Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,872,068 times

Advertisements

I'll make this short and sweet by just saying life here isn't like Mayberry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 07:21 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
You only get out of it what you put into it ...... if you are friendly and outgoing you will be rewarded with the same.
Absolutely, pitroad. But this is an inquiry about the culture. Sounds like it's laid-back socially, but the workplace can be stressful due to the tight economy (unless you work in academia).

Old 05-15-2013, 07:44 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,686,955 times
Very strange...we moved in, got no pie. Neighbors across the street moved in a mere 2 weeks later, got a pie. Go figure!

If the neighbors don't bring a pie, take one to them! Breaks the ice just as well.

True story...i moved in to a house that was two doors down from a friend. She called and asked if it would be okay to bring something over...showed up with a box of those dehumidifying crystals for my basement. I laughed and said "Oh, Marylee, I thought you were bringing us a cake or something!" She turned bright red, left, and came back two hours later with a cake. I felt bad, but it was a really good cake. The dehumidifying crystals worked pretty well also.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 PM

7,141 posts, read 4,735,089 times
I used to live in Seattle. Been in NC for almost 17 yrs. now. The business climate here has changed tremendously. People are out to get what they can for themselves, and have become more back stabbing types of people, in business. Maybe it's the economy, I don't know, but it's way different than years ago.

Business dress has gotten much more casual than a decade ago. I hardly see women wearing dresses or suits anymore. Usually slacks.

As for the neighbors, it does depend on your particular block. I know my neighbors who live on this street, but no one socializes with each other.

Pretty much, this area has much more of a big-city mentality in every way than when I moved here. The roads are terrible if you have to drive in rush hour traffic, especially to Chapel Hill from Raleigh or vice versa.

No more Mayberry is right!

Of course, I'm one who moved here not by completely falling in love with NC. I found it tolerable, nice enough, but would not have moved here if not for my job. Sounds like you're moving here by choice, which will make it much more pleasant for you.

best,
toodie

Old 05-16-2013, 08:12 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I'm not a fan of trying to generalize the business climate or general social personalty of neighborhoods by geographic region because it honestly varies on a case by case basis. I have friends who live in Manhattan and work in very relaxed environments and friends in Raleigh in hectic ones - And of course the opposite is true as well. Your neighborhood can be heaven on Earth, but if a jerk moves in just next door it affects you directly in a very negative way while not impacting or being a true reflection of the neighborhood as a whole.

In my experience life is what you make of it and your personal choices have a much more measurable impact on lifestyle than the geographic region in which you reside.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm not a fan of trying to generalize the business climate or general social personalty of neighborhoods by geographic region because it honestly varies on a case by case basis. I have friends who live in Manhattan and work in very relaxed environments and friends in Raleigh in hectic ones - And of course the opposite is true as well. Your neighborhood can be heaven on Earth, but if a jerk moves in just next door it affects you directly in a very negative way while not impacting or being a true reflection of the neighborhood as a whole.

In my experience life is what you make of it and your personal choices have a much more measurable impact on lifestyle than the geographic region in which you reside.

I do believe that geographical location indeed does affect a person's psyche. For example, if I had to move back to SW Louisiana, I would definitely be affected by the location, and would not be happy there. A person can only do so much to make things tolerable sometimes. Positive thinking is good, but I have lived places that even though I had tons of friends, and lots of activities, fine work environment, nice home, I still couldn't wait to get outta there.
jmho of course!

best,
toodie

Old 05-16-2013, 11:58 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I do believe that geographical location indeed does affect a person's psyche.
I don't believe we are talking about the same thing. You are talking about an individuals personal reaction to their environment. Of course that depends on the individual, their personality, and how they cope with their environment around them.

What I am saying is you can't point to a city or place and say - "everyone will be affected the same way by this place and everyone in that city/place behaves the same". Their are too many individual mitigating circumstances that will make a person's experience and actions vary on a case by case basis.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't believe we are talking about the same thing. You are talking about an individuals personal reaction to their environment. Of course that depends on the individual, their personality, and how they cope with their environment around them.

What I am saying is you can't point to a city or place and say - "everyone will be affected the same way by this place and everyone in that city/place behaves the same". Their are too many individual mitigating circumstances that will make a person's experience and actions vary on a case by case basis.
Oh, I see what you're saying. Makes sense.
I thought the OP was asking for personal experiences, so that's why I explained my personal experience. I think everyone knows things can't be generalized very well. You're right.
best,
toodie

Old 05-16-2013, 01:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,803,781 times
Compare to Seattle, Raleigh is still conservative and boring. Very much a married town that caters to families, not us singles. Seattle has tons of stuff to do at your fingerstips,unlike Raleigh where you have to go and seek stuff to do.....(that justs kills me). I will give Raleigh this....Affordable housing...Be glad you got out.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:09 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
Absolutely, pitroad. But this is an inquiry about the culture. Sounds like it's laid-back socially, but the workplace can be stressful due to the tight economy (unless you work in academia).
Academia is usually the most back-stabbing of all, I've heard from those who work there (I was briefly, but in a staff position, not faculty).

Population has grown something like 40% since you were here, of course traffic is worse. Yes, there are a few new roads, but they can never keep up with the infulx of new residents (ditto for schools).

Yes, the tech industry uses lots of contractors and temps, though they seem to be "of indefinite duration".

Business casual is typical for most people's workplaces whom I know, unless of course you're meeting with clients, etc.

I am in state govt, formerly a more relaxed, stable place, and with the changeover in administration (among other things), it's as crazy as anywhere else, at least right now. Lots of contractors, lots of shuffing at the top, lots of "waiting for the other shoe to drop" and 'surprises' almost every week if not more. That should of course stablize as the new Administration gets their folks put in, but I've been with the state a long time, and never seen things as drastic as right now. They are advancing bills to remove a lot of the protections that state employees and teachers have had in the past, too.

I periodically look around thinking of changing jobs, but at least in this area, it seems like almost every workplace is stressful and unpredictable right now. Maybe that's how it's always been...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary