Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:15 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,367,522 times

Advertisements

It's fine, European. I reckoned you were from Europe where ghetto originated and might not have the racial connotations that it does here. Where in Europe are you from? Chapel Hill and Carrboro are pretty diverse for North Carolina and the South and there are a fair number of Europeans and other international folks. I know quite a few—British, German, Polish, knew a French family, but they moved. Anyway, I think you will like it. You can probably find a rental in that price range, but it is a bit low. Check out Fidelity Court area in Carrboro. I know several families that live there. Older buildings, but reasonable rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 03:42 PM

15 posts, read 34,662 times
We are from Spain.

Old 05-19-2013, 04:54 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,579,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
If there was any area to avoid, i'd say north of Rosemary St in west CH, but other than that, there isn't really a bad area.
That area is the only predominantly African American area of Chapel Hill, but i would not by any means call it a ghetto.

Old 05-19-2013, 05:08 PM

413 posts, read 1,256,580 times
UCCTGG, You are forgetting Rogers Rd area, which is north of town. That is also a historic, predominantly African American area of Chapel Hill but would not call it a ghetto either.
European123, if your rental budget is around $1000 you should be able to find a 2 bedroom in Carrboro. I would recommend looking around Jones Ferry Rd or Hwy 54, although some of the apartment complexes on 54 are geared to the university students, so be aware of that. Good luck!

Old 05-19-2013, 08:46 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,579,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausmerika View Post
UCCTGG, You are forgetting Rogers Rd area, which is north of town. That is also a historic, predominantly African American area of Chapel Hill but would not call it a ghetto either.
Right you are!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:37 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,367,522 times
As far as African American neighborhoods, there's also the Crest St area down around Lincoln Center. Lots of student rentals in there now, but that's also a historically black neighborhood. Doug Clark of Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts lived there until his death. I have some white friends who live in Northside, too, and I think they're happy there. I'm really glad that they've built Northside school in there to keep it a family-oriented neighborhood and not turn it into all student rentals.

European, we have had a lot of spanish speaking folks from Mexico and Central America move to NC in the past 10-20 yrs. Growth has been exponential. I would guess your husband is going to be teaching in the dual language program at FPG or Carrboro? FPG has just been made a Spanish dual language magnet school so this coming year will be a bit of a transition year for the school. There are a lot of first generation Hispanic kids in these programs. It's probably about half native speakers (although most Mexican/Central America and not from Spain) and about half English-speaking American kids who want to learn (or whose parents want them to learn) Spanish. It's a very popular program.

Avoid Collins Crossing apartments. They have had a lot of trouble lately with raising rents and not doing needed maintenance (stairwells unsafe, etc), but most other apartment complexes are okay. Some may be older and some may be full of university students, but Collins Crossing is the only one I can think of that I would say to avoid outright. Your price point is a little low, but teacher pay is low in NC unfortunately. I hope you have a great experience here in NC. I'd look in Carrboro to be close to FPG and Carrboro Elementary. It's a pretty walkable community, too. There are free buses in town, too, which is nice if you don't have a car or only have one.

Last edited by poppydog; 05-20-2013 at 07:49 AM..

Old 05-20-2013, 02:32 PM

Hey!! You're great. I will look for the places you say, and perhaphs I will raise the budget if it is worth. As far as I have time until August I will keep looking for the best option.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,170,601 times
Just a word of caution about waiting till August to lock in something. Since this is predominantly a university time our rentals revolve around the school calendar and are usually spoken for months in advance even if not ready till August or the new school year. I own some rental property and rent mainly to medical students. I had 2 vacancy notices in March and they have been spoken for since only 1 week after notice was given. And they won't be vacant till July. People do not hesitate to put down a deposit 5 months in advance! So don't dilly dally too long!

Old 05-21-2013, 04:41 PM

128 posts, read 290,601 times
If you are from Spain and your children speak Spanish, you would be able to apply to the magnet school for the dual language program with good odds of getting in. So far, the dual language program in CH-Carrboro seems to be a great choice and we have been very happy with it. My son speaks Spanish beautifully and is above grade level in both reading and math. I would recommend it.

There are some townhouses and apartments near FPG, and they would be in your price range. Although $900-$1000 is on the lower end for Chapel Hill and Carrboro. There is also the Glen Lennox neighborhood which is in the walk zone for Glenwood, and is a nice neighborhood and a good school. Finally, Carrboro has some properties in that price range.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:03 PM

I'm looking for some rentals that raising a bit the budget could be ok. I've seen some of them on Sykes st and Pritchard St. They're close to Rosemary St, which you said wasn't the better place. I have also seen on Rock Haven Rd, Forbush Mountain Dr, Winterberry Dr and Mcgrgor Dr. What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary