Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:23 AM

5 posts, read 9,613 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a relo to NC from Fairfield County, Ct and don't know which town to focus on, Cary, Wake Forest....we have 3 young children and are looking for a lifestylle change, swim,tennis, golf club type envirorment. Good schools and a safe neighborhood is a must, we can spend up to $600K, any thoughts or info? thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 12:43 PM

17 posts, read 165,291 times
Default Recommendations

There are a lot of places/areas to choose from here. Do you like small town feel, downtowns, big communities, farm land? There is a lot of information available on the web about the RDU area. Also consider where your employment will be at. That also would be a good indicator as to where to look closely at. We live in Knightdale and my wife works in Fuquay-Varina. Not far mileage wise but it takes her 45 minutes commute each way every day. Do you have year round schools there? Most elementary and middle schools here are. Good Luck.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:49 PM

6 posts, read 203,050 times
Cary sounds like a good fit for you and your family. Cary def. caters to swim/tennis with absolutely beautiful neighborhoods and great schools. Plus Cary is also a closer to Raleigh amenties than Wake Forest is. You should check out the Preston subdivision in Cary...

Old 11-01-2007, 01:49 PM

32 posts, read 92,345 times
I would check out Wake Forest, take at look at both Heritage in Wake Forest and Wakefield Plantation in North Raleigh. Growth is happening out this way, there is a ton to do and Raleigh is a short commute.

We moved here from Boston six years ago and haven't looked back. Compared to the communtes you're used to in New England, everything is relatively close in the Raleigh area.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:19 PM

8 posts, read 25,258 times
Where are you moving from in CT? We're moving to Cary from Westport.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:12 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,676,988 times
A lot of neighborhoods in the Triangle offer the kind of amenities you're looking for (golf, swim, tennis, gym). As far as schools go, there's a big range here in Wake County. Please check out Wake County Public School System's test scores on individual schools and then check out what neighborhoods are close to them.

Test Scores

Cary has always been quite desirable. And yeah, when most people think of golf in Cary they think of Preston and Macgregor Downs.

Old 11-02-2007, 04:07 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,693,412 times
I posted on a different thread in response to your question, but just in case you didn't see it I would highly recommend you look in the Preston area. You don't have to live in Preston to join Prestonwood which is a beautiful country club. The social membership is around $17k and golf is around $40k. Preston itself would have some nice homes in your price range (some might even have golf course views if you like that). The schools in the Preston area are generally very good. There's also Highcroft, Carpenter Village, Cary Park (by no means an exhausitive list, but the ones I can think of off the top of my mind) that would be within your price range. They all have very nice neighborhood pools and excellent elementary schools. I'm not sure where you're from in Fairfield County, but I grew up in Wilton and my biggest warning is the lots are very small here compared to the two acres I grew up on. You might find 0.5 acres, but most houses in your price range would be in the 0.2 - 0.35 acre range. I haven't quite adjusted to having neighbors so close on both sides, but we do have a nice wooded lot so at least there's no one in back of us.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:34 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Moved to Cary from Fairfield in May 2003. I grew up in Westchester and my wife is from Wilton, Ct. I'm now moving to Apex. Now that we know for sure that this is home, we have decided to build our dream home here.

We had no trouble at all adjusting to the area,but we were honestly pretty fed up with Ffld Co. I commuted to Greenwich by car-a daily nightmare. We hated the weather. We were simply priced out of the area. Best decision we ever made.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:51 AM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
Given your price range, I think you will be able to find what you are looking for in both Cary and Wake Forest. They both have golf, swim/tennis, safe neighborhoods, schools etc. My suggestion would be to come down for a visit and tour both Cary and Wake Forest. You will get a better feel for the area and what each place has to offer. You will know what feels right. Good luck.

Old 11-02-2007, 03:54 PM

5 posts, read 9,613 times
wow, thanks everybody! We are moving from Newtown Ct. Prices up here are nuts, we think we could have a better lifestyle and give our kids more with a relo, and the weather isn't to great either. My husband really just needs to be close to an airport, right now most are over 1 hour away. We are both from the northest and this is a big move, but we think it's time.My oldest daughter loves to ride so we would love to find a good english (hunter/jumper) stable in the vicinity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary