Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,398 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am looking to move my family to the College Park neighborhood in 27610 zip. I like it because it is close to downtown. Anyone know how the neighborhood is?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 12:14 PM

924 posts, read 2,103,557 times
What are you looking for in a neighborhood (other than being close to downtown)? I actually live not too far from College Park, and I don't spend a ton of time there, but I'm fairly familiar with the area. College Park has been for the past few decades one of the rougher parts of Raleigh, although it's not that bad compared to a lot of tough neighborhoods in other cities, and there are some bright spots and signs of life. There has been a tremendous amount of revitalization in some of the nearby neighborhoods to the west, northwest, southwest, north, northeast, and east of College Park, and some in College Park itself, although less than in some of those adjacent neighborhoods. College Park has decent fundamental infrastructure and a fantastic location, so I think it has potential, especially in the longer term. For the time being, though, there still are more urban dysfunctional problems there, such as drug dealing and gun crime, than many people would be comfortable with, understandably. But as long as you take basic precautions and are not involved in crime or the drug trade yourself, it's not unlivable. Personally, depending on the situation and on the specific deal on housing I got, I would consider living in College Park, but preferably in the portion to the west of Hill Street, where there's been more stability and revitalization, rather than east of Hill Street, which is still a lot rougher. I actually have a casual friend who has lived in western College Park (between Tarboro Street and Hill Street) with his wife and young child for almost six years now, and has liked it a lot. He talks about how he was uneasy about it at first, but it has turned out basically fine, and actually is quite a bit quieter and safer-feeling now than when they first moved there, and he's still very positive about the direction of the neighborhood. He still is (I believe) a bit cautious about going to the part of the neighborhood east of Hill Street on foot after dark, although he has also mentioned that he has at least one friend (whom I've never met) who has bought, fixed up, and is living in a house east of Hill Street and has enjoyed it and had no significant problems. So who knows.

Anyway, overall, I'd say that depending on your preferences, your level of tolerance of a certain amount of urban grit, and what you're looking for in a home and a neighborhood, College Park could be either a really good choice, a very bad choice, or somewhere in between.

Last edited by tompope; 05-20-2013 at 01:28 PM..

Old 05-21-2013, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,398 times
Thank you Tompope. I am just looking for an affordable neighborhood that will be safe for myself and 3 children. There is currently a house for rent there and am curious about the area. I went to HS very close to there, and I remember it being not so nice, that was 15yrs ago though. Was wondering if its gotten better. I have talked to a few people and am thinking I will check the house out!

Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM

171 posts, read 430,211 times
College Park is poised for growth in the next few years. The city of Raleigh owns most of Idlewild (notice all the vacant lots) and 70% of East College Park (east of Hill St). The city needs to replace the sewer lines before major construction will begin, but you won't recognize the area in a few years. St. Augustine's College is the developer for Idlewild. The city is looking for Cooke St Part 2 and they're likely going to get it. I forget where Idlewild stops and College Park begins but the areas east of Tarboro will be the first to redevelop. Some new constructions are already fetching close to 200 per sq ft near Idlewild. Crime has decreased substantially in recent years, but everybody has a different comfort level. It's not Cary and some streets are better than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary