Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 02:29 PM

7 posts, read 14,568 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am pretty new here but would be very appreciative if you could help with some relocation questions:
My wife and I are in our mid-20's and are looking to move somewhere in the Triangle area but don't know very much about it except it is really beautiful and has lots of job opportunites.
We are looking for a home in the 170-200K range in a safe, clean place to raise a family that is within 25 minutes from job opportunites. I work in the business field and she is hoping to get into the finance field of some sort. It would be great to find an area that has a lot of growing real estate and industry.
Can you suggest a particular area to look for homes and areas to look for a job? -Thanks for you help!

-Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 02:31 PM

Also, any suggestions on what areas to avoid?

Old 11-01-2007, 02:37 PM

4 posts, read 13,542 times
Hi Matt,
There are portions of Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina and also north to N Raleigh, Wake Forest and even Youngsville that may meet your needs; however, if you live in Holly Springs and work in N raleigh your commute may be longer than 25 min.
especially if you're traveling during rush hours.
N

Old 11-01-2007, 02:40 PM

551 posts, read 1,869,014 times
I recommend you find the jobs first and then the house. Take a short term rental, then you will have a better idea what suits you when you know where you are working.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:45 PM

324 posts, read 1,281,135 times
We are looking for exactly the same price-range and also in our mid-twenties and want 1600+sqft and am very attracted to newer floor plans. We won't be buying until March but so far I'm really liking the Riverside subdivision. We went to three open houses last Sunday and it was great! The yard is a lot smaller than what I thought we would get but I'm already liking the idea of less yard (or should I say just enough for just starting out?). Plus the location is really close to 540 and Triangle Town Center, plus the conviences of Capital Blvd. Check out hpw.com and you can look at specific subdivisions. They have high ceilings, built 2000-2002, have 3+ bedrooms, 2.5 bath, I am way to excited.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:02 PM

wow you guys have been really helpful so far, how about builders that are selling homes with great incentives?

Old 11-01-2007, 03:08 PM

I'm not sure where you will be working but the difficulty I'm finding with new building developments is they are not in great locations in that price range and most are in east raleigh so commuting would be rough. Actually...during Parade Of Homes we went to a few and the neighborhoods were a bit scary. If you find a a builder within commuting distance even of 40 minutes in that price in a decent neighborhood I am also very interested, from what I've seen there is nothing unless you are interested in a townhome/condo.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:28 PM

6 posts, read 202,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
I recommend you find the jobs first and then the house. Take a short term rental, then you will have a better idea what suits you when you know where you are working.
I agree that you should find the jobs first, and buy a home second. Also, by obtaining a short-term rental first, you'll have time to learn of the good and not-so-good areas to buy in, have time to refine your preferences, etc. And trust me, it's much easier to obtain financing the longer you have been with your new job (I recently witnessed a loan almost fall through b/c a certain lender program and their requirements wouldn't consider the wife's income b/c she hadn't been on the job for at least one month-this was a fellow Realtor's deal).

In terms of locations, you'll def. want to consider Cary, Apex, Morrisville and other areas outside of the Raleigh beltline. You get more for your money typically and with only a 10-15 min. drive into Raleigh. These areas are very desirable and very up and coming.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:45 PM

I hear Cary is more expense and may be out of price range of 170-200K, what do you think? And getting more for my money like you said...always sounds good...where exactly is "outside the Raleigh beltline"? -thanks

Old 11-01-2007, 07:02 PM

If you look at a map you will see I-440 looping Raleigh. Outside the beltline usually refers to the areas north and around I-440. Inside the beltline are more historic older homes and cost a lot more. The inside is sort of the heart of Raleigh.

From what I've seen in that price range you could find something in Cary with 1200-1600 sqft and probably 80's or so in age. In North Raleigh you might find a ranch built in the 60's but might be a little more than 200k from what I have seen but if you sacrifice square footage then you could probably find something pretty easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary