Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times

Advertisements

I'm not exactly sure what a hick is, but I have an idea and you can find the exact same people in Brooklyn and South Boston that you can find in some parts of Raleigh.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:01 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I think I know what the OP is getting at.

Being a local, and having older relatives, I've heard a great deal over the years of locals complaining about how the transplants (NE ones in particular) want to come here and "show us the 'right' way to do things."

People get frustrated for no reason.

The reality is that if everything was perfect back home, many transplants would never have relocated. Most I have met seek to bring along the nice things from where they used to live and acclimate to the nice things about this area. No harm there.

The know-it-alls are the types I presume to have had an inflated sense of self LONG before they moved here from NY/NJ/where ever else.

Old 05-18-2013, 11:07 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Overall, I don't think of the area as being "hick"ish, but if you drive into Pittsboro or out in other rural areas in Orange or Chatham counties - yeah, it is pretty slow.

I think of the area as small city (or 2 actually), with rural surroundings. The people in the cities/suburbs are like people everywhere, as they are from everywhere. Some people in the outskirts could probably be called hicks or country - very country.

(Twingles, we had friends on LI and all the mail they sent us was postmarked Hicksville, too. I always got a good laugh over that.)

Old 05-18-2013, 11:10 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I'm not exactly sure what a hick is, but I have an idea and you can find the exact same people in Brooklyn and South Boston that you can find in some parts of Raleigh.
A hick is like a redneck, I suppose - a person from a very small town or out in the country who doesn't know big city ways. A hick from the sticks is what we'd say when we'd drive around PA.

I'm sure there are many people who live in Brooklyn or South Boston who can be described with unflattering terms, but I'm not sure hick would be an accurate one, unless he's a very recent transplant.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:27 PM

224 posts, read 432,427 times
When my family was moving here from southern California and I was in high school, I really thought we were moving to "the country" but my dad promised us it was cosmopolitan. lol

Old 05-18-2013, 02:45 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
There is a world of difference between rural, uneducated people in NC and educated people in the larger cities.

We have to suffer due to their (the rural, educated people's) decisions, unfortunately.

They are hicks.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:19 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
Raleigh people, no. But I think anywhere more rural is where people think of the term "hick". I'm way from WI and out in the country (where some of my family lives) it is known to be "hick town". Now I have some redneck family members up there and they're proud of it and don't even want to move to anywhere urban. I don't think it's necessarily the south because there are rural areas everywhere. I went far enough north in WI to a really small town and all the people there had what sounded like southern accents! It was funny.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:41 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
I was born and raised in Louisburg, NC and have spent the last 25 years in LA, NYC, Boston and Atlanta. There are plenty of Camaro-driving, double-wide trailer-livin' rednecks in California and New York State also.

I think NC is the greatest state in the country as far as being progressive, forward-thinking and planning for the future. I don't know if its towns and cities will ever be able to shake off the small-town mentality however.

NC has a long way to go accepting gay people like me. Every time I'm at home and casually mention anything gay-related, people are so caught offguard that their face flinches in shock.

That and being up in everybody else's business is very "hick" to me.

Also all the men wearing pleated pants and unstylish shoes and clothes in general is quite different from large cities.

If asked, a custodian in NYC could pick out a better bottle of champagne and a better looking men's suit than most NC millionaires. I guarantee you that.

Old 05-18-2013, 08:56 PM

3 posts, read 3,926 times
Grew up about 18 miles outside of midtown Manhattan, went to school in Philly and moved here in 1986. There are "hicks" everywhere, including NJ.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:33 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
There is a world of difference between rural, uneducated people in NC and educated people in the larger cities.

We have to suffer due to their (the rural, educated people's) decisions, unfortunately.

They are hicks.
Don't you mean rural, uneducated people's decisions? it seems especially bad lately and N.C. is being talked about around the country in unflattering ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary