Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:40 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,205,997 times

Advertisements

Neat article in this weeks indy weekly about folks in chapel hill raising "urban chickens"!

Independent Weekly: Urban chickens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 07:59 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,730,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Neat article in this weeks indy weekly about folks in chapel hill raising "urban chickens"!

Independent Weekly: Urban chickens
Urban chickens are all the rage in many cities. In Portland we had friends who had 4 chickens on a 5000 sq foot city lot. Most cities have a limit of how many you can legally have. In Portland it was 3, but this friend liked the idea of pairs.

They were great for fresh, organic eggs and compost. If you do a google search of Urban Chickens it's amazing how many hits you would get.

Aftering visit some chickens in Chatam Co my son was bummed to hear we can't have any here... HOA rule against farm animals. For once I was glad to have that HOA rule to fall back on. I'm not a fan of eggs and it's alot of messy work for what you get.

Last edited by PDXmom; 11-02-2007 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,376,387 times
Omlet USA | Product and Services | Chickens | good living

I love the idea of getting one of these and keeping a couple of chickens so that I can have fresh eggs every day. I wonder how my neighbors would react.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:03 PM

306 posts, read 1,303,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdatlas View Post
Omlet USA | Product and Services | Chickens | good living

I love the idea of getting one of these and keeping a couple of chickens so that I can have fresh eggs every day. I wonder how my neighbors would react.
Perhaps you were impacted by that seventies sitcom The Good Life (retitled Good Neighbors in the US). BBC - Cult - Classic TV - BBC - Title Sequences - The Good Life. I suspect my mid-life crisis will lean in this direction rather than a sports car. I would forgo the life-stock though and focus on home-grown fruits and vegetables.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:13 PM

847 posts, read 3,514,995 times
We (okay, I) wanted chickens when we moved here, but after some research found out that they were not allowed in the Durham city limits. Now I can't find the code supporting that. We don't have an HOA. Would love specific confirmation about Durham!

Old 11-03-2007, 06:03 AM

285 posts, read 1,037,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by welovedurham View Post
We (okay, I) wanted chickens when we moved here, but after some research found out that they were not allowed in the Durham city limits. Now I can't find the code supporting that. We don't have an HOA. Would love specific confirmation about Durham!
Yikes! Well, that might slant me in my choice between whether to live in Durham or Chapel Hill/Carrboro. I need to look into this, as we are thinking of getting some chickens... If they aren't allowed, certainly, it's time for Durham citizens to try to change the regulations.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:27 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,730,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaClaire View Post
Yikes! Well, that might slant me in my choice between whether to live in Durham or Chapel Hill/Carrboro. I need to look into this, as we are thinking of getting some chickens... If they aren't allowed, certainly, it's time for Durham citizens to try to change the regulations.
I like that idea! We can spin it that some how chickens will make Durham seem like a safer, more down to earth place.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:57 PM

If it were a weekday, I'd call Durham One Call and find out for sure! But since it's not I've burrowed down in the minutiae of the zoning ordinance and think that in my house's zone, we are not allowed to have chickens. "In the RS districts, agricultural uses shall only be permitted in the RS-20 District."

If you are interested, find your zone:
Durham, NC - City of Medicine (http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/departments/planning/atlas.cfm - broken link)

and here is the pertinent part of the UDO:
http://www.durhamnc.gov/departments/...pdf/udo_05.pdf

And I will gladly sign a Power to the Urban Chicken People petition!

Old 11-04-2007, 11:11 AM

578 posts, read 3,075,399 times
In high school I lived on a super small farm that was mostly used for running a landscaping business. We had a dozen chickens once and I had the un-pleasure of caring for them. I can say without a doubt that chicken crap is THE WORST animal waste I had to deal with. Worse than 2 pigs, 1 bull cow, or the hut full of pheasants that I raised for 4H. The endless eggs were nice, though. And it made for a fun high school Halloween stink fest. And in the end I was able to confirm they really can run around with their heads off. And flip. And jump. And flap. And one even bawked. Spooky stuff.

Old 11-08-2007, 08:12 PM

Hey, it's the Power to the Urban Chicken People petition !

Chickens in Durham Petition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary