Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 15,787 times

Advertisements

Hi -

I am planning a move to Raleigh in the next few months and looking in the Brier Creek area. I have done multiple searches on the area and I've noticed that the Carrington and The Providence at Brier Creek are the two that look like would best suit my needs. I am only looking to spend $700-$850 (at most) for monthly rent.

I've read mulitple reviews on www.apartmentratings.com and they all seem to be mixed reviews. Furthermore, you don't know whether or not to trust the reviews as it could be someone from the management department giving it 5 stars. I will be in town next Thursday and am already in the process of making appointments to look at a few of these complex's when I am there.

If anyone has any information regarding these two complex's good or bad, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
We lived at Carrington last year for 9 months.

Pro's:
Big apartments
New kitchen appliances and lighting fixtures
GREAT location
Quiet
Reasonably priced
Allow pets
Washer/Dryer in unit
Some units are getting new flooring
Short term leases available

Con's:
The $150/month for utilities is an inaccurate estimate - everyone pays closer to 20% more than they quote
Management and maitenance has been terrible in the past, constant turnover. It started getting better just before we moved in January, 2013, and I suspect that trend will continue.
Residents don't clean up their dog poop
Pool and exercise rooms are old and often not working (but again, I would expect this to be improving with the new manager)
No recycling. Worse, you have to take all your garbage to one single onsite dumpster, which means (for most people) loading it into the trunk of your car and driving it over.

We've heard very positive things about The Preserves in B.C..

Do a search on this forum, and you'll get information about both places.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 AM

6 posts, read 15,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We lived at Carrington last year for 9 months.

Pro's:
Big apartments
New kitchen appliances and lighting fixtures
GREAT location
Quiet
Reasonably priced
Allow pets
Washer/Dryer in unit
Some units are getting new flooring
Short term leases available

Con's:
The $150/month for utilities is an inaccurate estimate - everyone pays closer to 20% more than they quote
Management and maitenance has been terrible in the past, constant turnover. It started getting better just before we moved in January, 2013, and I suspect that trend will continue.
Residents don't clean up their dog poop
Pool and exercise rooms are old and often not working (but again, I would expect this to be improving with the new manager)
No recycling. Worse, you have to take all your garbage to one single onsite dumpster, which means (for most people) loading it into the trunk of your car and driving it over.

We've heard very positive things about The Preserves in B.C..

Do a search on this forum, and you'll get information about both places.
Thank you for your reply! Do you live in a 1BR at the Carrington and would you renew your lease once it is up? It seems that the most recent reviews on apartmentratings.com were negative in the past, but now in 2013 are all positive, which could be due to the new management? I am not sure.

Aside from the rent price, how much extra do you pay all together per month when it is all said and done? I spoke with Lindsay Smith (leasing consultant) there and am going to try to get in next Thursday to take a look at a few 1BR models.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath unit on the ground floor. It was VERY large. If you can deal with the stairs, I would suggest going up to the highest floor you can get. The balcony's are nicer and more functional than the bottom level patios.

We rented this apartment for nine months, just until our new home was built. We never intended to live in it longer than that. Personally, IF I were going to live in an apartment for years, I probably would be looking at a nicer complex, but that would also be a more expensive rental. But as a home owner, and an older retired adult, I'm spoiled. If I were in my twenties, Carrington might have seemed ritzy to me.

We paid about $180/month for our utilities billed through the landlord (their estimate was $150). Electric was about $40/month. We paid extra to TWC, ONLY because we insisted on having HBO and a DVR. The internet and cable tv that is provided by the landlord was perfectly fine and included many channels.

If Michelle Lowery is still the manager, I would feel reasonably confident that things ARE continuing to improve from where they were in 2012 and that the 2013 reviews are accurate. If not, then I have no basis for an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary