Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:23 AM

224 posts, read 431,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Pet peeve, but if you want the benefits of being near a city/town -- good property values, schools, stoppin' by to use the parks, shopping -- isn't it unfair to want to be excluded from city taxes?

It's one thing to live out in deepest Franklin Co. or Granville Co. in a truly rural area where annexation will never happen. It's another to want to be riiiight up against the edge of a city but skip out on the taxes.

Yay free ridership.

Not saying we don't want to pay taxes. We pay taxes now in-city. Just need to know for financial plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 AM

5,733 posts, read 17,568,671 times
Quote:
Pet peeve, but if you want the benefits of being near a city/town -- good property values, schools, stoppin' by to use the parks, shopping -- isn't it unfair to want to be excluded from city taxes?
Schools are a county thing. I pay county taxes
Property values do not have anything to do with paying residential property city taxes
Shopping also has nothing to do with residential property city taxes

Parks. . . . OK. . . got me there. I go to Lake Wheeler (Raleigh), and Hemlock Bluffs (Cary) occasionally. But mostly I go to Yates Mill (county) and Crowder (county).

How about the people who drive hybrids. . . could we say the same about them? They use the roads just as much as everyone else, but they pay less at the pump, so in effect they pay less taxes.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:38 AM

34,937 posts, read 36,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Schools are a county thing. I pay county taxes
Property values do not have anything to do with paying residential property city taxes
Shopping also has nothing to do with residential property city taxes

Parks. . . . OK. . . got me there. I go to Lake Wheeler (Raleigh), and Hemlock Bluffs (Cary) occasionally. But mostly I go to Yates Mill (county) and Crowder (county).

How about the people who drive hybrids. . . could we say the same about them? They use the roads just as much as everyone else, but they pay less at the pump, so in effect they pay less taxes.
Oh, they'll figure out how to tack a tax onto recharging an electric car eventually. Give'm time.

Also, I'm pretty sure a Hummer is harder on the road than a Prius.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,465,079 times
Quote:

It's one thing to live out in deepest Franklin Co. or Granville Co. in a truly rural area where annexation will never happen. It's another to want to be riiiight up against the edge of a city but skip out on the taxes.

Yay free ridership.
For some of us it's not all about taxes or even about services. I personally want to be able to grow my own food and have milk goats but not live so far away that the commute into work is a killer. It's already enough work to do all the livestock chores without adding an hour commute to the list. We did buy a farm in Oxford and tried that lifestyle for several years. We pretty much slept about 4 hours a night for the whole time we lived there because of the commute times combined with the chores. Is it really too much to ask to live near your job but still have freedom on your own property?

Old 05-14-2013, 07:58 AM

224 posts, read 431,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
For some of us it's not all about taxes or even about services. I personally want to be able to grow my own food and have milk goats but not live so far away that the commute into work is a killer. It's already enough work to do all the livestock chores without adding an hour commute to the list. We did buy a farm in Oxford and tried that lifestyle for several years. We pretty much slept about 4 hours a night for the whole time we lived there because of the commute times combined with the chores. Is it really too much to ask to live near your job but still have freedom on your own property?
Yes, in our case, we'd love to avoid an HOA and be able to do things without thinking of getting approval.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:32 AM

4,256 posts, read 4,685,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie1 View Post
I thought there was a state law that prevented forcible annexation by requiring nearly total neighborhood buy - in?
The General Assembly adopted a law to restrict involuntary annexation in 2011, but a Wake County Superior Court judge ruled the law unconstitutional. The General Assembly then adopted a replacement law. It's my understanding, however, that the law requires a simple majority of affected residents to approve involuntary annexation. That's not "nearly total neighborhood buy-in".

In addition there is a proposed constitutional amendment currently in consideration at the General Assembly. I don't think we have heard the last on this question.

Last edited by wizard-xyzzy; 05-14-2013 at 08:50 AM..

Old 05-14-2013, 11:19 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,774,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbornNClivin View Post
Yes, in our case, we'd love to avoid an HOA and be able to do things without thinking of getting approval.
There are older neighborhoods in Cary (etc) that still don't have HOAs.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,670,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
OP? For that particular area, I'd go ahead and factor in city taxes and see if that still works for your budget.
One thing to think about with regard to city vs county taxes are the services included in the city that you pay for when in the county. Yes, county living is still less expensive, but its not as cut and dry as 50% off.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:06 PM

5,733 posts, read 17,568,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
One thing to think about with regard to city vs county taxes are the services included in the city that you pay for when in the county.
Like what?

In the country, you probably have your own septic system and water well. If not, you pay for water through a private company. No charge for sewage except pumping out the septic tank once every 5-10 years.

We pay for private garbage collection instead of paying it to the city.

The county maintains our streets, provides fire department and police. . . .

Old 05-14-2013, 02:54 PM

4,256 posts, read 4,685,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
The county maintains our streets
Not in North Carolina. If you're outside a city limit, your street is maintained by NCDOT. Good luck dealing with them if your street develops a pothole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary