Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:22 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,766 times

Advertisements

Ok, this is our first year here and I am so tired of hearing "EOG, EOG".
I'm a teacher, so we hear it all the time at work, and my kids have heard it all year in school. My daughter said all year she hears how they have to pay attention because what they are about to learn could be on the EOG. She says she feels they are more concerned with teaching her about a test than what she needs to know and if she hears it any more, she's going to scream.
WHY is there so much hype about this test. the kids are bringing home thick homework packets of EOG test prep, they have days of practice tests in place of curriculum, and are told they can fail if they don't pass the EOG.
Shouldn't a test measure what a child knows, and not what we've prepped them to know for the test?
We had a state test where we were,but there was not so much emphasis on it being the "end all" and we didn't spend the year teaching to the test.
My daughter's science teacher didn't teach science all year (middle school) and took several "leaves" and passed out worksheets when she was there. Now she is gone for the year and they have had subs, yet she is told this big science test is a huge part of her grade-doesn't seem fair.
Why such a big deal about tests? Please share what I am missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 05:53 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
The standardized tests are not part of their grade as far as I know. This year's test are particularly important because of the new curriculum, but the results won't even be available until October!
Anyway, maybe how heavily it's emphasized is school by school because my middle schooler hasn't gotten much about the tests until last week, which was the week right before the tests (YR school, they're testing this week). No packets except for optional practice. I think they've had some test taking strategy sessions after school which is always beneficial.
Anyway, I know there are major limitations to these tests and have heard others complain about the same thing, but we really haven't had too much of that. Some kids seem to internalize the stresof them more than other too. We;re almost done and it's been fine.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:02 PM

9,778 posts, read 15,788,843 times
We moved here from Northern Virginia (outside DC), and schools are just as crazy over their state tests there, too or perhaps even crazier.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 PM

167 posts, read 304,069 times
The school Mine are taking them next week It is a New school so many are not sure But The school started preping over spring break the teacher have been keeping on track teaching as normal but then reviewing an hour or so each day,Most of the kids are well prepared , Notes have come home to the parent keep every thing normal/eat well/be on time .We have a 3rd grade taking them for the first time and I have been in the class room when the teacher were reviewing, Most of our kids are ready and do good , I do not under stand why any school would not have work books etc ( some must have not order them !) long before now! It crazy to do the push and stress the children/youth out over it, I know after next week lot of kids will be less stressed!In most schools,

Old 05-15-2013, 06:52 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,878,027 times
The EOG student test results are also used to rate the overall performance of the school and teaching staff which triggers other things if the school is not performing up to expectations, such as parents then being allowed to request their children to be transferred to another school unless that has now been changed.

Wake County has some great school teachers but the school board keeps making drastic changes like the wind blows and I'm glad my son will finally be graduating out of the WCPSS later this month.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:10 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
The EOG prep situation is out of control down here. It makes me C-R-A-Z-Y because these tests are to judge the school and teachers, not the kids. I have to un-do all the stress they put on the kids every year. My kids are really hating school by the time EOGs roll around.

We moved here from a top district with top scores in NY and they NEVER did this kind of talking about it up there. They actually trusted that if they taught the curriculum it would all show up on the tests. Crazy, I know.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:13 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
I think it depends on the teachers and the school. I have a 3rd grader, so this is her first year of EOGs, and also a 6th grader. They have definitely talked about it and the 3rd grader has been asking her sister about it some, but I don't think they've talked about it all year long. It's just in the past month or so that they've been prepping the kids for it and I don't think it's all day prep or anything, more like the homework they're getting is formatted like the test.

FTR, I am not a fan of the tests, and especially timed tests at all. The timed tests make my 6th grader very anxious and are not a reflection of what she knows. I think it totally teaches the wrong message, too, "hurry up and get it done and guess if you have to" vs "take your time and do your best". Which is a better attitude for an adult to have? I know I'd rather work with someone who is careful and thoughtful and does their best than someone who hurries through a job just to get done with it.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:32 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Well, my DH has been having to take timed aptitude tests as part of recent job interviews, so I do think that while annoying, it's a still a skill they need to learn.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:57 AM

635 posts, read 1,617,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think it depends on the teachers and the school. I have a 3rd grader, so this is her first year of EOGs, and also a 6th grader. They have definitely talked about it and the 3rd grader has been asking her sister about it some, but I don't think they've talked about it all year long. It's just in the past month or so that they've been prepping the kids for it and I don't think it's all day prep or anything, more like the homework they're getting is formatted like the test.

FTR, I am not a fan of the tests,
Same here. My 3rd grader just started dealing with the EOG prep in earnest recently, and like the poster above, it's not all consuming. And most of it is not content based but rather making sure the kids understand the strategies associated with taking standardized tests - reading the instructions, crossing out answers that don't make sense as you work towards the correct answer, BUBBLING CORRECTLY on the answer sheet - if a kid gets one off in the order, the whole results get skewed.

I wish we didn't have to deal with the tests, and I especially wish the teachers didn't have so much seemingly riding on the outcomes. I know my DDs teacher is FANTASTIC and I have no idea why someone thinks two tests are going to prove that. She is doing so many things to make the kids relax about the testing though, and it's appreciated. They will have a special breakfast each morning in their classroom, each day there will be a note from their parent(s) on their desk to encourage them, she calls the tests by a silly name to reduce the stress about it, they made lucky t-shirts in class this week for the testing (they researched various lucky symbols for homework), etc. And these are all AIG kids who will probably perform the best out of the entire grade on the tests. The school also does an incentive program where students who use their test strategies during the exam (showing work on scratch paper, going back and reviewing answers/checking bubbling, etc) can earn tickets to put in a drawing for a few big prizes. It's all kind of silly, but my kid has no anxiety about these tests.

Along with hating the testing for the kids and the teachers, I am in Durham and know that many eschew the schools here because they are looking solely at the schools' scores. I think a fair number of those parents that claim to hate the tests and the focus on testing then turn around and dismiss a whole school or system because of said scores. Can't have it both ways, people!! Frustrates me!

Last edited by jill7930; 05-16-2013 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: grammar/clarity

Old 05-16-2013, 09:37 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,212,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The EOG prep situation is out of control down here. It makes me C-R-A-Z-Y because these tests are to judge the school and teachers, not the kids. I have to un-do all the stress they put on the kids every year. My kids are really hating school by the time EOGs roll around.

We moved here from a top district with top scores in NY and they NEVER did this kind of talking about it up there. They actually trusted that if they taught the curriculum it would all show up on the tests. Crazy, I know.
they don't talk about them much at all at our school, so we must be a great school. I guess your school is on the verge of falling into "don't want to go there" status.****

**** tongue firmly in cheek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary