Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 AM

206 posts, read 310,343 times

Advertisements

just sayin, you sound like an awesome person!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 10:35 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Of course, I was taken from two schools I liked and from the various friends.
And I was taught to look ahead, in anticipation, rather than to wallow in what was behind me.

I am a firm believer that adulthood, marriage, and leadership by example are the foundation, not catering to kids' whims.
But, that was years before the phrase "helicopter parents" was coined.
^ this!

Old 05-19-2013, 11:51 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

People slobber and drool and moan and groan about all the hardships placed on kids, when kids often do not notice until the slobbering and drooling is pushed upon them.
Kids don't grow if everything is handed to them upon their whim.
Amen. There are much greater hardships than moving into a new house. Sheesh, if that's the worst your kids ever experience, they are incredibly blessed. It's this kind of "kids should never experience discomfort" philosophy that is creating a nation of spoiled brats and bullies.

To the OP, you should really read the book, "The Blessing of the Skinned Knee."

Old 05-19-2013, 01:15 PM

257 posts, read 491,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative2 View Post
Islander, I apologize for earlier comments. I'm in my 50's so its just the rants of an old fool stuck on old traditions. I do have a bad memory of moving when I was 8. I didn't want to but I had no say so. I would get used to it I was told. I did, but the bad memory of leaving that school and friends still stays with me. I remember being so sad, plus my dog had just died too.

My brother spent 20 years in the military and my nephew says he liked the travel but he hated having to move every 2 or 3 years. My brother loved it. I liked staying in the same neighborhood all my life. I guess I just hate the thought of breaking little kids hearts like mine was when I was little.

Its only my opinion that a home is more than just a memory. No offense to you.
Thank you for the apology, raleighnative. Everyone has different childhood experiences about moving. I was 12 years old when my parents migrated to the U.S. While I missed my schoolfriends, I knew it was a huge sacrifice they did to provide us with a better future and education in America -- the typical immigration story. We're moving to NC for our kids' future and education as well. If it was just for selfish personal reasons, we could stay in CA for the beautiful weather, if nothing else. but we're leaving behind friends and family members.. so we can give our kids a better life and more variety in the weather so they can be humbled during hot and humid summer and colder winter.

As a side note, if we didn't care about our kids' education, the hubby and I would have moved to Hawaii which was the original plan before the kids. But our children come first, and all parents know that we put aside a lot of personal interests and ambition during these growing years to ensure their future.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:07 PM

206 posts, read 310,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
Thank you for the apology, raleighnative. Everyone has different childhood experiences about moving. I was 12 years old when my parents migrated to the U.S. While I missed my schoolfriends, I knew it was a huge sacrifice they did to provide us with a better future and education in America -- the typical immigration story. We're moving to NC for our kids' future and education as well. If it was just for selfish personal reasons, we could stay in CA for the beautiful weather, if nothing else. but we're leaving behind friends and family members.. so we can give our kids a better life and more variety in the weather so they can be humbled during hot and humid summer and colder winter.

As a side note, if we didn't care about our kids' education, the hubby and I would have moved to Hawaii which was the original plan before the kids. But our children come first, and all parents know that we put aside a lot of personal interests and ambition during these growing years to ensure their future.

True!

Old 05-31-2013, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,904 times
28 moves. Shortest in one place 4 days. Of course this is since 1980 when industry started taking its lumps and have moved with the job ever since. Don't mind though, love going new places.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
I grew up in one house, but since starting my adult career I have lived in 13 apartments and houses in 5 different states. During one 5 year period I lived in six different places averaging just 10 months in each. I've now been in the Triangle since the late 90's and am glad the corporate relocation merry-go-round has finally stopped.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:40 PM

794 posts, read 1,324,994 times
My BF grew up in one house in the NE, that his parents still live in today and have no plans of moving. They have had many of the same neighbors since he was a child and he is still in contact with people from elementary school. Boggles my mind (not in a bad way...just different).

As a child the bulk of my years were in one house, but then I started moving around on my own. I remember when my parents sold the home I grew up in during my sophomore year in college...I was MAD, crying and yelling at them, even though I hated TX and was away at college, rarely returning. Silly emotions of youth!!

TX - 13 years (5-18 yrs old)
IN - 2 years (college)
CA - 4 years (college and after)

Then career took over and I went...
GA - 7 years (career move. Never thought I'd be there that long. Was 5 years in my first house. )
DC (VA & MD) - 4.5 years
NC - 2+ now (personal move...and never leaving...fingers crossed)

Old 05-31-2013, 03:10 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Bayside Queens, 7 years
Dix Hills NY, 4 years
Deer Park NY, 7 years
Potsdam NY, 2 years
---------On my own below--------
Canton NY, 4 years
Rochester NY, 3 years
Ithaca NY, 6 months *LOVED Ithaca!!! Moved within NCR/ATT to SC to flee layoffs
Columbia SC(Irmo actually), 4 years
Cary --- 18 years so far.
Kids were born in Cary so we have not moved them.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:53 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
When we came to NC we stayed in Zebulon just across the Johnston Co border in Franklin Co. We moved to Clayton after 11 months to be closer to work in Smithfield. After a year we moved again to Bunnlevel when the job moved to Harnett Co.
Then we moved back to the North Country and I have hated it ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary