechanics lien or HOA lien, no biggie.

Should've clarified. It was late.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
That makes good sense, particularly if the seller is under water, but may be a little broad.

Smart repair guys may slap a lien on their work to make sure they get paid at closing.
Recording can get hung up on a $300 HVAC repair, until the seller signs off to have payment made from proceeds. I had that happen. $250. .1% of the sale price. Seller was at work and inaccessible, so we closed the next business day after scheduled.
PSNC once had a $1500 lien on a home for installation of a gas pack. We got it signed off and closed on time.

But, bigger stuff happens, for sure.
Like a couple of tax liens that were more than the 350k in equity the sellers had, for example.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:58 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Like a couple of tax liens that were more than the 350k in equity the sellers had, for example.

Ouch. Ooch. Ouch.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Ouch. Ooch. Ouch.
We went under contract before Thanksgiving and didn't close until the end of February. Our bank was ready before Christmas, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary