Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2007, 03:28 PM

48 posts, read 151,050 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are new here in Clayton, from Mass. We are loving it here.

I was hoping maybe I could get some help on this question. My hubby is self employed...(A AWESOME CONTRACTOR if anyone needs a great carpenter out there)
LOL
So we have to pay our own health benefits. In Ma maternity coverage is not an option, but here in NC it is. It is a big difference $$$ each month. Has anyone dealt with this? I mean what IF a pregnancy occurs, you have no coverage? That is what I am told from BCBS.
Yes be careful..... we know. But in the event opps, what do people do, I can only imagine what a whole 10 months care would cost!!!!!!!!!!!
If anyone can offer some advise or have run into this situation, we would greatly appreciate the feedback. AS ALWAYS!

Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2007, 06:01 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Medicaid helped my co-worker's daughter.

If you make too much to qualify, you might try to get a job with employer coverage.

Maternity charges can be high especially if the baby needs some extra care in a neonatal unit.

Shameful way we run a country, eh?

Old 11-25-2007, 07:13 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,083 times
City-Data Forum - Search Results

Old 11-25-2007, 10:05 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,083,501 times
I have to agree that the way BCBS has their individual plans set up without maternity coverage is RIDICOLOUS!!!! We were going to purchase one, but waited too long. I got pregnant. We even asked if we could back pay the maternity coverage & of course no deal. It's BS!!

Luckily for us we have insurance through dh's contracting company, but it's subpar imo, but at least it's insurance!

Good luck!!! I hope you figure something out.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:26 PM

3 posts, read 21,342 times
We are also in this situation. We've added maternity coverage for next year - so just 1 more month of being extremely careful. Our rate will increase by about $240/month for the maternity option (on top of the annual plan increase). I was also informed that should pregnancy occur before the 1/1/08 start date, they will not pay any expense related to the pregnancy.

Also, I believe you need to elect the maternity option upon your initial enrollment. Otherwise, it can only be added during the annual renewal period (as long as the policy has been in effect for at least six months) or as a result of a qualifying life event. Tomorrow is the last day of the renewal period (not sure if this is the same for all BCBSNC plans).

Maybe you could look into a plan with a higher deductible. This will decrease your monthly cost a little. If you can set aside the money that you would have paid each month for a lower-deductible plan, you would have this ready in case you needed it to pay the expenses to reach the higher deductible amount. If you don't have many expenses, this is extra money in your pocket (rather than in theirs in the form of the monthly premium).

Good luck!

Old 11-30-2007, 09:10 PM

10 posts, read 33,484 times
I have researched this for myself, now 8 months pregnant with no insurance coverage. Unless you can qualify for medicaid, forget it you are on your own. I also looked into the maternity discount cards you see in the parenting magazines. They charge an astronomical upfront fee to negotiate with your dr's, labs, hospital, etc... You can do that yourself. If you end up having to pay out of your pocket, you will be surprised how much the doctors will work with you. Remember to negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. And save all your receipts for tax season. Good luck!

Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 4,417 times
tiffany. My cousin had a condition that made him uninsurable too. He went through this one company that was guaranteed issue. I think that the benefits were a little limited, but he gets good discounts on stuff. Would you like me to find out more info about it for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary